• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • tcomc1000
    Free Member

I have had the lurgi for 3 weeks now ( the joy of 2 lads in nursery). Has left me with quite a cough. Very much enjoying talking loudly with friends in lifts at work about my recent trip to Hong Kong ( obviously fabricated-did you not just read the bit about two kids in nursery!) whilst coughing and rasping.
    There is a very obvious increase in numbers of people who leave said lift at the first opportunity.
    It’s the little things that make I laff:)

Drac

Yeah I’ve seen Ghost too.

tpbiker
    Free Member

little things that make I laff

Yeah..that’s absolutely hilarious

Oh wait..

Sui
    Free Member

bloomin heck, my trip to Korea has been put on hold, by of all people a school! If I go, family members have to self quarantine for 14 days on return on advice from FCO apparantly. grrr

IdleJon

20 seems a very high number..I have visions of a home petting zoo.

He’s got a medium sized aquarium, with a decent stock of Neon Tetras, obviously.

thepurist

If I go, family members have to self quarantine for 14 days on return on advice from FCO apparantly

Really?  Can’t see that advice on here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

Reading that they just say to take action if you develop symptoms after returning home from Korea.   Sounds like the school are embellishing the FCO advice a bit.

Sui
    Free Member

Really? Can’t see that advice on here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

Reading that they just say to take action if you develop symptoms after returning home from Korea. Sounds like the school are embellishing the FCO advice a bit.

the school in question is a posh one (not my kids) and i believe they are getting info directly from them, still think it’s overkill. MY reaction was just spend two weeks in a hotel away from the family and blame it on the gov/school.. win win.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

the school in question is a posh one (not my kids)

Why are you heeding advice from a school your children don’t go to? I assume you didn’t buy uniform for said school your children don’t attend or go to their sports days?

Sui
    Free Member

dangeourbrain

Subscriber
    the school in question is a posh one (not my kids)

Why are you heeding advice from a school your children don’t go to? I assume you didn’t buy uniform for said school your children don’t attend or go to their sports days?

chap im travelling with, his kids go to posh school.. probably should have made that clear!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@sui well just don’t take him then. He probably wears red trousers anyway.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Death toll jumps by 242 in Hubei, where 14,840 new infections were recorded on Wednesday according to CNN.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The spike in infections is down to a WHO change in the definition of “infected”.

theotherjonv

They’re now mainly going on symptoms, which to be fair could also be people with a cold/bronchitis.

Equally it could be the virus, but if it is then the number of deaths hasn’t risen by the same amount so suggests that it isn’t as severe as previously suggested.

Either way I’m not stockpiling bog roll yet, or eating my pets.

maccruiskeen

Equally it could be the virus, but if it is then the number of deaths hasn’t risen by the same amount so suggests that it isn’t as severe as previously suggested.

keep in mind though that it takes at least  a week from infection to death so in determining a mortality rate you should be comparing this weeks death total  with infection reported up to a week ago

martinhutch

The spike in infections is down to a WHO change in the definition of “infected”.

The Chinese government has reversed (presumably under WHO pleading), it’s earlier decision to change the way it recorded cases. So we had people on media yesterday suggesting that case numbers were beginning to plateau, and this morning reporting a large spike, which is just the continuation of the earlier trend.

Upshot: as you were…

Sidenote: One side-effect of the rather flexible attitude to intellectual property in China is that they are planning to just copy and dish out a promising antiviral drug without haggling with the US pharma company that has the licence. Can’t imagine Trump will be happy. 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

On the upside the change in diagnosis means I’ve had it since Christmas so I’m probably immune for a bit at least.

richmtb

London Coronavirus patient takes Uber to hospital

This is why the disease will end up spreading in the UK and other Western countries, the rank stupidity of the inhabitants.

Rockape63
    Free Member

My junior doctor nephew, who who works in a Surrey A & E dept, told me they have people coming in wanting to be tested for coronavirus, as they have eaten a Chinese takeway!

somafunk

^, There was a radio phone in with a virologist a few days ago and he was asked by a caller if it is safe to eat Chinese takeaway,

johnx2
    Free Member

Well?

Is it???

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about Corona lager?
    Doesnt sound very safe either..

whatgoesup

London Coronavirus patient takes Uber to hospital

This is why the disease will end up spreading in the UK and other Western countries, the rank stupidity of the inhabitants.

It’s not just the Western country inhabitants that are stupid, it’s people. The patient here was actually a Chinese national…

Two staff from Lewisham hospital in south London are now in isolation at home after coming into contact with the woman, a Chinese national who had recently arrived in the capital from China.

Lewisham hospital on Thursday confirmed the unnamed patient had not followed public health officials’ advice and had simply “self-presented” at its A&E unit last Sunday afternoon.

She did not arrive by ambulance or her own private vehicle and went straight to the A&E reception desk to report her symptoms – both clear breaches of guidance aimed at stopping the spread of the virus.

richmtb

t’s not just the Western country inhabitants that are stupid, it’s people

Oh I agree completely, but in Western countries we don’t have a quasi-totalitarian regime to keep our inherent stupidity in check!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Oh I agree completely, but in Western countries we don’t have a quasi-totalitarian regime to keep our inherent stupidity in check!

At least the Chinese know that people are stupid and thus let technocrats rule them.

We think we’re **** awesome and more civilised than everyone else and yet consistently vote for complete window lickers to run things.

tjmoore

Just back from Chamonix and been up and down the valley to places only few miles away from Les Contamines-Montjoie where “that bloke” was. I’ve now got a cold (rarely get colds). Will I die?

Work actually suggested working from home all week as there’s some concern! 😄 (suits me WFH whatever).

Interesting though going through both Heathrow and Geneva on way out and on the way back, the amount of people wearing face masks.

v8ninety

Will I die?

Categorically, yes. It’s only a matter of time.

patrickross
    Free Member

CBA to read the thread but I bet some one has made a pithy self denigrating remark like “we are the virus”

But seriously, definitely getting a Super Spreader T Shirt

takisawa2

Situation may have changed but, (from a colleague in Shanghai), they were only counting fatalities if they had been confirmed as having the virus before dying, making the official estimate too low… Not good.

Employees from within the Shanghai area allowed back but the company had to apply for approval from the government.
    Some significant measures in place:

Workplace professionally cleaned & sanitised.

Permanent face masks.

Work stations spacing doubled, any congregating strictly banned.

No face to face meetings – web cam/ phone only. (I’d love that…) 🙂

No heating or AC, all windows open permanently. It’s 3-4c in the office!!!

Regional restrictions dependant, anyone from outside Shanghai can come back, but has to go into two week isolation on arrival. It’s crippling many businesses. 🙁

poly
    Free Member

A bit harsh to blame someone suffering from a potentially fatal disease for seeking medical help. I’m reasonably attuned to government advice – and have seen nothing telling me this is not what to do except for one poster that happened to be on the bus taking from a flight to the terminal last week. If we had landed at an airbridge I’d have seen nothing. It was in English despite being specifically trying to get a message to people coming from Asia. I’ve not seen any other instructions from official sources for people who think they may be infected. Common sense says don’t go to A&E and spread it, BUT sick people aren’t very good at rational thought, and foreigners unfamiliar with the NHS and 111 are probably even less likely to “get it right”.

MoreCashThanDash

My GP had texts out 2-3 weeks ago telling me that if I thought I had the virus on no account was I to go anywhere near the surgery but I was to ring them for advice.

To be fair, that seems to be their attitude for any illness or injury

jimdubleyou

To be fair, going to A&E is what you’re supposed to do to get healthcare in China.

When my step dad was ill when we were out there for my brothers wedding that what they had to do. I don’t think the concept of GP exists the same way as we know it.

ferrals
    Free Member

Just seen on the guardian that someone with coronavirus attend a conference in central london. Only 250 delagates, the advice being don’t worry unless you start to feel ill.

What I don’t get is every conference I’ve ever been to is like a germ fest; packed in small rooms, loads of shaking hands and eating buffet food; yet they are saying minimal risk don’t worry unless you start to feel ill. Surely this is how it start to spread quickly as it seems you can be contagious without symptoms. Why don’t they say that those 250 jsut self-isolate? Sure it’s a pain, but better than increasing spreading around the uk, as I guess delagates will have come from all over.

IHN

At least the Chinese know that people are stupid and thus let technocrats rule them.
    We think we’re **** awesome and more civilised than everyone else and yet consistently vote for complete window lickers to run things.

Amen brother

kerley
    Free Member

Surely this is how it start to spread quickly as it seems you can be contagious without symptoms. Why don’t they say that those 250 jsut self-isolate?

Because the UK is not managing it at all. A number of those 250 are highly likely to have it and in a few weeks time so will their families and exponentially it goes.
    I would guess the majority of people are even aware of self isolation or any guidance as it has not been broadcast – again, a piss poor job by UK health orgs. The government seems to be great at targeting people on Facebook, putting up loads of posters, posting leaflets etc,. when it is a campaign to get elected but can’t seem to do that regarding health advice.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

There’s no point managing it now, it’s too easily spread and the horse has bolted. Managing it would create huge economic damage and possibly kill a lot of people by shutting down food and medical supplies.

We just need to sit back now and let it kill a lot of people.

People aren’t used to rolling the dice on risk these days though, so people are going to panic.

stewartc
    Free Member

Well I get to work from home for another 2 weeks so its not so bad, silver linings etc.

Drac

Over 1,800 people tested in the U.K. 9 tested positive. I’m not going to panic buy just yet.

mooman
    Free Member

raybanwomble

There’s no point managing it now, it’s too easily spread and the horse has bolted. Managing it would create huge economic damage and possibly kill a lot of people by shutting down food and medical supplies.

We just need to sit back now and let it kill a lot of people.

People aren’t used to rolling the dice on risk these days though, so people are going to panic

Sounds just a tad as if it’s you who is panicking ..
    The old and those in poor health appear at greatest risk .. exactly as they would be to the flu this time of year anyways.

My wife & son on front line of NHS; I work in the community & regularly visit hospitals .. I don’t feel any reason to panic over this virus.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Over 1,800 people tested in the U.K. 9 tested positive. I’m not going to panic buy just yet.

Based on the average GP waiting room 9 out 1800 people actually having something other than a cold or old age seems like a fairly horrifying statistic.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.