• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 37,601 through 37,640 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I personally shall continue to wear one, keep distance (where possible)

So you don’t want a hug then? 😭

dyna-ti

As face coverings are no longer legally required in England as of today, I really hope we don’t see a ‘spike’ of cases in the coming weeks.

Of course we will. This isn’t about safety, this is about placating the British people over Johnson’s betrayal of them.

Same with opening up the care homes. Another ploy to keep the mob happy. This time it’s our care residents being thrown to the lions.

Again.

Mugboo

I’m confused (not unusual), if the numbers in ICU are dropping, why are deaths on the rise? I presume I’m oversimplyfing things?

jam-bo

if the numbers in ICU are dropping, why are deaths on the rise?

there are two ways to leave ICU?

ps. just looked at the dashboard and deaths seems to starting to drop.

Murray

if the numbers in ICU are dropping, why are deaths on the rise?

There’s a lag – detail from ONS

MoreCashThanDash

Sorry but I chuckled at jam-bo’s response.

Same with opening up the care homes. Another ploy to keep the mob happy. This time it’s our care residents being thrown to the lions.

Well, MiL’s care home has an outbreak and has locked down, do MrsMC is again not able to see her mum who she hasn’t seen since November – visit planned for this weekend, 400 mile round trip.

It’s as if it’s not “done” after all.

TiRed

Numbers IN the ICU are a balance of rate of input times length of stay. If infections with omicron are (on average) milder, then the length of stay can fall so occupancy can also fall for the same number of admissions per day.

Looking at the UK data as a whole, there is little separation between hospitalisations and deaths, with the same tracking (with lag) noted since vaccine rollout and emergence of Delta. There is, however, no doubt that vaccines have reduced deaths dramatically (about 90% since this time last year for the same number of cases), and there is evidence that even though cases have risen, admissions and deaths have not. That means 1) vaccines work to prevent morbidity and mortality, and 2) omicron does not have the same morbidity as delta, alpha and WT.

Just two pieces of good news.

It’s as if it’s not “done” after all.

It is not.

As and aside, Mrs TiRed had to tell me who Joe Rogan is this morning. I am familiar with Neil Young, but not a fan. I’ve cancelled my Spotify registration.

kelvin

Mrs TiRed had to tell me who Joe Rogan is this morning.

Ahh… you’ve been ignoring the more maddening bits of this thread then! Wise.

anagallis_arvensis

Yay,rs anagallis has tested positive again after her sept 2020 dose….wonder when I will…

Drac

Mrs TiRed had to tell me who Joe Rogan is this morning.

He’s a gobshite. Spoke up about compulsory vaccines by his employer after staff had been dismissed, was warned he will be dismissed if he didn’t get his. Of course he had his jab.

kelvin

after her sept 2020 dose

Same pattern here… she’s a teacher… positive LFT&PCR a few weeks into last term (and ill)… and the now positive LFT&PCR a few weeks into this term (and ill again)… “schools are safe”.

matt_outandabout

“schools are safe”.

Two of my friends: one principle teacher has Cv19 for 3rd(!) time, one classroom teacher has it 2nd time. hmm.

Mugboo

Thank you as always.

roger_mellie

I am familiar with Neil Young, but not a fan.

Same here.

I’ve cancelled my Spotify registration.

Very much considering the same, since they’re prioritising profits over lives. spotify-neil-young-joe-rogan-covid-misinformation

matt303uk

I’m looking to switch from Spotify to Apple music over this, seems to have better coverage of the artists I like and pays more to them per play, so a win win for me.

MoreCashThanDash

… “schools are safe”.

MrsMC is a childrens services social worker, half her team of 10 are now positive. They’ve managed to avoid it so far – despite some of the crazy stuff they’ve been expected to do over the course of the pandemic.

anagallis_arvensis

she’s a teacher…

So is Mrs anagallis

kelvin

Yeah, I thought I remembered that… that’s why I was sharing. Hope all goes well for her. And everyone else in a similar position, and all kids getting another messed up academic year. Not nearly enough has been done to help get them through all this.

ayjaydoubleyou

MrsMC is a childrens services social worker, half her team of 10 are now positive. They’ve managed to avoid it so far – despite some of the crazy stuff they’ve been expected to do over the course of the pandemic.

less than two months now until they’ll be expected to go to work while positive.

matt_outandabout

less than two months now until they’ll be expected to go to work while positive.

🙁

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Two of my friends: one principle teacher has Cv19 for 3rd(!) time, one classroom teacher has it 2nd time. hmm.

A friend of ours has it, his Mrs said, who doesn’t have it and has been vaccinated. “Maybe I should just get it over with and purposefully get it”. As if it’s like chickenpox and once you get it you’re done.

One day folk will realise they’ll get it again and again and again.

bsims
    Free Member

From my perspective I know more people who have Covid now than in the last 2 years. We all have it this week. Micro for the second time. Due to being vaccinated me and Mrs Sims are suffering less than colleagues who had Covid pre vaccine. She is doing better than me having had the booster which I have not had.

piemonster

Oh look, new account, same discredited arguments as last time

edit, blimey that was quick

zilog6128

One day folk will realise they’ll get it again and again and again.

yes but, having had it myself, the only good thing was I then knew I had a few months at least where I could go out and live “normally” and not have to worry about catching it (and, importantly, passing it on)

Klunk
    Free Member

more masks (100% in shops) being worn today in town than before christmas (along with social distancing), think it’s because it’s currently so prevalent locally that everyone knows someone who got it or had it recently.

MoreCashThanDash

Noticeably fewer mask wearers in Aldi today

Drac

Seen no difference here in any shops, its still a handful not wearing them.

convert

Quite a nice link for anti septics sceptics in you life adamant after what’s been doing the rounds of social media that there have only been 17000 odd actual CV-19 deaths in the UK. Explains the numbers and nuance in a simple to follow fashion for the easily confused.

BBC R4 More or Less
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0013r9w

mactheknife

On Joe Rogan. I listen to him a lot on my long drives. I dont see him as a gobshite. He has a range of very very interesting guests on his show and he is head and shoulders above other podcasters in his ability to have long and interesting conversations with them. Its easy to filter out his views on the vaccines though. Same as i filter out the whiff if hysteria that runs through this thread at times.

In todays world he is extremely more relevant than Neil Young and whoever that other one is. Joni who?? 🙂

zippykona

99 % of people in our shop are still wearing masks.
    Regarding Neil young…

James Blunt threatens to release new music on Spotify in protest against Joe Rogan

frankconway

mac – you may have the ability to filter rogan’s views; many of his listeners can’t – or choose not to.
    Without Spotify giving him a platform he would be a nobody.

martinhutch

Just noticed the buggers are now charging me 17 quid a month for a family account anyhow, so that’s another reason to swap.

And yes, Joe Rogan is an utter gobshite.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Without Spotify giving him a platform he would be a nobody.

11.7m youtube subscribers. Probably ten times that tune in less frequently.

Before Spotify:

it was estimated that he made $5 million per year from YouTube revenue and sponsored content. Within a few years, he had increased that number to an impressive $30 million per year.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/how-much-money-does-joe-rogan-make-per-podcast-episode.html/

Sandwich

As face coverings are no longer legally required in England as of today, I really hope we don’t see a ‘spike’ of cases in the coming weeks.

We have switched to FFP3 masks to counteract the reduction in mask usage everywhere but Waitrose. Usage there has remained high with only a couple un-masked folk seen today.

Northwind

Re Rogan, he used to be really pretty good at getting smart people on his show and asking them stupid questions so they could give good answers, it could lead to really interesting conversations. But over time he stopped saying daft things so they could be knocked down, and started saying the same daft things but expecting them to be taken seriously.

MoreCashThanDash

Just spoken to Jnr, who’s been back at uni for two weeks.

Apparently Covid has gone nuts since they went back. His two flatmates tested positive this morning, and he was in some sort of jazz club cellar last night with them so expects to test positive anytime now. Though he had it back in August and got his third (booster) jab in early January, so who knows?

He’s reckons this would be the best time to catch it and get it over with, looking at his workload this term. Must be great being young, jabbed and healthy.

He’s reckons this would be the best time to catch it and get it over with, looking at his workload this term. Must be great being young, jabbed and healthy.

I’d quite happily get it again, but despite my best efforts, I just seem immune.

Had Alpha/Beta last Christmas, was mildly ill, no worse than a cold. Not worn a mask since June 2021, had no jabs, been out locally in pubs rife with it, been to heaving bars, clubs, gigs, theatre shows in Chesterfield, Nottingham, York, Manchester. I’m 50 and have shit lungs from pneumonia as an infant and 30 years of heavy smoking

Strangely, all the other unvaxxed people I know have been absolutely fine too. Maybe just lucky

kelvin

Let’s hope everyone you were in contact with were just as “lucky”.

vazaha

… Strangely, all the other unvaxxed people I know have been absolutely fine too. Maybe just lucky

Isn’t that word for word what you have previously posted somewhere upthread? Never having had covid myself i have yet to lose my sense of smell.

tjagain

On the spotify thing ( at risk of a derailment)   this is basically the “no platform” argument which has been going on with no solution since I was a kid.  it may seem obvious to no platform anti vaxers, neo nazis etc but the issue become where do you draw the line and who decides?  Its actually a difficult ethical question in my view

Viewing 40 posts - 37,601 through 37,640 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.