Viewing 40 posts - 30,121 through 30,160 (of 39,835 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Pieface

Or just turn up and say you booked online, they’ll probably just let you in based on what was happening when I went for mine, however there does seem to be huge regional variations in Vaccines. We seem to be well ahead of the curve here in South Yorkshire, but other regions still way behind us.

kelvin

I can use the booking website but don’t want to hit ‘cancel’ oh the existing before I can see slots earlier

Same here. So I’m going to use the ‘turn up’ service, and then cancel once I’ve had my jab. Where are you based?

goldfish24

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57467051
    This is interesting. My two kids (18) have just had a ‘summer cold’ like this.

This is huge. I’ve just read similar on the guardian. Me and my two year old have had a sore throat and snot for ten days now. The symptoms never fitted Covid, so the gov website dissuaded us from ordering a pcr test. I’ve taken a lateral flow with negative result, but we all know that doesn’t mean much. We probably got it off our friends who had similar symptoms in the toddler and mum. Numerous colleagues have similar cold symptoms. But we’ve all been basically fine. Either; it’s just a cold. Or we’ve got the delta variant, in which case it seems IME cases for delta are massively unreported and both transmissibility and severe case rate is therefore overreported. The delta variant could be Covid evolving into a less deadly, just plain ordinary cold. But I’m no virologist.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I had great intentions of one last road bike ride after work today, before getting my second jab on the way home tomorrow, just in case this jab also hits me for six…

But of all days, I got an extremely rare puncture on the way home today in the crazy heat, then unusually failed to fix it first time and so walked two miles home.

Lost track of time, all of a sudden it was time for Boris to bumble his way through another briefing, where at least he made the right call and postponed relaxations before over promising it would relax in 4 weeks max.

Late dinner, relax a bit, then sort puncture out ready for morning and it’s practically bed time for me. 🙁

So hope I don’t get bad reaction this time, I need this upcoming break to dig myself out of a depression hole I’ve felt swallowing me up for at least a month, being able to cycle will help enormously.

theotherjonv

So in other words, we are ****. Vaccination is in place for all vulnerable groups now, but the transmission rate of the Indian variant is much higher so we are currently in the same position we were in March 2020 effectively.

In a sense yes.

There’s a virus circulating, it’s infecting ever increasing numbers of people, and we don’t know exactly how serious it is to the people it infects, and whether the NHS has the capacity to cope.

In a sense no.

Because we know how this could go, we are in a form of lockdown that we have a modicum of control over, and we know that lockdowns can control transmission.

So we can use everything we learned, the hundreds of thousands of lives lost, the experience of our friends and neighbours across the world. And use the advantage of the current lockdown to not allow things to get even worse before we find out the answer to how serious this could be.

Go back and start at page one to see what the cost can be if you bodge it while working out what to do.
    (and some of those original posts don’t read very well, tbf)

paul0
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57467051
    This is interesting. My two kids (18) have just had a ‘summer cold’ like this.

This is huge. I’ve just read similar on the guardian. Me and my two year old have had a sore throat and snot for ten days now. The symptoms never fitted Covid, so the gov website dissuaded us from ordering a pcr test. I’ve taken a lateral flow with negative result, but we all know that doesn’t mean much.

Exactly the same here, I thought it was hay fever at first. Mostly likely it was just a normal cold but that article did make me wonder. Too late now anyway.

Poopscoop

Down here in Kent my 23 year old son had been notified that his first jab is going to be this Friday.👍

Interesting news on the variants new possible symptoms. Definitely something the population needs to know.

neilnevill
    Free Member

i’m london based,se19. i understand weare a little behind some/most areas

martinhutch

The delta variant could be Covid evolving into a less deadly, just plain ordinary cold.

I’ve seen nothing to fully explain the difference in symptoms, but they are still seeing plenty of cases of more severe ‘covid-like’ respiratory symptoms. And obviously this variant caused a lot of mortality in India and elsewhere with ‘traditional’ features such as cough/respiratory distress/high fever.

I’d like to hope this is a step along the road to maximum transmissibility at the cost of disease severity, but it may be wishful thinking. The initial ‘runny nose isn’t Covid’ messaging about earlier variants was never true, there were lots of people testing positive in the absence of dry cough/fever etc, but with simple cold-like symptoms instead.

This surge in relatively trivial symptoms could simply be the result of a shift in the average age of the population it is spreading in most effectively, which seems to be children/young adults.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If anyone is wondering how effective the vaccine is. In Wales where we’re a little ahead of England on vaccine roll out, with broadly the same restrictions, we’ve got the lowest number of people being treated for Covid since the start of the pandemic.

Also the death rate, which seemed to take an age to fall, is pretty much zero.

You never know, it might actually prove to be wise to lift final restrictions in 4 weeks

stumpyjon

I’ve given up trying to second guess all this. I’ve had my first jab, I’ll bring my second forward when I hit 8 weeks. I’ve lost a stone and a half since Christmas, Covid was what spurred me into action, I’ll continue being careful, wash my hands and wear a mask if required. Beyond that, whatever, the messaging is all so screwed up no one has any idea.

Meanwhile thousands die every month from all sorts of needless causes which we could do something about but chose not to.

Flaperon

And obviously this variant caused a lot of mortality in India and elsewhere with ‘traditional’ features such as cough/respiratory distress/high fever.

You could caveat the India bit with the fact that air quality in any major city is so appalling that any respiratory disease would likely have serious consequences.

Two million people die from air pollution in India each year.

kelvin

Meanwhile thousands die every month from all sorts of needless causes which we could do something about but chose not to.

We “do something” towards reducing deaths from just about every cause. Maybe not enough in some cases, but I can’t think of anything where we don’t do something to try and reduce deaths. Workplace safety regulations, healthily living campaigns, smoking reduction laws and schemes, speed cameras and traffic calming measures, clean water laws, road charging in cities to reduce pollution, the very NHS itself… so many areas where we have ongoing laws, restrictions and government funded measures in place to try and prevent early deaths and avoidable ill health. Many areas we could do more in, but also many areas we are increasingly doing more in all the time.

zippykona

Regarding the new variant symptoms, is this related …

The Man Flu Discussion Thread.

I caught my cold 2 months after my first jab.

timmys

Re. 2nd jab being brought forward to 8 weeks for over 40’s. There doesn’t seem to be a specific process in the NHS booking system system, but after talking to others who had done it I went ahead and cancelled my current 12 wk appt and then it showed me available slots from my 8 weeks date which I was able to book.

kelvin

kelvin

A Twitter thread that’s worth reading as a useful precaution against our leaders getting away with rewriting very recent history…

martinhutch

If anyone is wondering how effective the vaccine is. In Wales where we’re a little ahead of England on vaccine roll out, with broadly the same restrictions, we’ve got the lowest number of people being treated for Covid since the start of the pandemic.

Our district (Craven) is bordered by Pendle, West Yorkshire etc which all have high rates of the new variant. We’ve been waiting for it to spill over as it has done in previous waves, as there is plenty of movement between the two districts between towns such as Barnoldswick and Skipton. We’ve had a few cases pop up in town, but nothing substantial yet.

The only difference this time is that we have significantly higher vaccination here – something like 65% double vaccinated, perhaps as low as 18% completely unvaccinated. In Pendle, approx 45% have had both.

We’ll wait and see if schools going back allows the virus to break through, but my hope is that there is a tipping point somewhere around this mark which breaks the transmission chain, even for this variant.

MoreCashThanDash

Well said, Simon Hoare MP.

There’s a slippery slope on state controlled media, and government messaging has been a nightmare in itself, but I hope any inquiry into the pandemic looks at media messaging. Clickbait headlines have overshadowed the actual important details and made the awful government messaging even worse.

21st June was always “the earliest date” to remove restrictions, not “Freedom Day”. Even BBC correspondents have struggled to get that point across on the back of the headline the editors lead the story with.

kelvin

The BBC has been much too keen to report on what the papers are saying, and co-opting/spreading their “take” on the news, and allowing the papers to shape the story.

kelvin

Over 18s already being jabbed here (Calderdale) and surrounding areas.

tpbiker
    Free Member

What do you think the deal will be with booster jabs?

Lots of talk of starting in autumn for the oldies, however it’s seems less likely that the under 50s will get one, although that’s not been confirmed.

I’m struggling to see how there can be a justification not to open up now until all the younger folks have had a jab, if we are subsequently going to let that population’s immunity levels lapse in 12 months. Surely you are just delaying the exact issue we are trying to avoid now, ie massive spread amongst the unvaccinated.

kelvin

if we are subsequently going to let that population’s immunity levels lapse in 12 months

We don’t know if that is what will happen. Which is one of the reasons the “plan” for boosters is currently still so vague. We don’t even know what vaccines we’ll be using for boosters (although there’s already enough of the current ones ordered to have a booster shot for every single person in the UK). Lots of talk of it just being the at risk getting the current Moderna vaccine, this Autumn, to top up the AZ jabs given early on in the vaccination rollout… but that doesn’t mean that is all that will happen. Adaptability, and committing to buy vaccines that might not be needed, or might not even get to production, is still the name of the game (and the government should be applauded for getting that right). We’re learning about the virus all the time, and it can change, so we can’t insist on “knowing” all the steps we will be taking over the next 12 months, we can only ask for the government to be prepared, and, er, “stay alert”.

airvent
    Free Member

Just booked my two jabs and I couldn’t believe how many free appointments there were, does this suggest low uptake or a sudden increased in availability?

woody2000

I’ve just brought my 2nd forward from 8th July to this Thursday. 8th July was the earliest slot I could get when I booked initially (West yorks).  Cancelled and rebooked without an issue.

MoreCashThanDash

The BBC has been much too keen to report on what the papers are saying, and co-opting/spreading their “take” on the news, and allowing the papers to shape the story.

Proper race to the bottom

Del

@woody2000 was that through the main NHS vaccine booking system or GP?

tpbiker
    Free Member

We don’t know if that is what will happen

Agreed. I’d like to think they will be taking a cautious approach however, which would be to give everyone a booster within 12 months of the 2nd jab at latest

Got my second one on Thursday which I’m looking forward to. Apparently it takes a couple of weeks to get maximum protection so by July I will be a protected as I’ll ever be.. which is nice!

woody2000

Through the NHS booking system @Del

stcolin
    Free Member

I have a bet with a friend that Parkrun would not happen in 2021. I think it’s a solid £20 bet. I’ve already spent it.

frankconway

I have a bet with a friend that Parkrun would not happen in 2021. I think it’s a solid £20 bet. I’ve already spent it.

Oops.

This from parkrun UK…https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/06/14/statement-in-response-to-roadmap-announcement/

Unless landowners withdraw their permission and step 4 is delayed until 2022, you’ve lost that bet.

Del

Thanks Woody 👍

stcolin
    Free Member

you’ve lost that bet.

Well aware of that statement. A month or so ago we were on track for 21st. Now we aren’t due to a variant. And they appear every few months. So, I’m sure another one will be along soon that causes enough concern to put a hold on our ‘freedoms’.

binners

Meanwhile, in the strange and twisted world of the anti-vax, anti-lockdown mob….

theotherjonv

I’d like to think they will be taking a cautious approach however, which would be to give everyone a booster within 12 months of the 2nd jab at latest

Another unknown is whether exposure the the virus in the wild will build ongoing immunity that way doing the booster’s job for it; it seems highly likely (but not certain, yet) that the vaccines all protect to a degree against falling badly ill, but don’t necessarily protect against infection itself. Which I guess is glaring obvious when you think about it, the point is that we train the immune response so it’s ready for the real thing. It enables you to mount a swift effective response to infection, it doesn’t wrap you in a virus impervious cocoon.

Then counter to that are mutations – so far the vaxes all seem to be somewhat effective against new variants but the chance of escape is there. But would it escape to a less harmful variant, as some histroical virologists say is the general direction of travel…..

It’s a real life page turner, starring Chris Whitty as Chris Whitty.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s a real life page turner, starring Chris Whitty as Chris Whitty.

And Boris Johnson as Mr Silly

kelvin

Starring Harry Hill as (puppeteer and voice of) Chris Whitty… I hope.

martinhutch

Meanwhile, in the strange and twisted world of the anti-vax, anti-lockdown mob….

The DM ‘best rated’ comments on this make me want to weep. This is what happens when the government and the likes of the Mail whip up a hysterical mob of morons with populist anti-science bullshit.

kelvin

They’re not “anti-science”… they’ve just found their “own” science on the internet. You should do some more research of your own. Youtube has some very interesting clips that you won’t see on the mainstream media.

Viewing 40 posts - 30,121 through 30,160 (of 39,835 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.