• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 38,641 through 38,680 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • martinhutch

That estimate was based on a flawed calculation, which the author has accepted:

Thanks for that. Did seem remarkable that a coronavirus could achieve that level of tranmissibility.

kimbers

My sister in law turned up with her kids to a family party at my brothers this weekend, she popped home for a lie down as she looked rough as hell, I assumed it was her usual hangover.
    She came back later and after a coughing fit I asked if she had COVID, she said yeah probably, but she’s not gonna test because it’s all a load of nonsense (big gbnews fan) she’s now had to stay home from work as she’s got worse.
    Annoying thing is that by septagenarian parents were there, both of whom have multiple health issues!

jhinwxm
    Free Member

My sister in law turned up with her kids to a family party at my brothers this weekend, she popped home for a lie down as she looked rough as hell, I assumed it was her usual hangover.
    She came back later and after a coughing fit I asked if she had COVID, she said yeah probably, but she’s not gonna test because it’s all a load of nonsense (big gbnews fan) she’s now had to stay home from work as she’s got worse.
    Annoying thing is that by septagenarian parents were there, both of whom have multiple health issues!

When is the public flogging taking place?

matt_outandabout

My sister and family (4 in total) all tested positive over last 48hrs.
    They are still planning to take my nearly 80 year old father on holiday on Saturday…

TiRed

When is the public flogging taking place?

I will remind people that peak death in the UK is always the second week of January. This is a direct consequence of mixing during the Christmas holidays. If you are ill, especially symptomatic, it’s probably not a good idea to mix with susceptible at-risk family members.

MoreCashThanDash

Apparently a rider on a club ride last week casually mentioned they were positive for Covid at the cafe stop.

That went down well.

martinhutch

If you are ill, especially symptomatic, it’s probably not a good idea to mix with susceptible at-risk family members.

It is somewhat surprising that people still haven’t grasped this message after two years of excess mortality among the elderly and at-risk groups.

jam-bo

They are still planning to take my nearly 80 year old father on holiday on Saturday…

does he get a say in it?

It is somewhat surprising that people still haven’t grasped this message after two years of excess mortality among the elderly and at-risk groups.

yeah, but its not real covid if you cant pass the £20 note test.

matt_outandabout

It isn’t to me – see my post before about how selfish even my own family is. It seems many in our world are selfish – and it seems a really big attitude in the UK now.

matt_outandabout

does he get a say in it?

He read the WhatsApp message the same time I did. We just spoke. He isn’t going with them….but does still want to go.

martinhutch

Timely (and accessible) article in a top-tier journal looking at the available Chinese data for the origins of Covid 19. Suggests the initial cluster of recorded cases has a geographical link to the streets around the Huanan wet market.

The obvious questions are whether the dataset supplied by the Chinese CDC is entirely trustworthy, and relevant to the very first likely cases in November/December 2019 (which are not recorded). They hint at a possible route from infected bats via raccoon dogs sold at the market.

But still, it may be the source, or at possibly the first significant ‘super-spreader’ location.

Bunnyhop

Thank you to martinhutch and TiRed for all this information and insight, explained in a way that a lay person can understand.

I went to the dentist yesterday with my mask on. The receptionist said I didn’t haven’t to wear it. Very odd as they insist on the sanitising and keeping 2 metres apart.

reeksy

I will remind people that peak death in the UK is always the second week of January.

Presumably this is also because it’s the middle of winter? Peak death in Oz is mid-winter, although Christmas is also the big family get together time. It was predicted at the beginning of the year that August/September would be the worst time of year for Covid and that’s becoming reality.

jhinwxm
    Free Member

I will remind people that peak death in the UK is always the second week of January. This is a direct consequence of mixing during the Christmas holidays. If you are ill, especially symptomatic, it’s probably not a good idea to mix with susceptible at-risk family members.

Its been exceptionally warm for the second week of January hasn’t it. Seems like 7 months have passed since Christmas, those couple of weeks after Christmas really do drag don’t they.

jhinwxm
    Free Member

Timely (and accessible) article in a top-tier journal looking at the available Chinese data for the origins of Covid 19. Suggests the initial cluster of recorded cases has a geographical link to the streets around the Huanan wet market.

So, Trump was right after all then?

ernielynch

No, he claimed it came from a Chinese laboratory.

Jolsa

Think he may have also said something about drinking bleach.

the-muffin-man

No, he claimed it came from a Chinese laboratory labrador.

doris5000

Just back from the doctor. There’s a sign saying “MASKS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES”.

Masks were in fact being worn by

0% of staff
    25% of patients

MrSmith
    Free Member

@TiRed

“Both Moderna and Pfizer are seeking approval for an Omicron-specific booster based on antibodies raised in volunteer studies rather than the large efficacy trials previously run against placebo. I’ll take one when available. GSK/Sanofi have a beta variant spike protein vaccine (beta being closer to omicron than WT is), which is also likely to seek approval using the same comparative methodology.

Do you have any intel on Novavax for the autumn booster? it’s been approved and is made in the north east but no mention of what we over 50’s will be getting in the Autumn and no announcement on large pre-orders of Moderna/Pfizer either.

i’ll take an old version of a booster as i know it will offer some improved protection against hospitalisation/death if not actually catching it again but would obviously be good to get something more up to BA5 especially for the older and more vulnerable.

ayjaydoubleyou

Just back from the doctor. There’s a sign saying “MASKS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES”.

0% of staff
    25% of patients

Staff who have walked past that sign every day for the last 2 years literally do not see it any more. It is part of the background.

Getting 25% of patients to read it, want to follow it, and actually have a mask about their person, I would say is actually quite an impressive fraction.

jimw
    Free Member

Conversely I have just come back from back from the doctor. There’s a sign saying “MASKS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES”.

100% of staff
    All but one of the 20 or so patients there and he then asked for one at the reception desk.

I guess it varies from place to place due to local factors??

timmyheald
    Free Member

Thankfully we can put that theory to bed. After all the discussion around funding of the Wuhan IV lab from the NIH and scuitiny of Fauci and co, this latest study “proves” that the virus started from the wildlife trade and had nothing to do with the NIH.*

“One of the researchers involved, virologist Prof David Robertson from the University of Glasgow, told BBC News that he hoped the studies would “correct the false record that the virus came from a lab”.”*

*study funded by the NIH

Here is a link to study, includes a list of funding sources, but ya know, peer reviewed:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abp8715

#trustthescience

theotherjonv

Finally it’s got serious – my Mum’s tested positive and as my Dad is her full time carer it’s highly likely she’ll pass it on. He’s 84, and in decent health for 84 although had NHL about 10 years ago. She’s 80 and on dialysis 3x weekly for total renal failure after diabetes.

So far fevers and flu symptoms for my Mum. Waiting to see whether it improves or not, and if my Dad can stay clear.

matt_outandabout

🙁

We’ve got friends who’ve avoided so far. She’s finished final chemo only 5 weeks ago.

🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry to hear that theotherjonv, hope it’s not too serious.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Wife’s parents just called, they have it. We visited last week, wife positive now. Given we had all done tests and werent going out loads while there it’s likely the fil picked it up either in a&e or the oncology ward he visited for treatment and passed it on before the tests picked it up. Oh dear.

neilnevill
    Free Member

My wife is feeling generally yuk bit so far the kids seem fine and I’m testing negative. I bet I get it for the weekend. I hope things are ok for you jonv

Houns

Been having symptoms since last week (aching muscles/joints, temperature, shortness of breath, tiredness, sore throat, light headed, not with it, bit of a cough) have been testing twice a day since and all coming up negative. Feeling knackered.

mrchrispy

Well i seem to have finally (knowingly) caught it.
    Probably picked up over the weekend which would be a flight from Phuket into Bangkok (despite being masked up).

Started with a cough on the return flight to Manchester (again masked up so hopefully I didnt pass it on….well maybe to the **** sitting in front of me that insisted in reclining his seat the entire journey….). This was quickly accompanied by a banging headache for the day (I was hoping it was just jet lag but sadly not), now just a cough with some aches.

ernielynch

BBC: Ex-minister Liam Fox gets donation from Covid test firm he recommended.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62766148

“Tory MP Liam Fox received a £20,000 donation in June from a Covid testing firm on whose behalf he had contacted the then health secretary Matt Hancock.

The company went on to win a £500m contract to provide tests without facing competition.”

Sounds a bit mean – a £500 million contract but only a £20k donation?

And Liam Fox’s office doesn’t appear very happy with the BBC:

“It is appalling that this should be propagated by the BBC,”

Northwind

“Sounds a bit mean – a £500 million contract but only a £20k donation?”

That’s the thing that baffles me, not that they’re corrupt but that they’re so <cheap>. Billions get thrown around in return for pennies. I could afford to bribe a cabinet minister ffs.

Murray

Better news, autumn booster roll out starts Monday according to the Beeb using the Moderna bivalent vaccine until it runs out, then the old RNA vaccines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62766447

kelvin

The “VIP lane” stuff still stinks… formalised corruption.

Good news with the autumn roll out… a few members of my family will be part of that. Needs widening asap though, we can afford to do so and it’ll save money if we look at the wider picture.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Anyone know how the new vaccine is to be rolled out to kids 5+?

We took ours to be jabbed on 1st September to local walk in centre and were turned away as they stopped giving first doses on 31 August. No guidelines on when they would resume.

Couldn’t find anything helpful online.

kelvin

Tried booking online, or with your GP? I thought you had ‘till the end of October for first (and second) jab for 5-11. It would be the small two dose Pfizer though, not the updated Moderna one.

amodicumofgnar

Thought I’d give an early adopter update – it’s only taken two and a half years and nine bouts of symptoms but I’ve now got a positive test. Feels like a more severe bout of the same symptoms as the one’s I had in July. The severity feels comparable to last November and the original March 2020 ones.

Other than that, never quite shaken the impact of long covid. Still find I need to grab early nights if it’s been a full on working day. November’s symptoms followed by vaccine 3 seemed to flush out the brain fog and worst of the fatigue. I’d spent most of the Autumn just working and sleeping. Still no where near my pre-covid fitness but things are going in the right direction. That said vaccine one and subsequent infections have felt like they hit chest / heart and currently going through some tests – ultrasound and 3 day ECG next. I’d been putting up with things and then had a couple of going dizzy nearly falling episodes in July. Decided it was time to act at that. Lost a bit of high end brain power and memory which is taking a bit of getting used to.

I’m wondering if this is the start of a new wave.

Poopscoop

Sorry, just popping into the thread!

My old mums got the jab tomorrow. Likely to be the new Moderna one??

Cheers guys.👍

Poopscoop

Out of the blue, just got af door knock and a guy was here to give mum her covid jab.👍

New Moderna one.

Viewing 40 posts - 38,641 through 38,680 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.