• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 34,161 through 34,200 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • kelvin

Masks are not a silver bullet. But they are low impact economically and socially, and make a small difference. They reduce how many people an individual will infect while going about day to day business while unknowingly infected. While cases are low, they are a useful tool to help keep them low. We should have been using them in shops and on public transport for months now (I’ve never stopped), but reintroducing them now in just those settings is too little too late.

ernielynch

Got to LOL at the thought that we can keep it out by restricting travel.

The only travel restrictions I am aware of is the temporary travel ban from countries in southern Africa, that was lifted this morning. Now travel can resume whilst complying with testing and quarantining.

The stated aim, I believe, is to slow down the spread of the Omicron variant in the UK. No one is claiming there is a realistic possiblity to stop it being established in the UK.

As I understand it there are three reasons to want to minimise the spread of the Omicron variant. Firstly, and most importantly, to have the maximum about of people covered by the booster/third vaccine, over a third of a million are getting the booster every day. Secondly they want to understand as much as possible about Omicron before it becomes the dominant variant. And thirdly they want to minimise peak demand on the NHS during the winter/flue season.

All of which sounds quite reasonable to me and not particularly funny.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve yet to read anything in the new England rules that kick in on Tuesday 30th, about masks becoming mandatory again for those that work in offices, warehouses.

Prob because contacts can be traced in those case, not in shops and public transport.

I’m bricking it for next week – running a shop and asking customers to wear masks again…. Several regulars have just flatly refused, so I’m going to flatly refuse to sell them anything which will be interesting…..

kelvin

That’s a tough situation to be put in. I hope people don’t respond too unreasonably.

MoreCashThanDash

Got to LOL at the thought that we can keep it out by restricting travel. It’s already here, has been for a while.

Not aware anyone has claimed the travel restrictions would keep it out. They’ve said its about slowing thecspread to buy time to find out what it actually means.

I’m bricking it for next week – running a shop and asking customers to wear masks again…. Several regulars have just flatly refused, so I’m going to flatly refuse to sell them anything which will be interesting…..

Feel for you. You are doing the right thing, even if idiots might make things difficult for you.

jam-bo

twrch
    Free Member

Masks are not a silver bullet.

Oh but they are! On the very same page in this thread as my last comment, someone shared a Guardian article claiming that masks are the “single most effective public health measure” and are “53% effective”. I’m not sure where that leaves vaccines…

But they are low impact economically and socially

Economically maybe. I do worry about their effect on young children. After all, every schoolchild can tell you about the story of the chick that saw a human after it first hatched and became imprinted with their face. How much social developmental harm are we doing, by forcing young children to have the majority of their experiences of other’s faces, with those faces covered by masks?

particularly when propelled with more force ie coughing/sneezing.

To me, this is one of the silliest and grossest parts of the official mask narrative. How many people actually sneeze into their masks, and then continue about their business leaving it in place? It seems to me that it would be much more hygienic if we had some kind of disposable or washable cloth that we could temporarily apply over the face while sneezing, and dispose of appropriately when done.

Drac

While I was working in the NHS we only used PCR tests IIRC

They use both. I test at twice per week and have done for about a year now. Every single member of staff who tested positive on a LFT in our trust has been positive on a PCR. LFT report more false negatives than positives.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve a few anti Vax customers but loads of anti mask…. I’m assuming that they all will have developed exemption illnesses In the last few months…

tjagain

Drac – its the false negatives on LFTs that concern me.  I retired in march but we had not used LFTs up till then.  dunno if thats a trust or country thing or just timing or the area I was in.  We didn’t test any staff on my ward

But as above – I may be ill informed on this

Flaperon

After all, every schoolchild can tell you about the story of the chick that saw a human after it first hatched and became imprinted with their face. How much social developmental harm are we doing, by forcing young children to have the majority of their experiences of other’s faces, with those faces covered by masks?

Pretty sure the sight of Grandma on a ventilator is more damaging to a young child.

twrch
    Free Member

And who TF would inflict that on their child? (Saying that, probably the same people that would tell their kids they might have killed grandma). FWIW, I lost at least one grandparent as a young child (as I am sure, most people have).

thecaptain
    Free Member

Travel restrictions only make a difference if the number of imported cases would be comparable to the number of locally-generated ones. Sorry but that ship sailed a while back. Anyone who believes otherwise, I have a special offer on a bridge you might be interested in buying.

ernielynch

I have a special offer on a bridge you might be interested in buying.

Well you clearly think that there are travel restrictions, despite the fact that there doesn’t appear to be any, so I can’t say that I would trust your judgement on what constitutes a “special offer”.

frankconway

ernie, travel restrictions which are now in force –

Travel restrictions have been put in place on travellers arriving in the UK from South Africa. British and Irish citizens, and third country nationals with residence rights in the UK, are allowed to enter the UK but must follow rules for people arriving from
    red-listed countries. The following categories are also still permitted to enter the UK from South Africa, subject to quarantine and immigration controls:

– Holders of Indefinite Leave to Remain
    – Holders of existing leave to enter or remain (i.e. those with a valid Biometric Residence Permit) or an entry clearance/visa that grants such leave, e.g. students, workers, etc (excluding visit visas)
    – Holders of EU Settlement Scheme (“EUSS”) status
    – Those with a valid pending EUSS application (evidenced by a certificate of application) – those who have applied as a joining family member must also hold a UK-issued Biometric Residence Card, an EUSS Family Permit or an EEA Family Permit, even if this document has since expired
    – Holders of an EUSS Family Permit or an EUSS Travel Permit
    – Holders of a Frontier Worker Permit
    – Those who are transiting through England
    – Those exempt from immigration control
    – Those who have transited South Africa without entering the country

Other travellers are likely to be denied entry if they have been in South Africa within the past 10 day, unless there are compelling or compassionate reasons for your journey or you are covered by a relevant exemption under the health regulations governing travel to the UK.

scotroutes

I retired in march but we had not used LFTs up till then.  dunno if thats a trust or country thing or just timing or the area I was in.  We didn’t test any staff on my ward

Local NHS staff do LFTs twice per week.

ernielynch

Double post

ernielynch

ernie, travel restrictions which are now in force –

I understood that was a temporary ban on flights from southern Africa which was lifted at 4am this morning

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021/11/25/south-africa-added-to-england-s-travel-red-list-travel-amid-covid-19-variant-concern

“We are not going to stop people travelling, I want to stress that, we’re not going to stop people travelling, but we will require anyone who enters the UK to take a PCR test by the end of the second day after their arrival, and to self-isolate until they have a negative result.”

Del

How much social developmental harm are we doing, by forcing young children to have the majority of their experiences of other’s faces, with those faces covered by masks?

Difficult to gauge I imagine. However my partner is the head of a large primary. 30% of her staff were off ill, isolating, or looking after their own sick or isolating children on Friday. Anyone who’s too f’in precious to put a piece of cloth over their face for 5 minutes at a time while they shop, or go on the bus, needs to have a bloody word with themselves, or visit their local hospital, or heaven forbid call for an ambulance for a loved one. And wait, and wait, and wait. Hope it’s not serious.

As for those who are STILL going in to the office while ill have we learned nothing in the past 2 years? FFS.

frankconway

ernie, your johnson quote refers to travel generally.
    The specific restrictions on SA travel were implemented at 4am today; direct flights to UK banned until further notice.
    My quote above is from gov.uk website as at earlier today.

MoreCashThanDash

So, Sunday night is LFT night Chez Morecash….

Mine was negative, daughter positive, so PCRs booked for 9.30 tomorrow. None of us have any symptoms.

Desperately hoping I’m negative as we need to bring eldest – and the contents of his flat – back from uni next weekend as it’s an early finish for Christmas.

bigdean

As for those who are STILL going in to the office while ill have we learned nothing in the past 2 years? FFS

Try working in a college in mid cold/ snot season.
    Having to sit near an sniffing/ coughing sneezing student(s) then use their computer mouse when you need to demonstrate something almost retching.🤢
    Fortunately am fully jabbed, not against colds though, but have taken to wiping hands straight after with the wipes in the classrooms (though those are running out)

ernielynch

The specific restrictions on SA travel were implemented at 4am today; direct flights to UK banned until further notice.
    My quote above is from gov.uk website as at earlier today.

This is the latest update on the UK government website :

If you arrived in England between midday 26 November and 4am 28 November and have been in any of the following countries in the previous 10 days, you must quarantine at home, or at alternative appropriate accommodation:

South Africa
    Botswana
    Eswatini
    Lesotho
    Namibia
    Zimbabwe
    Quarantine applies to you and your household, or whoever you are staying with.

NHS Test and Trace services will contact you to issue your free COVID-19 PCR tests to be taken on day 2 and day 8.

If you arrived in England from any of these countries after 4am 28 November, you must follow standard red list rules. This means you must quarantine in a managed hotel, and take 2 COVID-19 tests.

Note the last paragraph.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Ernie are you just playing the pedant over whether you consider 10 days in a hotel at a cost of over 2 grand to be a “restriction” or did you have a point?

ernielynch

So you are admitting that there is not a ban on traveling from South Africa because of Omicron. Jolly good.

Yes there are restrictions, there are always restrictions, eg passport/ visa required etc, it does not mean that there is a travel ban.

There will be restrictions on public transport tomorrow, you will have to wear a face covering, it doesn’t mean traveling isn’t allowed.

If you are unhappy with the restrictions then that is another matter. Obviously you are. Although you do not appear able to provide a coherent explanation as to why you reject sensible precautions.

vazaha

So you are admitting that…

Oh great, ernie’s brought his mad skillz over.

This is sure to enhance the tone of this thread elevenfold.

*pictures from the scene just in* ernie composes his retort –
    null

vazaha

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Thanks all.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I never said there was a travel ban

twrch
    Free Member

30% of her staff were off ill, isolating, or looking after their own sick or isolating children on Friday.

I wonder if we will ever be able to know how many people sent home to “isolate” were actually ill with Covid. In my own subjective experience of those I know who have had to isolate, I would guess the number is less than 10%. Now that we are all terrified of the slightest rise in temperature or a cough, several times my wife and I have had to pick up our perfectly healthy kids from nursery (and at considerable disruption to our ability to hold down a job).

or heaven forbid call for an ambulance for a loved one. And wait, and wait, and wait. Hope it’s not serious.

I know. Our health service has basically collapsed anyway, despite the numbers of Covid patients being very low. You can’t be telling me that the single-digit percentage of Covid patients currently in hospital (I just checked, it’s 6% of total occupied beds) has caused the collapse of the ambulance service? (Or, for that matter, the disappearance of many forms of community care and other non-essential health services. I can tell you that post-natal visits and the like have basically stopped – I dread to think of the horrors that will be eventually revealed due to this). A close relative works for the ambulance service, and they say it’s heart-breaking to have to tell people that an ambulance is on the way when they know perfectly well that there isn’t. The causes are complex, but certainly not because the ambulances are currently all full rushing Covid-infected people to hospital.

reluctantjumper

You can’t be telling me that the single-digit percentage of Covid patients currently in hospital (I just checked, it’s 6% of total occupied beds) has caused the collapse of the ambulance service? (Or, for that matter, the disappearance of many forms of community care and other non-essential health services. I can tell you that post-natal visits and the like have basically stopped – I dread to think of the horrors that will be eventually revealed due to this). A close relative works for the ambulance service, and they say it’s heart-breaking to have to tell people that an ambulance is on the way when they know perfectly well that there isn’t. The causes are complex, but certainly not because the ambulances are currently all full rushing Covid-infected people to hospital.

It’s not about the number of current Covid cases, it’s the backlog left from the last 18 months of restricted services, the complete lack of social care places available and the fact that staff are mentally destroyed so leaving in droves that’s the main issue. The small number of Covid cases currently ending up in hospital is more than enough to push the system over the edge, hence ambulances waiting for hours to unload. This winter is going to be hell for the NHS regardless, the least we can do is not add to it.

willard

Well, that time is getting closer. The time when we get COVID.

Workmate of my girlfriend called us on Sunday to say she was symptomatic and testing positive by PCR on Sunday after a negative LFT on Friday. She had apparently been in contact with someone on Tuesday that had later tested positive.

A quick-test this morning showed negative, so either we avoided it again, or it is too early to show up on the test. GF is going in to her office and will test again tomorrow (she has to go in) and I am staying at home and working remotely. Even double jabbed, this is a lot of stress.

twrch
    Free Member

It’s not about the number of current Covid cases, it’s the backlog left from the last 18 months of restricted services, the complete lack of social care places available and the fact that staff are mentally destroyed so leaving in droves that’s the main issue.

You’re right, it’s not Covid causing this problem. And, how else will we ever get out of this destructive cycle, except by releasing the strictures the NHS has placed itself under, and resume all of the “non-essential” healthcare services? It’s pretty well-known that, due to the ongoing lack of care services, the only option is to wait until you have to go to A+E, where you end up presenting with a basket case of health problems that creates a huge single point of load.

Talking of burdens on the NHS – how much is caused by our current obligation to demand medical intervention, if you happen to have certain minor symptoms? (eg, testing or a doctor’s visit, if you want to return to work / have your kids go back to school), or by parents now so terrified of disease that they bang on the doors of the NHS at every sniffle, or even by previously minor diseases now causing severe health problems due to our collective reduction in a healthy immune system? Every parent I know has experienced at least one combination of the above, and not one of them actually had Covid. That adds up to a new, huge and un-necessary burden on the NHS.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sat on a train – despite people having to wear masks as of tomorrow, and the fact there is an increasing risk of catching Covid due to the new variant, barely anyone is wearing a mask. I just don’t get it? Do people want to get it or something?

kimbers

So I’ve just tested positive and so have 3 of my kids, 1 is asymptomatic.

I had it back in Jan and had quite mild symptoms, I’d say that now I have the worst flu I’ve ever had, if this is new variant it doesn’t seem mild!

I’m double jabbed so I’d guess it is omicron
    I get the train into London every day and I’m in the minority wearing a mask

kimbers

just checked, it’s 6% of total occupied beds)

I dont think you’re appreciating just how stretched NHS is in a normal winter, I collect tumours from cancer ops and every winter urgent ops are cancelled due to itu bed shortage
    At the moment it’s particularly bad, it’s not just covid, acute staff shortages especially in diagnostics in pathology and social care shambles bed blocking, but covid on top of all that is a nightmare

martinhutch

It’s more likely to be Delta right now. You can still catch it after two jabs, and get ‘moderately’ ill if you are unlucky, the main benefit of the jabs is to stop you from needing hospitalisation (or worse). If you are on the train with lots of unmasked people, it’s also possible that you received a larger infectious dose.

When did you have your second jab? Possibly your immunity is starting to tail off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I dont think you’re appreciating just how stretched NHS is in a normal winter

Absolutely, and it’s not just a numbers game, all sorts of stuff going on, Mrs was working in stroke rehab ward for 6 months, it’s reaming full, as most of the patients have zero potential for rehab, but there’s no care home space available.

Tbh I dunno if I’d take the published numbers as gospel anyway

kimbers

When did you have your second jab? Possibly your immunity is starting to tail off.

End of June, so right on the 5 months, I’m over 40 & went to book booster but told gp would contact to arrange

As I understand it unlikely pcr will able to detect omicron as it won’t see s-drop out?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-nhs-test-and-trace-might-struggle-in-the-fight-against-omicron

swavis

It’s more likely to be Delta right now. You can still catch it after two jabs, and get ‘moderately’ ill if you are unlucky, the main benefit of the jabs is to stop you from needing hospitalisation (or worse)

Spot on. I caught it back in August and was double jabbed, I really didn’t feel great for about a week then for a few months afterwards still didn’t feel just quite right. Horrible virus.

stretch…
    Free Member

Some of our surgical wards are full of medical (elderly) patients. Many are awaiting discharge with nowhere to be discharged to because of the lack of care home beds (staff).

A lot of elective work has been delayed and we have limited capacity to admit via A&E which manifests in the queues of ambulances that we are getting to used to seeing.

Viewing 40 posts - 34,161 through 34,200 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.