Viewing 40 posts - 38,681 through 38,720 (of 39,146 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • kelvin

Out of the blue, just got af door knock and a guy was here to give mum her covid jab.👍

New Moderna one.

Double good news. 👍🏼

Poopscoop

Absolutely.
    The big clinic down the road is absolutely jammed with cars, they will all be there getting the jab done. The car park is usually almost empty.

Guy that came out to mum said they are coping ok at the moment with the number of home visits.👍

trailmonkey

A genuine question:

I caught the virus in early July and am still suffering from chest problems – I have always been asthmatic but have gone from very occasional use of my inhaler to daily dependence. Doctor has told me that the it’s not unusual that the symptoms could hang around for another 6 weeks yet.

So, would taking a booster jab now, do anything to combat the virus that is still doing a job on me or would it merely help to protect against further infection ?

Greybeard

@trailmonkey   I don’t think the virus itself is causing your current symptoms, it’s the damage the virus has done, so you need to rest and let your body fix it. To make an analogy, a liberated Ukrainian city with wrecked infrastructure needs engineers. Artillery will only useful if the Russians counter attack.

kelvin

Never forget.

MoreCashThanDash

I thought the original care homes crisis was in the first wave?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just had the second half of my holiday affected a little by what I thought was a really sore throat that started to feel like a head cold, tired and achy.

Got back yesterday afternoon, thought about doing a nasal LFT, but resisted until this morning. Instant positive on the way up that got darker.

Maybe my late July illness, my only other lurgy since last October, was some weird summer flu after all? Very similar symptoms but without the sore throat, but daily LFTs were negative.

jamiemcf

Is anyone else still doing the ONS study? I’ve just had my first postal PCR and blood test through the door

martinhutch

Jab no. 5 this morning. Full steam ahead towards whatever subvariants pop up between now and spring.

bedmaker

I was starting to feel like part of an exclusive club never having had covid despite travelling/ festivals/ gigs etc, and the rest of my household all catching it at different times.
    Caught up with me this week though, at the end of a biking holiday abroad.
    Thankfully never affected the holiday, unlike others in the group who tested positive on day two.

thelawman
    Free Member

I thought I was in the same exclusive club as @bedmaker until earlier today. Had a sore throat 2 nights ago, a headache last night and a bit of sniffling and sneezing over the last couple of days. It feels like ‘just a minor cold’ but a positive LFT this afternoon has shown it’s not. Hey ho.
    Most likely picked it up at the pit of plague that is the climbing wall in Wolverhampton 😂 (not serious)

Kryton57

Just been denied a Covid jab, which at 50 I’m not unhappy about as there are people that need it more than I. Went in for Flu & Covid but was denied the Covid as I’m under 65, I’m assuming stocks could be a little low, at least locally.

timba
    Free Member

The NHS say, “Others, including those aged 50 to 64 who are not at higher risk, will be able to get it later in the autumn 2022”
    We’ve had ours in the last fortnight, low stocks as you say?? Have a hunt around for a walk-in centre, pharmacy, etc

Pieface

@trailmonkey a colleague had COVID and never got over her cough, it went on for weeks and had clear covid tests, her doctor said it was a side effect of covid. She went home to India and got antibiotics at the drop of a hat, her chest infection cleared up immediately.

reluctantjumper

I was starting to feel like part of an exclusive club never having had covid despite travelling/ festivals/ gigs etc, and the rest of my household all catching it at different times.

I’m still in that club amazingly. Thought I had it 2 weeks ago as I had aches in every joint, a stinking headache, persistent cough, a temperature and a complete loss of taste and smell. Work made me take a test every morning and evening for a week and they all came back negative so I have no idea what it was. Still got the cough over a week after everything else went away so something else with similar symptoms is going round I think.

phil5556

So yeah turns out covid is still a thing. Wife & I both been feeling rough with a bad cold since the weekend and have tested positive this morning.

Had managed to avoid it so far until now too.

imnotverygood

I know this is anecdote, but I know a few people who have tested positive lately and without exception they are all first time infections. Bit odd, that.

alpin
    Free Member

Funnily enough the GF and I had avoided the dreaded corona and were feeling rather smug about it. Drove down to Finale the other week and on the drive we listened to a podcast about the so called Novids, those that hadn’t caught covid.

Ironically a day or two later we both started feeling a little rough, but assumed it was just a general flu. Got a test to be sure and two lines came up. 😕

Bit of the sniffles, foggy head, but nothing too untoward.

Still managed to cycle a few times around Le Manie, although no shuttling, obviously.

Fortunately we were in the van, staying on a friend’s building site up in Le Manie (plateau near DH Man). He kept us well stocked with food, wine and the other good things in life. Wasn’t quite how I expected our first trip in the van to be,but hey ho.

So far no ongoing cough or anything.

The podcast….

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vdGhlLXdpcmVkLXBvZGNhc3Q/episode/MDJmZmQ5MzYtM2E2NS0xMWVkLWI4NDYtZTMyOGUzYzdjN2Q4?ep=14

ernielynch
    Free Member

without exception they are all first time infections. Bit odd, that.

But is it? Presumably people who have previously had covid will have a tendency to greater immunity than someone whose immune system has never had to deal with it?

Having said that I’ve got a friend who is currently suffering from covid for the third time. I suspect with some people genetics must play a part, it usually does. Neanderthal genes are a disadvantage apparently.

fathomer

Another couple of first timers here. Wife had a bit of a cough and runny two Thursdays ago, she hadn’t really thought about it but I suggested she took a test ‘just in case’ and the positive line appeared almost immediately. Took till the following Monday for me to start feeling anything and I tested positive then. Both pretty much ok now, both been back out on the bike and managed to go for short walks avoiding people throughout.

My dad and his wife have both got it for the first time as well, as have a friends parents.

Alex

3 out of 8 contracted Covid at the end of our week in Molini. None of them had had it before. The other 5 of us were fine, even tho we shared the same uplift van etc.

Being ashmatic and over 50, I had both Covid booster and flu jab on Saturday. Apart from a slightly thick head Sunday, no reaction thankfully. There’s a few people I know of my age who aren’t going to have a booster. No brainier for me. Apparently over 95% uptake at local surgery but it was for the quite old/vulnerable cohort.

alpin
    Free Member

Oktoberfest finished the other week… The incidence in Munich shot up to over 1000/100,000.

Some place in the North of Germany had an incidence of over 3000 after the town’s annual festival.

maccruiskeen

without exception they are all first time infections. Bit odd, that.

But is it? Presumably people who have previously had covid will have a tendency to greater immunity than someone whose immune system has never had to deal with it?

I can add myself and my partner to your anecdotals

First time flyer and as certain as anyone can be I’ve not had it previously as I’ve had PCR tests at least once a week since the tail end of the first lockdown

I think aside from the most vunlnerable groups most vaccinated people will be a long way past their last vaccination. I had my last jab  nearly a year ago, so I’ll have had fading immunity against an older variant.

I was surprised its given me as much of a kicking as it has – but I guess I’ve been “vaxxed but not very” for a while now

thisisnotaspoon

I can add myself and my partner to your anecdotals

First time flyer and as certain as anyone can be I’ve not had it previously as I’ve PCR tests at least once a week since the tail end of the first lockdown

I think aside from the most vunlnerable groups most vaccinated people will be a long way past their last vaccination. I had my last jab in nearly a year ago, so I’ll have fading immunity against an older variant.

I was surprised its given me as much of a kicking as it has – but I guess vaxxed but not very

I had it in June but pretty much the same.

I think we’re at that stage where for most people it’s just “the flu”, and vulnerable groups will keep getting boosters.

In our house I got it, and I’m reasonably sure I got it on holiday but the OH didn’t get it but does get boosters so if you’re not inline for boosters seems the odds of coming down with it this winter are going to be fairly high.

therevokid
    Free Member

just had (Saturday gone) another booster as I’m on one of the at risks lists … wifey who’s terminally
    ill isn’t !
    got the Flu jab coming up soon too ….. number pin holes in the arms I look more like a junkie 🙂

imnotverygood

Well, I understood that the BA4/5 variants don’t seem to provide much of an immune system boost, but what I meant was that people have lasted 2 1/2 years without catching it but are now going down with it at a time when infection rates are still relatively low. One of my friends who caught it had all but convinced themselves that they were genetically immune, but as I said, it is just anecdote.

alpin
    Free Member

you’re not inline for boosters seems the odds of coming down with it this winter are going to be fairly high.

If you’re not dying I don’t see the problem. Things evolve and so must we with regards to our response.

If you’re not ending up in hospital on a ventilator then just get on with life.

We can’t carry on shielding ourselves/society from something that’s not any worse than a cold.
    The financial implications of doing so are massive.

Maybe if those who are vulnerable get their shots and some die then so be it. I see covid as the new cancer…. It’s there some might die, but probably not. It’s not pleasant, but that’s life.

johndoh
    Free Member

In our household it’s currently running at: Child A – twice, Wife – once, Child B – never, Me – never (and I have been commuting by train daily since February 2021).

I have had a cough for the last few days so thought I’d take a test and still negative.

lunge

Double jab here, annual flu jab in 1 arm, Covid jab #4 in the other. I’m 40, but apparently as I have Asthma I can get the booster. Bit weird as I had to wait in line like everyone else first time round, but there we go.
    Can confirm that the side effects have not changed and that trying to run a fast 5k the day after said booster will definitely result in you emptying the contents of your stomach over the finish line and feeling very rough for the rest of the day.

oldenough
    Free Member

it usually does. Neanderthal genes are a disadvantage apparently.

Daughter has more Neanderthal genes than 96% of the population, probably explains why she’s now just recovering from her 4th confirmed bout of covid 🤔

singlespeedstu

@bedmaker.

Thankfully never affected the holiday, unlike others in the group who tested positive on day two.

I was really looking forwards to that holiday and you and your pals were a brilliant group to ride with.
    Just a shame I only got two days of it before the rona got me.
    Still not feeling 100% now, still got a bit of a cough and seem to get out of breath pretty quick.
    I do feel better than I did at 3100 meters though. I had really bad brainfog and lack of any energy up there.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

We can’t carry on shielding ourselves/society from something that’s not any worse than a cold.

Frankly I’m amazed that this line gets trotted out still.

A cold never put me on my back for 10 wks. The risks from C19 are still worth being wary of not to mention the risk of Long Covid & various other systemic problems associated with the illness. You can choose to deal with it how you best see fit – but to maintain the idea that it’s no worse than a cold is not just foolhardy but downright dangerous.

longdog
    Free Member

Our household has, so far, still avoided it, we’ve had a couple of really nasty colds, but always tested -ve despite plenty of kids at my son’s school getting it. All vaxed and boostered and just waiting for the call for the next one.

I have varying levels of CFS/ME, a normal cold or flu knocks me for six, so I hope to continue to avoid seeing what covid might do.

somafunk

If you’re not dying I don’t see the problem. Things evolve and so must we with regards to our response.

If you’re not ending up in hospital on a ventilator then just get on with life.

The financial implications of doing so are massive.

Maybe if those who are vulnerable get their shots and some die then so be it. I see covid as the new cancer…. It’s there some might die, but probably not. It’s not pleasant, but that’s life.

Its plain to read from that statement that your understanding of covid 19 and its variants with regard to how it affects the immune system hasn’t evolved over the previous 2+ years, I’d stick to knocking in nails if I was you as I doubt you’ll gain employment as a medical professional

misteralz
    Free Member

I was also one of the ‘lucky’ ones who’d avoided it for 2½ years. Until a few weeks ago, when my wife caught it. I suspect it wouldn’t have hit me quite so hard had I not spent the previous two weeks in bed or on the sofa recovering from an operation… the first two days were like that scene in Trainspotting when Renton’s going cold turkey. Probably about ten days of no energy whatsoever after that, frequent headaches and kidney pain, and ridiculous brain fog to the point where I couldn’t actually read. I’m recovering slowly now, but still tire quickly and still have a twatty cough. I’ll take a second booster if it’s offered, for sure.

Kryton57

Have a hunt around for a walk-in centre

So I did. Turns out it’s the same surgery ffs! Maybe I’ll walk in over the next couple of days and hope no one recognised me.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve had six(?) respiratory infections since the pandemic started, but this current one is the first definite Covid (first positive LFTs) since March ’20, the Oct ’20 infection may well have been covid too as something triggered my partner’s relapse that brought on her ongoing long covid when she had recovered May-Oct from her March complications. Reactions to covid jabs, the booster being Dec ’21, were each not great and needed time off work.

This ongoing infection is certainly dragging its heals compared to March ’20 and Oct ’20, still exhausted with lungs and throat messed up (along with other symptoms similar to flu) on day 17 since initial symptoms began at start of holiday (so many thanks to a work colleague passing it on to me).

No doubt gap since last booster and it being at least two years since last infection haven’t helped.

neilnevill
    Free Member

My mum had avoided it until last week. 79 and just had a knee replacement so rather sore from that, didn’t really need covid but she seems to be ok enough, starting to feel better she says, but still a solid line on lft.

Wife kids and I got it first time in Feb iirc. Wife got it again in August but the rest of us didn’t somehow. On that occasion it seems my wife’s dad caught it on a trip to the oncology department and brought it home. Still, he and wife’s mum didn’t struggle with it thankfully

Bunnyhop

Alpin – it’s a good job we don’t all share your opinion.

Viewing 40 posts - 38,681 through 38,720 (of 39,146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.