Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Where’s the nearest place to go to ride stuff like this:
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Testing the Pack Rat and Road Plus Tires on an April Fool’s Errand

Just been reading this fella’s blog about riding in Idaho and I really want to do some similar, ie bike packing/touring on a mixture of paved/unpaved roads, gravel, double track, fire road, snow through wide and wild, unspoilt landscapes.

I live in London. I love reading scotroutes’ stuff about his adventures in Scotland, but that is quite far for me. Is that my best bet? Where else is there? I’d even be tempted by France/Belgium/Netherlands but the terrain that’s within a few hours train ride all seems a bit, well, similar to the South East of England ie flattish and developed. Am I wrong?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Probably Finland. I rode with some friends from Finland to Poland and it was on a mix of tarmac, cycle path and gravel road. In Estonia and Lithuania the gravel roads were fine but in Latvia they were so rough and washboard like we sacked it off one day and got the train.

Finland was the most scenic and will do snow and hills. We loved Lithuania though.

Shackleton

In the uk and accessible from London? Probably Northumberland and the Borders. Train to somewhere north of Morpeth but before Berwick, ride west.

Cheezpleez

Torino-Nice Rally?

Scotland, for sure.

Or mid-Wales? Not quite the same but there’s some fantastic riding through the middle of beautiful empty landscapes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

null

null

null

null

null

null

SaxonRider

If you want something closer than Finland – indeed, accessible by train – yet quite beautiful and dramatic, then I wouldn’t rule out the Ardennes. I have a place in a small town in Luxemburg Province (Belgium), and the whole region is just lovely. Take a look, for example, at the topography around Roche-en-Ardennes. Rivers, forests, and rocky hills (ancient mountains?) galore! Plus, low population.

Roche-en-Ardennes region

Roche en Ardennes town

Belgian Ardennes

scotroutes
    molgrips
    Free Member

Wales, I’d say. There aren’t ‘gravel roads’ as such but there are forest fire roads which are what you’re going to get in the UK. Linked up with tarmac you could do a good job.

There’s this, but quite a bit of road: https://www.theracingcollective.com/walesduro.html#route

But otherwise it’s packed with fire-roads and jeep tracks.

shermer75
    Free Member

Or mid-Wales?

I was thinking mid Wales! I’ll take a look at the trains…

shermer75
    Free Member

Munrobiker that does, indeed, look incredible! Finland is prob more like a week’s holiday than a weekend or day trip tho, unfortunately 🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

then I wouldn’t rule out the Ardennes

I would definitely like to know more about the Ardennes, went there once about 15 years ago and loved it…

shermer75
    Free Member

Probably Northumberland and the Borders

Have you been? I know nothing about it..

molgrips
    Free Member

I love Finland with a passion and wish I’d never left, however a long distance tour on gravel there would be pretty samey!

Norway has a shedload of gravel too AFAIK but not an expert. I took the train between Bergen and Oslo a few times and as the train trundled across 8 hours of empty mountain and moorland I kept seeing what I presume was the access track for the train line coming and going, would have made an incredible bike ride.

shermer75
    Free Member

That Guardian article^^ looks nice!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bike packing/touring on a mixture of paved/unpaved roads, gravel, double track, fire road, snow through wide and wild, unspoilt landscapes.

I live in London.

Salisbury Plain.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unpopular opinion; ride locally.

Ok you wont get the feeling of complete remoteness but that’s just a matter of framing your photos nicely, for all you know the less filtered version of his ride involves dodging the logging and mining traffic those paths were built for and a constant stream of jeeps and trail bikes (something made those ruts!).

Somewhere in Idaho someone has looked at a blog of the south downs way and planned to come and ride it.

tjagain

Scotland – thats the sort of riding I like to do nowadays and last summer we did a tour mainly on estate tracks which fit your criteria. Long gravel roads of varying quality with no gnarr or hikabike thru lovely scenery.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2czSLTS]IMG_1363[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dBiA1y]DSC_0444[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

shermer75
    Free Member

Long gravel roads of varying quality with no gnarr or hikabike thru lovely scenery.

That’s exactly the kind of thing I mean! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Somewhere in Idaho someone has looked at a blog of the south downs way and planned to come and ride it.

I was in Montana a whole ago. Got talking to a local in the bar, after the “where are you from” bit conversation , among other things chat turned to fishing. Given how stunning Montana is, I mentioned how much I wanted to fish there (this was in winter, so I was skiing instead!).

I then clarified where I live by mentioning the river that runs down the way. It’s a rather well know spot for trout.

He practically fell to his knees and begged to come and fish with me!

Your every day local is someone else’s dream location.

tjagain

shermer – I have done quite a few trips like that – and scoped out a few more so if you want any tips on routes I am happy to oblige – you see the bike we are riding – hikabike is no fun with that ( although bits are sometimes unavoidable)

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you don’t need that then with good route planning even in the south east / south central you can gain feelings of remoteness. More tracks are quiet outside the odd honey pots.

scotroutes

Jump on the sleeper train. Get off at Corrour station.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Mid wales. Have a look at the area west of the elan valley. Its like a little Scotland. Very remote and deserted. I rode the trans cambrian way earlier this year with Mtb Wales. 106 miles over 3 days. This was fully supported with a guide but you could do it yourself which might be better if gravel is your thing. There is also a route north to south wales but I cant remember what its called.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Mid Wales has got some great isolated bits with gravel and forest roads linked by quiet tarmac back lanes.

A couple of bothys too.

Some decent climbs as well.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Fatbikedog – Lon Las Cymru would be a decent shout.

Cheezpleez

Sussex earlier this year. There’s lots more like that.

Cheezpleez

… or there’s Scotland

tjagain

Has anyone suggested Scotland yet?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4RVaP7]09 Towards Glen Coe[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4RR5zt]23 Track back toward Glen Nevis[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4RVjGY]35 Downhill track with Schiehallion[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

scotroutes

2 minutes from Corrour Station

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bkf7uZ]P1050233[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ta11pau1

Scotland is great, but if you live in London/SE UK, the Alps are the same time/distance away.

The Ardennes are great, been there on a Motorbike holiday but it’s very much wooded valleys and tight twisty roads following rivers, not much gravel or massive scenerey.

I’d go a little further south to the Vosges Mountains: https://goo.gl/maps/GHo6BUr2u6R1bnS36

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Say what you like about Australia, but those roads and scenery could be right here in Victoria. I can hit roads like that 10 mins from my door and could carry on indefinitely, if the legs and SWMBO was willing.
    If you prefer a way marked route, there are loads springing up all over the place. I have this one on my list for my 50th, https://www.mundabiddi.org.au/ 1000+ Kilometres of trail.

samunkim
    Free Member

Inland Algarve exactly like that

greencroft
    Free Member

Scotland has lots to offer but slightly nearer to you, there is the Sandstone Way in Northumberland which is a mix of all the things you were after:

https://www.sandstoneway.co.uk/

It can be accessed by public transport both ends and will take you through some q wild spots.

Joe

Italy… white roads.

molgrips
    Free Member

Classic STW. Someone asks about the nearest stuff to London, someone recommends Australia.

OP, if it’s a day ride you’re after you might also check out the area South and Southwest of Swindon. Marlborough Downs and Ridgeway area. Really beautiful and loads of gravel and although it’s not exactly Idaho it’s only an hour away.you could even get the train out and ride back.

samcheese
    Free Member

The answer is, without doubt, Mid-Wales. I did a ride starting and ending from Merthyr station earlier in the year. Loads of lovely gravel.

Merthyr – Llanwrytd Wells – Strata Florida – Rhayader – Brecon – Merthyr.

Train from Paddington to Merthyr via Cardiff and you’re golden.

ta11pau1

OP, if it’s a day ride you’re after you might also check out the area South and Southwest of Swindon

Behind the natwest?

Another vote for Wales, I bet there’s miles on miles of gravel fire road with incredible views.

Top of Afan (wind farm link road):

alric
    Free Member

what about kielder forest?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Where’s the nearest place to go to ride stuff like this:’ is closed to new replies.