• This topic has 37,627 replies, 980 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by convert.
Viewing 40 posts - 34,561 through 34,600 (of 37,628 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Premier Icon jam-bo

Yes. But it shows you where and when there are available slots. And once I’d actually cancellled, it showed me even more.

this morning there weren’t any before Xmas.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

Am slightly confused

Phizer provisionally saying that 3 shots of the vaccine provides similar levels of antibodies against omicron as 2 shots does against delta

This sounds like great news, especially if omicron is not as potent in the first place

Premier Icon kelvin

This sounds like great news

It is… except that the variant is already in the UK, and early data suggests it’s highly transmittable, and most people will get the booster after Christmas. So there’s going to be a bit of a race between vaccinations and the virus (just as there was this time last year), and the virus is looking faster than ever.

especially if omicron is not as potent in the first place

As others have already said in this thread, it depends on a whole load of other variables… if it’s more transmissible, and previous infection offers less protection, and current vacation levels do as well, then we could end up with a huge wave of cases that (even if there are lower rates of morbidity and mortality) could result in hospitalisation rates that mean very hard choices for medical staff.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2300375-omicron-looks-set-to-cause-a-huge-wave-of-covid-19-around-the-world/

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

I’m not missing another Christmas with my grandparents regardless of what may be brought in, I don’t know if they’ll make it to Christmas 2022.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@airvent I hear ya buddy.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

This sounds like great news

Also, not everyone will have got three shots of Pfizer (I’ve had 2 x AZ and 1 x Moderna)

Premier Icon JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I had to cancel my booster which was scheduled for Monday due to currently being ill with suspected food poisoning .
    I tried to cancel via the NHS app but couldn’t make it work and ended up phoning 119.I believe you have e to allow 24 hours to elapse before you can book a new appointment.
    I checked just now and am able to book a new date. Some availability for as soon as tomorrow but would rather feel a bit better before getting mine.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

So there’s going to be a bit of a race between vaccinations and the virus (just as there was this time last year), and the virus is looking faster than ever.

Current peek of Omicron is supposed thought be approx end of Jan according to a Dr (can’t remember who) on BBC news yesterday….. Although obviously that could change.

Premier Icon swavis

Also, not everyone will have got three shots of Pfizer (I’ve had 2 x AZ and 1 x Moderna)

I had my booster of Pfizer yesterday to go along with my 2 x AZ, by eck my arm hurts! I hope that’s the only symptoms 🙂

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

I’m not missing another Christmas with my grandparents regardless of what may be brought in, I don’t know if they’ll make it to Christmas 2022.

Every sympathy with that viewpoint. Kids have already lost their grandad this year not having seen him since Christmas 2019, and granny is now in a home and probably wouldn’t recognise them.

My own parents are 5 minutes walk away, thank goodness.

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

Every sympathy with that viewpoint. Kiss have already lost their grandad thus year not having seen him since Christmas 2019, and granny is now in a home and probably wouldn’t recognise them.

Sorry to hear that. Hope this ones a better one for you and yours.

Premier Icon gray

Edited: oops, was replying to a message on the previous page and didn’t see that there was now a new page, which already had replies. Doh.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Tried booking my booster today, but same as before over 40 but not quite 6 months since my second jab, so computer says no.

Premier Icon kelvin

We feel lucky that the kids got to see all three grandparents for a week in the summer. That’s it for two years though. There is no chance that they won’t be seeing them this Christmas. If contacts need to be reduced to get the NHS (and as many people as possible) through the winter, the government had better look to other ways of doing it than asking people to not meet family at Christmas… even on simple practical terms… it will not work… people will not comply.

Premier Icon scotroutes

I had my booster of Pfizer yesterday to go along with my 2 x AZ, by eck my arm hurts! I hope that’s the only symptoms

I had my Pfizer booster last week, plus the flu jag in the same arm. No symptoms whatsoever!

Premier Icon kelvin

I still think those working in hospitality need to prepare for a quiet January. I don’t see the government has many other options it can use (if it needs to). It had better be ready to financially support those hit by any required social distancing measures if it comes to it as well. No support, no compliance at this stage, especially given the behaviour of those who run and work in government.

Premier Icon MrSmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry though, i cant find the research now but there were a couple of studies including the covboost one here in the U.K. and a pick and mix approach was very effective and sometimes better than straight Pfizer, they were all in the same ballpark though even though Moderna was slightly higher antibody levels than Pfizer (as an AZ booster).

i was curious when i had my Moderna booster a couple of weeks ago so did a bit of digging on the web.

Premier Icon petefromearth

I still think those working in hospitality need to prepare for a quiet January.

Indeed.

That would hit the industry hard, especially in our case another WFH order, which is looking likely.

Worst case restrictions for us would be WFH plus keeping hospitality open enough that there’s no furlough scheme to keep staff paid, meanwhile our sales and demand nosedives.

That said, I’d support any measures now to avoid a 3-4 month lockdown like last year.

Premier Icon kelvin

Moves in Denmark…

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen come the new year.

Time now for the unvaccinated conspiracy theorists to be formally locked out of society as is happening in Europe.

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis
    Free Member

What’s Plan B? Does it involve a space rocket and Boris?

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Flaperon

Time now for the unvaccinated conspiracy theorists to be formally locked out of society as is happening in Europe.

Other than mandatory vaccination of society which I do have concerns about,I think this is the way to go.

Their choice but it needs to have consequences. A large part of society is losing patience with them and rightly so.

Premier Icon amodicumofgnar

What’s Plan B? Does it involve a space rocket and Boris?

No that’s Plan 9 from Outerspace but I can see how they could be easily confused.

Premier Icon grahamt1980

We don’t need a space rocket. An rpg would be more than enough for him

Premier Icon singletrackmind

My brother was in munich for the weekend just gone
    He said everything revolves around 2 jab passports and daily lfts.
    Strict door controls everywhere actually forcing people queue outside till your vaccination status had been confirmed
    He is self isolated due to foreign travel and wfh
    Put the reluctance to get jabs as a ww2 throwback where the entire population was forced into things against their will. Buts its taken enforcement of fairly draconian measures to increase uptake. You camt buy beer in am offy for example without showing vaccination status

Premier Icon TiRed

SAGE minutes of YESTERDAY’s meeting already published. This is the advice that fed into today’s announcement. Nothing to disagree with really. So much unknown, but a potential for large numbers of hospitalisations and hence prudence advised. More will be known in a week or two, but recall we have about 200 infections per day, 800 in a week and perhaps 3200 in two weeks. This against a background of 40-50k cases of Delta, so spotting the impact of what is still a small fraction of total cases requires careful monitoring.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sage-98-minutes-coronavirus-covid-19-response-7-december-2021/sage-98-minutes-coronavirus-covid-19-response-7-december-2021

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

Well … looks like in Qld we have only Omnicron and “Omnicron-like” at the moment, could make for a useful place to study the details.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-08/qld-coronavirus-covid19-omicron-like-sublineage-strains/100681018

As we’re due to open state borders next week the preparation and comm’s here is being angled towards being COVID Ready.

It fits well with the annual Storm Ready processes that people are already aware of. We get cyclones, serious floods and bushfires as you know, and the community is reasonably well educated at developing plans for how to manage if the poop hits the propeller. We’re encouraging people to prepare for COVID and will be publishing templates to help.

I anticipate a statewide shortage of thermometers by next Wednesday.

Premier Icon Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Tried booking my booster today, but same as before over 40 but not quite 6 months since my second jab, so computer says no.

We’re under 40 (late 30s) and our 2nd Pfizer was not quite 6 months ago.

Our local centre which is also our docs sent out a walk in offer, they fudged the system and jabbed us.

Love the consistency.

Other than mandatory vaccination of society which I do have concerns about,I think this is the way to go.

Their choice but it needs to have consequences. A large part of society is losing patience with them and rightly so.

I agree. A tough line of “your choice, your problem” might get those who appear to be attention seeking to rethink the impact it has on their lives.

Though there would need to be a lot of Police on the ground to deal with the fallout the first couple of weeks, door staff couldn’t and shouldn’t have to deal with the brunt of it.

Anyone know how Covid passports might work in the UK for those without a smart phone?

Premier Icon flatpack

Yes, I’ve rebooked mine for tomorrow morning. The booking website lets you check availability before cancelling your existing booking at least now, which reduces the chance that you cancel and then can’t get another appointment (there’s still a window if availability is very limited and gets booked out in the meantime!)

Well that went well! I’d rebooked my booster for the earliest available date on the national booking service. Turned up this morning to have it and even though you can now book a date inside 6 months and the guidance is to give it to people after 3 months the computer system that actually books you in on the day hasn’t been updated yet and won’t book you in if you’re less than 6 months from your second dose (I’m 9 days too early apparently). I wonder how many appointments are being wasted because of this…

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You camt buy beer in am offy for example without showing vaccination status

That would be awesome here, worth it just for the amount of frothing/gammon faces/tears on show!

That would be awesome here, worth it just for the amount of frothing/gammon faces/tears on show!

Unless you’re the poor shopkeeper having to deal with them, and seeing potential income go out the door.

Premier Icon jam-bo

Turned up this morning to have it and even though you can now book a date inside 6 months and the guidance is to give it to people after 3 months the computer system that actually books you in on the day hasn’t been updated yet and won’t book you in if you’re less than 6 months from your second dose (I’m 9 days too early apparently).

bodes well. rebooked mine for tomorrow at the big centre in plymouth.

Premier Icon jam-bo

Coronavirus (COVID-19) booster vaccine – NHS (www.nhs.uk)

You can pre-book your COVID-19 booster dose online if it’s been 2 months (61 days) since you had your 2nd dose and you are:

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>aged 40 and over</span>

aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts you at high risk from COVID-19

a frontline health or social care worker

You’ll be offered appointment dates from 3 months after the date of your 2nd dose.

seems pretty clear. am I going to be wasting my time going tomorrow?

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve heard more rumours from a couple of people about a Wales lockdown on the 17th now – including (2nd hand) about someone who was at an emergency local authority meeting about it.

I really hope it doesnt happen, but if needs be. Just wish we knew..

Premier Icon flatpack

Well yes that’s what the booking system says and it does offer you appointments so strictly speaking it’s correct, you just can’t have the jab when you arrive!

I was at a small pharmacy with just one person there booking you in and he said it wasn’t possible to override the system, but I’ve heard of people getting jabbed within the 6 months too though so it can’t be insurmountable. Maybe the larger vaccination centres will have seen this more and have a way to work round it.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Hidden away in the “plan B” is the change for close contacts of Omicron.

No longer is it mandatory/legally enforced 10 days isolation, its daily testing.

I’m assuming this is LF testing and self reporting online.

I can’t see if this is for fully vaxxed only.

Ironically, as someone who is fully jabbed, can’t work form home, and has no wish to attend a large concert; Plan B is actually a theoretical improvement to my life.

On a national scale, a sure indication that it is here to stay, and we have no chance of containing it.

Premier Icon TiRed

A German publication just out testing live virus was much more depressing about Pfizer. There was no neutralisation in half of sera and a reduction as expected from time of vaccination. The Truth might be somewhere between. Vaccine sera will play some part in sensitivity and the samples are always small.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.07.21267432v1.full.pdf

Premier Icon bruneep

Unless you’re the poor shopkeeper having to deal with them, and seeing potential income go out the door.

better safe than dead

Premier Icon stcolin
    Free Member

Urgh. It feels like March 2020 all over again.

Day one of LFT’s for me as I prepare to fly home on Friday evening. My dad who is visiting my mum in her care home is required to take LFT’s on the day of visiting and a PCR once a week.

Viewing 40 posts - 34,561 through 34,600 (of 37,628 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.