• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 32,281 through 32,320 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Day 6 after testing positive for me and day 8 for my girlfriend. If anything we’re feeling worse day by day. My cough has gone mind. We’re isolating in a motorhome….starting to wear a bit thin that. Olympics, 6 music and Harry Potter marathon isn’t as much fun for the sixth day in a row.

somafunk

kelvin/soobalias – cheers, I’ve got no worries bout having the Pfizer vaccine, others in my situation with similar reactions to the AZ vaccine have had no adverse reactions with Pfizer so im looking forward to being able to leave the house soon.

dannyh
    Free Member

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member
    That was far too easy.

Posted 15 hours ago
    REPLY | REPORT

It sure was.

somafunk

26 hrs after getting the Pfizer vaccine I am chuffed/disappointed to report that I have no symptoms whatsoever, not even a lump or sore arm at injection site yet I’m still awaiting the upgrade to 5G capability, perhaps that’ll come later or maybe I need a reboot?.

Disappointed because a mate said he felt like he was almost tripping after the Pfizer jag, kinda upset I missed out on that side effect tbh.

Del

Never mind all that. Let us speak to Bill. 🙃

Glad to hear you’ve come away unscathed old chap. 👍

sobriety
    Free Member

Disappointed because a mate said he felt like he was almost tripping after the Pfizer jag, kinda upset I missed out on that side effect tbh.

Your mate does realise that the vaccinations happen inside the building, and that the wild-eyed man offering jags in the car park isn’t a real doctor, doesn’t he?

kelvin

Take it easy for a bit Somafunk. Sounding grand so far.

oldnpastit

“It feels exactly like a cold, maybe a little bit worse”.

These stories of apparently healthy people dying from this thing seem to be on the rise. I wonder if Delta cares even less about your opinions than the original version.

Kryton57

Well I had a rough day yesterday on two fronts.

We took my daughter -8- to the docs for two reasons. Previously Hypoglycemic as a toddler, a few days ago I spotted that her hands were shaking when eating her breakfast. A quick quiz materlised that she “often feels shakey and sometimes cold” in the morning. Also, she’s been very clingy with my wife pretty much refusing to go to bed without her in the room

On the first point yesterday’s fasted blood test was good but we now have a home prick test so if she does get shakey in the morning we can self monitor to see if the Hypo is back. On the second point I feel very bad/angry/confused about; the diagnosis is that she’s suffering from separation anxiety which the Doc says has become hugely common in children during Lockdowns, and more prevelant if there’s anxiety in the family already (me). We now have a whole management plan, but being a person that’s followed lockdowns and advice to the letter to protect against Covid I’m really upset that a side affect of this has promoted anxiety onto my daughter. What did she ever do to deserve this and how is this going to affect her future?

Secondly, last night I went out – as in “out out” for the first time to a bike club summer meeting. This is held in a beer garden in London. First time properly on the train/tube/in a busy pub for me which I found uncomfortable. My observations were that 90% of people are still acting as if Covid is a prevalent and worrying illness (well, it is). Most people were wearing masks even outside, mini personal bottles of sanitiser appeared frequently, and people distanced – a lot. So much for Freedom day, it would seem the vast majority favour self protection. For me, this heightened my own worry, as I returned early in a flurry of nervousness about “being outside” in a zombie apocalypse environment.

Anyway sorry for the long post, I thought it might be worth posting as a reminder of perhaps how the impact of the last two years is even subtlety affecting people, but also – in my opinion – the sensibility of the majority to protect themselves and others at this time which would seem very much to counter the freedom day mass opening rhetoric as a positive.

It’s left me feeling quite confused this morning tbh, even as a relatively intelligent human being, possibly dwelling on the experience too much.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I must say that if most of your coronavirus experience comes from this thread then you’ll understandably be filled with anxiety and dread.
    For me personally, having a teacher for a wife and doing a job myself that was not possible from home, I resigned myself to catching it at some point (actually took until this Christmas to get it), and thus I just got on with life and followed reasonable precautions (am vaccinated and still wearing a mask because I think these are only small inconveniences).
    When I spent too long browsing this thread over the past 18 months I got anxious, angry and depressed. It’s very easy to get caught up in this bubble.
    The reality is that the odds are very much in your favour and that life is not without risk. You and your family’s experience has illustrated that withdrawing from society is not without risk either.
    Anyway, hope your daughter gets back to normal soon. Maybe some more trips out would be the lesser of two evils?
    Take care mate.

TiRed

That video is tragic. Trust your immune system indeed. Trust it to prepare an immune response and neutralising antibodies via a vaccine that presents spike protein for when you meet to the virus. 99.9% is 1/1000 affected. I guess he was a that 1/1000.

Cases have ceased to continue falling. Whether they will climb as precipitously as previously I think unlikely, but we are leading Europe and the US. India also has stopped falling. We won’t see such a huge drop in admissions or deaths, they are slower to respond and don’t see such immediate changes.

Rollingdonut is correct, the pathogen presents problems for a relatively small proportion of the population. But as we have seen small proportions of large numbers are still large numbers. The vaccines we have rolled out are remarkable in their efficacy for protection from morbidity. We should be vaccinating adolescents as per their approval and practice in other countries.

Meanwhile I’m off on holiday (at home!)

kelvin

Three very good posts.

I don’t think this thread has been overly negative though. As we’ve gone along it has been very informative about the risk levels together with the reality of the potential for exponential growth in infections (and the damage that can result from that)… and more importantly, as more and more became known about this virus, how we can reduce the risk to others by our collective actions.

At this point it is.

– wear a mask when indoors in public, ignore the contrarians who claim that is a huge infringement of your rights (including those in parliament and press)
    – get vaccinated as soon as the gov allows it (they need to be more up front about the plan for teens)

Have a good summer. Please help reduce the spread of infection before the next academic year starts.

scotroutes

Cases have ceased to continue falling.

Indeed, they seem to be rising again in Scotland and that’s before the further relaxation of restrictions starting on Monday and a week before the schools go back.

vazaha

I genuinely don’t get why people view this thread as a downer.

It has been my ‘go to’ from the start – it has had its ups and downs, but the ups have always won through. If it has ever been a bit difficult, well, everything has been at least a little bit difficult, hasn’t it?

I don’t think i ever imagined myself to be in the middle of a pandemic, and yet here we are.

We have been very fortunate to have been guided through it by some very thoughtful contributors.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

It’s been my go to thread for information as well throughout and in that way has been superb. It has been really reassuring at times.
    However it often descended into periods where every post started or ended with ‘we’re f**ked or we’re doomed’ or into pages of bitter arguments about how stupid everybody was except us, and this got really soul destroying.

MoreCashThanDash

However it often descended into periods where every post started or ended with ‘we’re f**ked or we’re doomed’ or into pages of bitter arguments about how stupid everybody was except us, and this got really soul destroying.

I think from that point of view it’s reflected the mental swings of people going through a period of great uncertainty- fears for health, jobs, family, and if course, a lot of us have been directly affected by the virus and have lost friends and family. I’ve had some fairly daft (with hindsight) wobbles and meltdowns over the last 808 pages, but the calmer voices have made me get things in proper perspective again. I don’t see that as a negative of the thread.

I do wonder if I’ll ever get time to sit down and reread the whole thread, would be quite an interesting thing to preserve for future generations.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I appreciate that, but that’s why it was nice to put the phone down and go to work, chat to people and forget about the pandemic for huge tracts of time, because the world essentially looked the same as normal. I found being on the Internet the most worrying place to be, not out in the ‘plague zone’.
    It’s clear everyone has different opinions and this is just my experience, but I feel it is a valid opinion and it should be noted how too much exposure to information could be as harmful as too little.

martinhutch

People have different coping strategies for what has been a very difficult period for most of us mentally. Not reading this kind of thread is a perfectly valid one. 🙂

I’m sure I’ll be able to go back and look at my engagement with it as a fairly accurate barometer to the peaks and troughs of my mood during all this.

Kryton57

but the calmer voices have made me get things in proper perspective again

I agreed with this.

too much exposure to information could be as harmful as too little.

And also this. It reminds my that one of the points raised during my prior CBT was not to try to find information on flights/planes/weather and allow my brain to go into overdrive, just accept it as it is.

I find myself with headache and fatigue since Sunday morning, no other symptoms but it’s easy to leap to Fridays nights social as a potential cause of “something” being fought off by my immune system. As I’m not leaving the house I’ll give it another day and if it’s the same tommorrow (to eliminate cycling training and Lions test beers as the cause) I’ll take a test.

theotherjonv

The first few pages, of the (in hindsight black) humour that a pandemic’s finally coming, good, it’ll clear out all the old people and so on…..really do make quite uncomfortable reading now.

I think that this thread has been very helpful. A bit squabbley at times but where there are different opinions there will be disagreements. Bluntly, if it wasn’t this thread some of the more ‘controversial’ posters would have found something else to troll.

Latest updates: it looks like the predictions made back in early July were overstated and that the 100K, even 200K cases per day is not going to happen. The numbers increased dramatically and then reduced and that skewed predictions, looking at dates it’s almost certainly that the Euros were to blame for that increased transmission. If you look at the curves, it is however still on the increase with the extra cases and deaths a hump on the trend line.

As for the # cases vs hospitalizations and deaths. I again say that cases is no longer a reliable metric as this is skewed by testing and reporting and I’m certain people are now avoiding testing in case they are then sropped from doing what they want to do this summer. But using my previous metric anyway, that hosp follows cases by about 2 weeks, and deaths follows hosp by about a week to 10 days, my multipliers are still working out as about 1/50 of cases result in hospitalizations (ca 40K in mid July -> 800 admissions at end July) and 1/10 of hospitalisations result in deaths (800 admissions at end July -> 80 deaths per day currently). Combined – about 1/500 cases results in death 0.2%

It’s still a potentially high number, if the mask deniers and non-testers could reflect on that and consider whether their choices are really correct.

kelvin

it looks like the predictions made back in early July were overstated

Yup, the predictions that it would keep rising at the rate it was, rather than plateau once we hit the summer holidays, and fall before the return to schools, were always going to be wrong. Two reasons… the strange misdirection that football focused meet ups and travelling were either essential or safe, when travelling and meeting up for other recreational reasons (music festivals etc) were not, seemed to have blinded modellers and stopped the impact of the Euros from being properly observed… secondly, the idea that “schools are safe” meant the full importance of education premises on transmission rates keeps being missed, despite the data from last summer.

I said this at the time. The ‘doomsday’ predictions for the summer were wrong. I also said that would lead to people dropping their guard later in August and allowing infection rates to stay high enough to cause problems going into the next academic year. I’m hoping to be wrong on that one.

Bunnyhop

This thread has been the only place on the interweb that I’ve been to.
    The information from the scientists, doctors and other people in the know, has been remarkable and I can’t thank you all enough.

One question though: are we any nearer to knowing how long the vaccinations will protect us? Will we be having ‘top ups’ in the winter? Thanks.

Enjoy your ‘Staycation’ TiRed.

scotroutes

@theotherjonv – I’m still referring to the cases : hospitalisations : deaths graph on the travellingtabby site to see the difference between now and previous waves. Unfortunately it only exists on the Scottish page, not the UK wide page.

Numbers testing has dropped but by nowhere near as much as the cases.

kelvin

Will we be having ‘top ups’ in the winter?

Enough doses have been ordered for everyone to have boosters… it’ll be handled in the same way as the initial doses, that is old and at risk first. How far ‘down’ the risk groups the booster roll out goes will presumably depend on data we get on any waning in immunity, or new variants, in the coming months. But the government have got it right in terms of procurement, the doses for boosters are coming, whether we end up needing them or not.

theotherjonv

@scotroutes

I use the Gov data, also Worldometer but that doesn’t have the same granularity.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases

What I see on that and on your graph is that the very end of the graph is starting to tick up a bit which is why i think the big increases and numbers in July are the anomaly / hump on the long term trend line. A big hump, with a number of associated deaths but that’s the price of ‘freedom’.

How much further it will tick up, and how long till it peaks and starts to decline I don’t know. Countering that of course is returns to school and the change in the seasons.

scotroutes

I’m coming to the conclusion that it may never drop, that the numbers involved are now at the “acceptable” level, pending any emergence of a more deadly strain.

Given the moves towards more Freedom, I think we can conclude that our governments think the same.

Kryton57

I’m coming to the conclusion that it may never drop, that the numbers involved are now at the “acceptable” level, pending any emergence of a more deadly strain.

Likely this, bear in mind we are about 2 months from “Flu Season”, so as Kelvin says with the kids at school plus “normal” Flu starting to do the rounds expect some significant case number rises in multiple viruses. Also add the economic impact; people will likely be more cautious about going out with a sniffle, so I wondered whether there will be some self-policed isolations as people get nervous and “sniffles in the office” is now an actual thing to be avoided.

trialtemptation
    Free Member

Off to get second Vaccination on Sat and it’s a walk in session so I’ll be taking my 16 year old daughter as well, can anyone confirm if Pfizer is still the only one they give to Teens?

Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wondered whether there will be some self-policed isolations as people get nervous and “sniffles in the office” is now an actual thing to be avoided.

I’d imagine not coming into work if you have a cold, for those that can anyway, will be a day working from home instead. Lots of folk will not like this. 🙂

trialtemptation
    Free Member

Spot on, thanks.

kimbers

Yeah the hospital admissions are remarkably steady of late, despite vaccinations its way higher than last summer, which i suppose is delta & the opening up

the football peak was impressive!

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions?time=2021-02-24..latest

somafunk

Indeed, they seem to be rising again in Scotland and that’s before the further relaxation of restrictions starting on Monday and a week before the schools go back.

Given the amount of tourists in this area since the English school holidays (kirkcudbright, Dumfries & Galloway) I’m not surprised we are now near the top of the COVID charts after languishing near the bottom for ages, our we town has been mobbed with utter **** idiots wandering about in big family groups and trudging through the shops, police have been in the town most days this week dealing with issues related to non mask wearing twunts attempting to assert their god given right to act as normal.

trialtemptation
    Free Member

So, manager just pulled me and a colleague into the office and asked me and said dude to rebook or 2nd vaccinations as there’s already people off on holiday and we run the risk of running short on staff if myself and said colleague end up feeling too unwell to come in, he lost his shit when I mentioned I felt like we should have been given a heads up to ask what the Union thought about it before this “chat”.

This attitude absolutely stinks to me, his words were “aren’t you bothered we might not be able to run at all if you’re both off?”, well not really when my health’s involved! Work is absolutely the most dangerous place for me to go, it’s really the only place I’m around non-family and nigh on everyone I know at work who’s caught Covid has done so at work.

Sorry, shit rant and I’m not sure what I’m expecting you lot to do about it…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

People like it when you say “this sounds like a ‘you’ problem rather than a ‘me’ problem”.

it is weird how companies think that people who are on salary should really view their job as anything other than a transaction.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Your boss sounds like a cock..

That’s very much his problem not yours..

Maybe point out he’ll be even more short staffed if you both spend 3 weeks off with covid..

ayjaydoubleyou

Also remind him that as of this coming Monday, double jabbed people won’t have to isolate as a close contact.

Assuming that you are fairly young and healthy (being on a bike forum, and being so late for your second jab) the chances that you will be too ill to work is going to be lower than you getting the dreaded T+T phone call.

Remember there is a definite selection bias to everyone moaning about being ill after their jab. The vast majority suffer few if any ill effects.

kelvin

Our 19 year old just got their second jab. A good end to the day.

Klunk
    Free Member

local shop has shut, old fella has tested positive.

MoreCashThanDash

Quite a few cafes round us have been closed over the last 3-4 weeks, mainly after staff have tested positive, rather than a T&T ping. There’s a lot of it about.

Viewing 40 posts - 32,281 through 32,320 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.