• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 39,321 through 39,360 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Cougar

Proof that nominative determinism isn’t always a thing – otherwise he’d be a top environmental scientist rather than a thieving scumbag.

“Wiseman also offered other products for sale, including an oil to help in court cases.” 🤣

Cougar

My mother, fully jabbed, 86 and with dementia, died in December from Covid.

Oof. Sorry for your loss mate.

Poopscoop

onewheelgood

Best of luck to her. My mother, fully jabbed, 86 and with dementia, died in December from Covid.

Terribly sorry to hear that my friend.

metalheart
    Free Member

How long are people testing positive for?

I tested day 15 and produced a strong (and solid) redline positive… still got a ‘mild’ cough (not much worse than pre-COVID) and feeling a bit knackered but nothing really deviating from my ‘normal’… Not really got any other symptoms (and haven’t for well over a week).

I am supposed to be back in the office on Monday and will test again (on day 20 or 21).

What are the chances I’m infectious if still testing clearly positive? Don’t want to be passing it on (obvs).

timba
    Free Member

IANAD
    Research showed that C19 stops being viable between 9 and 13 days after symptom onset. Tests can still detect “dead” C19 after this
    One for your managers and H&S to decide?

metalheart
    Free Member

Research showed that C19 stops being viable between 9 and 13 days after symptom onset.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I’m seeing, just that I’d prefer to see an actual negative (for peace of mind I guess).

One for your managers and H&S to decide?

Yeah, I guess so.

ernielynch

There was predicted to be a post-christmas peak although covid cases, including hospital admissions, are apparently falling.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Admittedly the figures are for the first week of January but it is encouraging bearing in mind that much of the pre-christmas partying occurred several weeks ago now.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Variant XBB.1.5 is apparently just getting started in the UK, which is running rampant in USA, rapidly replacing BA.5 and BQ variants.

kelvin

John Campbell again?!? Can we have a gentleman’s agreement to just not post that man’s click seeking videos on this forum? He’s a quack. Very plausible, but mining your interest in Covid for advertising revenue money… with no concerns at all about being misleading and disingenuous if it pays the bills.

somafunk

Kelvin : yeah, the guy is a dick

TiRed

XBB.1.5 has higher binding affinity so sticks to the ACE2 entry receptor better and that may give a spreading advantage. It’s certainly replacing all other strains in the US (running rampant is not the same as replacing). Clearly it has a fitness advantage over other omicron strains. Low frequency in the UK will increase with this fitness advantage.

This is not at all unprecedented. Cast your minds back to Nov 2020 when the Kent Alpha variant replaced Wuhan (which was replaced earlier by the D614 variant) and then Along came Delta.

XBB.1.5 may be more spreadable due to evasion of the pre-existing immunity, or it may be due to more inherent transmissibility. Or some element of both. Certainly studies using vaccine sera show it’s about 10x less susceptible to being neutralised compared to earlier BA.1 omicron. And that in itself might be enough to give it that fitness boost.

Now the good news. It’s inhibited by paxlovid, so treatment options remain in place. It’s not neutralised by Evusheld, so prophylaxis for the immunocompromised may be a challenge. AZ have started a follow-on trial in the UK 🇬🇧 and other countries in immunocompromised patients, comparing two new antibodies from Oxford to Evusheld. I’d want to get onto that trial if eligible. Notably as NICE declined to reimburse Evusheld (£1200 per month on a private prescription).

It’s not doom and gloom. I’ve not watched the video.

dissonance

“Wiseman also offered other products for sale, including an oil to help in court cases.”

One of the many reasons why I am not suitable to being a judge is I would have paused things just before the jury returned the verdict to ask them whether they had used that oil or not.
    Then doubled the sentence anyway.

MoreCashThanDash

Hmm- had my last booster jab in October, and just had a text inviting me to book another one?

Seems a bit early to be getting jabbed again

reeksy

Seems we’re seeing a drop in cases again in Queensland. Today mask wearing in general hospital areas has been relaxed again. Hopefully it stays like that for a while.

Sandwich

Mrs sandwich brought it home from one of the train journeys to/from Stratford on Friday. First day for me and O2 sats are swinging between 94 and 100 on my “Jesus” watch. The drops coincide with moving around the house. My legs feel like I’ve jus finished 130 miles on the bike and Garfield looks like a go getter compared to my sleeping.
    “Such fun”

tjagain

Is there any reason other than luck some folk get it and some do not?   I’ve not been exposed to loads of folk at work of course but I have been on public transport and met loads of folk socially but never got it.  My nephew is on his 4th dose despite being fully vaxed up.

Just luck?

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone know how often we should be having booster jabs?

Had one at the end of October and got a reminder today to book another one?

saintsludge
    Free Member

Unless you are old or ill you don’t need a booster.
    I should add I’m not a doctor.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m 53 and I’m now worried the NHS knows something about my health that they aren’t telling me….

Poopscoop

^^ On the face of it that looks to be great news?👍

Greybeard
    Free Member

On the face of it that looks to be great news?

On the face of it, yes, but it’s an odd article. The study isn’t primarily about Covid, or even virology, so I don’t see why it should have any more validity than the very many Covid-specific trials. Why is it about the third jab, now, when vulnerable people could have had at least four jabs by last autumn? How many vulnerable people are there in a group of ‘children of the 90s’ (even if, as it turns out, the study also includes their parents)? How long did those enhanced antibodies last, and how effective were they at inhibiting variants?

Bunnyhop

Interestingly a friend and her family (3 generations) are still partaking in the government’s ‘antibody study’. The husband (in his fifties) is still carrying antibodies and has since the trial started. The whole family have had covid except him.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Just luck?

Maybe not? You take Vitamin D supplements don’t you?

Vitamin D was trending on Twitter today (I know, I know),seems to have been a couple of new studies released that have “proven” that Vitamin D protects against C19. Now I’m no scientist, so following the links to the various articles doesn’t help me understand how accurate these studies actually are.

However, I take Vitamin D and have done since pre-covid. I have never had it but I am double jabbed.

Some of these studies may be codswallop, however, there is no debate that Vitamin D is very important for the immune system.

maccruiskeen

Is there any reason other than luck some folk get it and some do not?   I’ve not been exposed to loads of folk at work of course but I have been on public transport and met loads of folk socially but never got it.  My nephew is on his 4th dose despite being fully vaxed up.

Just luck?

Dont forget the reason that Covid turned out to be far more infectious than the the previous SARS outbreaks because of Asymptomatic transmission (compared to SARS1 which was get infected – immediately and invariably get seriously ill – get admintted to hospital- only have an 80% chance of coming home) The reason SARS1 was so much more effectively contained was because people got so incredibly ill so quickly they didnt have a huge amount of opportunity to pass it on to other people. But with Sars Covid 2 its was destinguished by its hight rates on asymptomatic transmission- even before there was a vaccine it was passable to be infected and infectious but not know you were ill.

How do you know you’ve not had it? Up until a few months ago I was being PCR tested 2 – 5 times a week, every week, for about two years. I could say with certainty that during that time that I hadn’t had Covid. During that time testing did identify people amongst my colleagues who were positive but had no symptoms- not catching before they displayed symptoms, they just had no symptoms at all.

Unless they’d be part of that testing regime they’d have never known they had it.

jhinwxm
    Free Member

I’m 53 and I’m now worried the NHS knows something about my health that they aren’t telling me….

Same. I’m over ten years younger than you and had 3 jabs way before anyone my age and older groups. No idea why.

Not seen a doctor in years (couldn’t even if I wanted to) and I’ve also been offered several boosters since my third but declined them all after the third affected me in not a good way for weeks after. Not risking going through that again. Would rather get covid, at least I’d know what was wrong with me then.

jhinwxm
    Free Member

How do you know you’ve not had it? Up until a few months ago I was being PCR tested 2 – 5 times a week, every week for about two years. I knew during that time that I hadn’t had Covid. During that time testing did identify people amongst my colleagues who were positive but had no symptoms- not catching before they displayed symptoms, they just had no symptoms at all.

Unless they’d be part of that testing regime they’d have never known they had it.

You’re assuming PCR tests are accurate and reliable, which they are not.

willard

Even if a PCR test is only 95% accurate, that number of tests over that length of time will be a fairly good indication of whether you have had C19.

Del

You’re assuming PCR tests are accurate and reliable, which they are not.

I’ve seen figures of between 83 and 95% accurate when administered by a professional. When done be a volunteer or the patient in the real world ~ 70%

Houns

So I’m approx. 2 weeks in from start of cough/ being ill, tested negative until Thursday then positive every day since. Cough Is easing a little, but have a really crackly chest. Temperature, snot, and the Brad Pitt’s if I eat anything more than toast. Tired but not exhausted. Dread to think how bad I’d feel if not had 4 jabs. How long for it to **** orf?!

StuE
    Free Member

Tested positive on Boxing day and still not right, chest a little tight and a strange background anxiety

lamp
    Free Member

@StuE – speak to a herbalist about taking Lobelia to ease the chest – it works wonders! The anxiety may be because you’re not breathing 100%?

Jolsa

What’s the deal with the Autumn booster – does anyone know if it will be offered to under 50s?

doris5000

What’s the deal with the Autumn booster – does anyone know if it will be offered to under 50s?

I was wondering that! My SiL turned 50 in the Autumn and was immediately invited for a 4th jab. I’d jump at the chance if I was offered. Long COVID has turned my life upside down, I really don’t want it again…

Poopscoop

Your don’t want another booster mate. An antivaxxer told me yesterday that it gives you HIV.

Makes you think.

timba
    Free Member

NHS has published this…
    “After 12 February 2023, you will not be able to get a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.
    Some people at increased risk, for example, because of age or certain medical conditions, may be offered a seasonal booster later this year. If you are eligible for this, the NHS will contact you when it’s your turn to get vaccinated.”
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
    Grab ’em if you can

matt_outandabout

Well, my visit from an old friend has left a gift.
    Mrs_oab has COVID again.
    And I can’t find the number for the anti-virals department for her. :-/

Viewing 40 posts - 39,321 through 39,360 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.