• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 39,201 through 39,240 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • ernielynch

So if he’s still feeling ill, with a faint line on the test, how likely is it he’s still infectious after 10 or so days?

If he still has symptoms quite likely I believe, unless the only symptoms are a cough and/or loss of sense of smell.

Temperature definitely a no-no

ready

1st ever dose for me. Pretty sure I caught it from my boss who was pretty poorly last week, but because he doesn’t like his family decided to come in to the office and share it around. 2 of us have now got it just in time for Xmas. Utter ****
    My symptoms are strange. Sometimes I feel absolutely fine, sometimes I feel like someone’s standing on my chest after playing 2 games of football back to back because I hurt so much. Sometimes even my hair hurts. Weird!

bigdean

Anyone watching the cases rushing through China? There a ominous deja Vu feeling about it but hopefully the world is a bit more prepared.

metalheart
    Free Member

Been feeling progressively worse over the last 48 hours. A bit achey and a bit of a cough. Had a shite nights sleep and tried to spew up bile first thing so decided to take a test… Feint line appeared in minutes… pretty dark after 5… nothing too awful at present (but I’ve had to cancel my family get together later in the week, the first ‘normal’ festive in 3 years). Hey ho. I was looking forwards to that as I actually get on really well with most of my family (and they seem to like me!).

First time Covid for me, don’t where I picked it up as I am pretty much a hermit and not really done anything different from the last 2.5 years.

StuE
    Free Member

Finally cought up with me,only a matter of time for us all I guess

shermer75
    Free Member

Here we go again! Third time lucky for me. I should count myself lucky to get the hat trick, really. A bit annoying, as I just got over a heavy cold that had me off work for a week.

I’m guessing this may be the pattern of it now? As well as the usual cold going round, there’ll be a new covid mutation to catch too?

Luckily I’ve had 3x vaccines, and everything is pretty mild so far. Still working pretty much, just not seeing patients face to face, obvs

Kryton57

there’ll be a new covid mutation to catch too?

Well the Chinese have opened the borders floodgates, I can’t see how this is deemed responsible. Several countries are imposing restrictions upon Chinese arrivals. A bit like late 2019, it’ll probably be about 4 months before the UK does.

Painey
    Free Member

4th time with Covid for me this week (3rd time in the last 6 months). Positive test again yesterday after feeling a bit odd, although I don’t feel that bad and it’s felt different every time I’ve had it. This time around I feel largely OK, but with very sore itchy eyes, like mega bad hayfever! Chest hurts and a bit of a cough but nothing too bad. I’ve had all the jabs etc so I just get on with it. The itchy/sore eyes thing though is definitely odd. I only took the test after a friend tested positive and also had the sore eyes thing.

MoreCashThanDash

Several countries are imposing restrictions upon Chinese arrivals

It hadn’t clicked with me that they still had to unlock foreign travel. I’ve got mixed feelings, everyone has to move past the “zero covid/no travel” mindset, and I wouldn’t want ordinary Chinese people being singled out and potentially abused as they were the first time round.

That said, allowing potentially thousands of people to travel again during China’s biggest wave does seem a potential risk, as shown the first time round.

Wiser heads than mine will be making those judgements. Hopefully.

highlandman
    Free Member

One worrying aspect of the Chinese situation, with most controls lifted and mass infections well underway, is that this will generate a huge round of continuing infection and re-infection, providing the virus with maybe as many as @1bn fresh opportunities to mutate into a more dangerous form, be it, more infectious, more damaging, better at avoiding vaccines, more inclined to long covid, etc… Every infection and multiplication of virus is an open door opportunity for a nasty bug like this, which seems to have many tricks up its metaphorical sleeve. Joy…

shermer75
    Free Member

Several countries are imposing restrictions upon Chinese arrivals

Part of this is to manage the virus, part of this is geopolitical gamesmanship

thelawman

I’m assuming I’ve caught the pox for the 2nd time in about 4 months over the Christmas week. Cold-like symptoms for several days, but not feeling completely flattened fortunately. I’ve not tested at all, as we’re away in a holiday let and brought no tests with us, but my one brother has had v similar symptoms and tested positive a couple of times. We were both at a funeral last week. That said, brother no 2 was also there, has had similar snottyness etc too, and hasn’t tested positive. So who knows?

scotroutes

I also have some sort of cold/flu thing going on. Testing -ve though, so there’s more than Covid around.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

^Might be your age @scotroutes after your subsidised efforts!I understand houns is feeling fine.

frankconway

The chinese government will only ever do what’s in their collectiveXi’s self interest; any notion of them being responsible or global good citizens is for the birds.
    Only a few countries have announced intentions to impose tighter control over chinese arrivals – notably the US and Italy requiring proof of negative test.

Before his announcement, flights arriving in Milan were already testing passengers flying from China.

On one flight, which landed at the city’s Malpensa Airport on 26 December, 52% of passengers were found to be positive for Covid, la Repubblica reports.

The Italian government have clearly learned from 2019.
    How long before steve barclay announces that the UK is ‘…monitoring the situation’?
    The UK is, potentially, sleepwalking – again – into a medical crisis.

MoreCashThanDash

The UK is, potentially, sleepwalking – again – into a medical crisis.

We’re already in a medical crisis.

frankconway

To be more specific – another covid crisis.

theotherjonv

I accidentally clicked on the title and went back to the first page just now

So here’s a thought, does the unprecedented lockdown of almost 50 million people suggest that this outbreak is much worse than China and the WHO are letting on, or are they overreacting?

still seems relevant today, whereas

the disaster fappers will be here shortly…you can guess who.

hasn’t aged quite so well.

frankconway

I wonder how little notice the UK gov have taken of the report that 52% of passengers on a flight from China to Milan tested positive when they arrived on Dec 26th.
    There is no reason to assume the same does not apply to flights from China to the UK.
    No, I’m not a disaster fapper – just a realist.

jam-bo

For some context. way back when in the mists of time, there were multiple Covid threads and some fairly wild end of days views being put forward.

But yeah. Not my best work.

maccruiskeen

I wonder how little notice the UK gov have taken of the report that 52% of passengers on a flight from China to Milan tested positive when they arrived on Dec 26th.
    There is no reason to assume the same does not apply to flights from China to the UK.
    No, I’m not a disaster fapper – just a realist.

A plane carries around 300 passengers. so 52% are covid positive – so thats about 150. They get off at Heathrow and wander into London and join the approx 200,000 people who’ll currently be covid positive and not subject to any meaningful restrictions or monitoring in that city, or travel more widely amongst the 1.7million currently positive in the UK as a whole. Whats meaningful difference would those 150 people make? other than maybe being seen to be more diligent about wearing their masks?

One worrying aspect of the Chinese situation, with most controls lifted and mass infections well underway, is that this will generate a huge round of continuing infection and re-infection, providing the virus with maybe as many as @1bn fresh opportunities to mutate into a more dangerous form

A bit like Kent then 🙂

kelvin

Whats meaningful difference would those 150 people make?

The current situation in China is likely to give us a new variant of concern. Trusting the authorities there to find and share information early on such a variant isn’t a wise move. Testing people coming from China (and doing further tests such as genomic sequencing on + cases) seems a proportionate response.

A bit like Kent then

Well, the numbers are “a bit” different, but, well, yes.

frankconway

So how many multiples of 150 covid carriers should be allowed free and uncontrolled access into the UK?
    Are any carrying a new variant?

roger_mellie

A plane carries around 300 passengers. so 52% are covid positive

If it was 1 plane arriving as a one-off, then yeah, whatever, but how many planes arrive to the UK / one’s country of residence from China every day?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I expect if any UK resrictions come about, they will come into effect too late to prevent returning uni students arriving here for the new term starting around 9th Jan.

bikesandboots

That said, allowing potentially thousands of people to travel again during China’s biggest wave does seem a potential risk, as shown the first time round.

The chinese government will only ever do what’s in their collectiveXi’s self interest; any notion of them being responsible or global good citizens is for the birds.

Very much this. There’s also the perceived benefit for them of (again) inflicting damage on other countries; pain is easier to take when others are suffering (economically etc.) too and you’re not falling behind – because everyone is falling back.

MoreCashThanDash

I think it still reads better than my first post on this thread, and I’ve posted some insensitive nonsense on here over the years.

We have confirmed no plans for testing arrivals from China. Once is a mistake, twice looks like carelessness. Vaccination will reduce the effects if this proves to be a mistake – it may not be – but jeez, we learn nothing. Next couple of weeks are the traditional worst weeks for respiratory illness/deaths in hospital anyway.

Kryton57

If it was 1 plane arriving as a one-off, then yeah, whatever, but how many planes arrive to the UK / one’s country of residence from China every day?

Apparently there are six planes due within the next week. The news is reporting that there are no plans to test or scrutinise the passengers. But, we are continuing to test for Variants of Concern from tests that are done, but that rather requires people to actually perform a test.

Feels like trouble ahead.

ernielynch

Only the United States, Italy, Japan, Taiwan, and India, have introduced covid testing for arrivals from China, so the UK is far from unique in that respect.

And I suspect that Taiwan probably has some political motivations behind its decision.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The dither and delay on the China situation is outright foolish, when it appears that it’s an unknown variant in Europe, as far as severity goes.

Especially when there’s still no sign of free seasonal boosters for “non-vulnerable” under 50s in the UK.

At 49, I’d happily consider paying for a seasonal booster, given how my second known infection three months ago with a gap of ~2.5 years has left me floored. The ~9 month gap between last winter’s booster and known second infection, especially with Omicron that wasn’t around before ’22, probably didn’t help.

What the hell is our government playing at? I’d love to know how many under 50 non-vulnerable MPs have quietly had a seasonal booster.

frankconway

It’s more governmental incompetence.

martinhutch

There were plenty of people still espousing this view on the thread 18 months later, so I think you’re off the hook for that one.

scaredypants

In the absence of outright immigration bans I doubt that testing of arrivals will prevent spread, beyond maybe delaying it initially – R will be R, and all that’ll matter is initial numbers followed by any measures that nations impose (and I suspect there is no way that our current govt has the stomach for any meaningful controls)

Testing of arrivals in countries like USA & Italy should allow identification of any new variants fairly quickly and then we’ll see

mrdestructo

Sounds like some of you have, or know someone with the variant that spread out of South China (itchy/painful eyes and sockets). With three low efficacy vaccines, none within the last six months, I’m 12 days in and with a bag of differing symptoms every few days. Even now there are still dizziness issues when moving around.

I personally know three people who have’t been infected. That’s how widespread it is. I had a colleague die today. There are no tests available locally. There is no medicine available locally. The second wave is supposedly on its way, due in several days. I read a local news article about someone who caught covid twice at the same time. Not sure which variants, but as if a 38c temperature is annoying enough, this woman hit 40c, reporting a pounding headache and inability to sleep. That’s when having no drugs in the first aid kit sucks.

Hopefully no VOCs come out of this incident.

tagnut69
    Free Member

I had it for the 1st time at the beginning of the month, fine when I got up in the morning but by dinner time I was shaking like shitting dog and sweating buckets, that lasted a day then just feeling mouldy for the next 12 days. It took over a week before I could walk the young one to school with out feeling breathless for over an hour after.

Just got back from the first post covid ride all 2.8 miles of it and fee like i have just done a stage of the TDF. I guess the single speed was not the best choice of bike.

montgomery
    Free Member

Tested positive on Saturday after a day or two of moderate cold symptoms. Coughed a bit that night. Fine since. Nice quiet, stress free Xmas by myself, drinking and eating the stuff that I’d intended taking over to see my sister and dad. Might do it again next year!

ernielynch

The Guardian: UK ministers under pressure to screen China arrivals for Covid.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/29/uk-ministers-under-pressure-to-screen-china-arrivals-for-covid

I have no opinion on the matter but I found this comment interesting:

Other government scientific advisers believe there would be little use in screening arrivals from China, given how high infection rates are already in the UK. Speaking in a personal capacity, Mark Woolhouse, another epidemiologist at the University of Edinburgh, said: “I doubt very much these new travel policies will have a material impact on Covid trajectories in the countries implementing them.

“The UK did the same to South Africa a little over a year ago when Omicron was first reported. That had no detectable impact at all. Omicron was already here.”

timba
    Free Member

Other government scientific advisers believe there would be little use in screening arrivals from China…snip

I listened to an Italian expert on the TV news using the same argument in respect of Italian measures. He made the point that not everyone arrives directly…

It’s Chinese NY on the 22nd so expect plenty of travel to and fro

timba
    Free Member

Is a relatively unvaccinated population less likely to produce a breakout strain than better vaccinated countries?

Kryton57

Omicron was already here

It’s not Omicron we are worried about though is it, it’s the next variant. They can’t screen for that if they aren’t testing on arrival, so in the meantime Chinese arrivals that are positive for Covid will – likely within 2 hrs of landing at Heathrow – have mixed at one of the worlds busiest airport hubs, entered London’s tubes & populated areas, people will travel across the internal rail networks…. etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 39,201 through 39,240 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.