Viewing 40 posts - 26,641 through 26,680 (of 28,394 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Premier Icon IdleJon

From the guardian:

Brazil variant can evade 25% to 61% of protection got after original Covid infection, research suggests

What exactly do they mean by this and what are the implications?

It means that there’s at least one journalist working for the Guardian who needs some Eng Lang revision.

Premier Icon zippykona

On a serious note, how much notice do you need to do this, and how much notice will we get given if the dates change? Whats the wasted stock or lost trading cost for you if the dates did change?

Posted 26 minutes ago

Stock wise we really didn’t buy a lot of purely Christmas stuff and what we have we will put away for next year. Even if we had ordered it ,it probably wouldn’t have turned up.
    It’s “lady stuff “that needs sorting as obviously ” that gift bag and tissue won’t sell this time of year”. I just look blankly on and do as I’m told. There’s summer birthday cards and winter birthday cards.Then winter glass ware and stuff you’d use outside.So much that most of STW including me wouldn’t understand. The ladies love swapping it all over ,we’ve been here for 27 years ,so I guess Mrs Zip knows what she is doing.
    Even though we are shut the windows need to reflect mother’s Day with a hint of Easter, then full on Easter ,then full on new stuff for reopening.

Premier Icon GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

From the guardian:

Brazil variant can evade 25% to 61% of protection got after original Covid infection, research suggests

What exactly do they mean by this and what are the implications?

A better description from Imperial College London

The researchers found that the new P.1 lineage is growing rapidly in Brazil, is likely more transmissible than other variants, and may have the ability to evade protective immunity. The researchers estimate that the P.1 VOC is between 1.4–2.2 times more transmissible than non-VOC lineages. In addition, they estimate that the P.1 VOC evades 25-61% of protective immunity arising from infection with previously circulating variants. The exact trade-off between increased transmissibility and evading immunity is not currently known.

Premier Icon GRAEMEJONES

I’ve just had a letter asking me to book an appointment for my jab. Entered all my details and the nearest one the NHS website came up with was 10 miles away!

My GP surgery is only 2 miles away, Hospital is just over 2 and there are two more vaccination centres in less than 2 miles, one of which I can walk to in 15 minutes!

so, as per the letter I shall try again later in the week for a closer one. 🙄

Premier Icon kelvin

We
    are
    not
    worthy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/02/dolly-parton-vaccine-moderna/

[ I’m not going to quote from that article … read it all, or watch the video. I’m off to build a shrine to Dolly now … ]

Premier Icon nickc

the nearest one the NHS website came up with was 10 miles away!

Depending where the letter came from, decides on where you’re sent for a vaccine. It’s not perfect, and I’ve seen your circumstances in other areas. It may be worth calling your GP and asking if you can have the jab more locally.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Free Member

The Vanderbilt group Dolly Parton donated to identified and isolated the two monoclonal antibodies currently in testing by AZ. She’s done more than most. Great song too. I’ll get my wig out.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

I’ll get my wig out.

After this latest lockdown, I have the moobs!

She has always done a lot of good work with her money, however much we may wonder at her success.

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

There seems to be 2 completely separate booking processes – either the GP phones you for an appt at the local GP led clinic – or you get a letter from the national system to book online at one of the big sites.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

or you get a letter from the national system to book online at one of the big sites.

I got the letter yesterday, and was able to book first and second shots – first next Monday, then 27th May. Not at my nearest vaccination centre, as that is used for people contacted by their GP, but at one a few miles further away. Wondering if I’ll confuse them by cycling there.

Premier Icon stcolin
    Free Member

The Vanderbilt group Dolly Parton donated to identified and isolated the two monoclonal antibodies currently in testing by AZ

I know a few peoples heads that will explode at that sentence. Couple of NI comedians do a conspiracy theory podcast and the Vanderbilts are regularly discussed.

Go on Dolly!

Premier Icon GRAEMEJONES

Just tried phoning the 119 line and spoke to a very helpful lady, managed to get one that’s less than a 20 minute drive away for 13th of this month. Happy Days! 👌🏻☺️

Premier Icon jam-bo

that’s less than a 20 minute drive away

so 10 miles then? 😉

Premier Icon GRAEMEJONES

Ha, slightly less! Winsford instead of a trip into darkest S-O-T  👍🏻

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Free Member

GRAEMEJONES -Glad you’re sorted.
    I also received an invitation yesterday. When I tried to book online it also was sending me miles away, when my nearest centre is a couple of miles (I can cycle to it easily), where all my neighbours have gone. However I tried your advice and the 119 chap can’t book me in as it’s so busy. He said try again tomorrow.

nickc – Our Dr surgery do not want people phoning them about this, as they are overwhelmed atm, which is understandable.

Premier Icon docrobster
    Free Member

Yes there are 2 different booking systems and 2 different supply chains of vaccine. We’ve had dribs and drabs in primary care for a few weeks but more coming next week and the week after.
    Most of my patients don’t want to travel to the mass vaccination centre which is 20 minutes drive, or any of the “local hubs” which are also 20 minutes drive. It may take longer before they get it from the practice but most are willing to wait.
    Interesting stat I picked up last week regarding where the vaccines were being given. In the PCN which our practice is a member of, which covers 240000 population, as of last week 60000 first doses had been given, 52000 of these in primary care, 8000 at mass vaccination sites or hospitals. I imagined it would have been more at the mass sites but here in South Yorkshire it was a while before our big one opened so maybe different in the rest of the country.
    I was led to believe that more of the younger fitter population would be invited to the mass vaccination sites and they would let us do the housebound, more unwell/less able to travel etc. Will be interested to see if the ratio changes.

Premier Icon GRAEMEJONES

@Bunnyhop, the lady I did my booking with said later on at night after 10pm is a good time to ring because it sometimes brings up spaces due to people not turning up later that day .

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

DocR – my mass vacc site in Sussex has been standing down staff for the last 2 weeks due lack of customers. It is on Brighton seafront with no parking.

I can’t help feel there has been a big miscalculation with the psyche of the public. People want to stay local, or a small friendly site. Give them an option they will exercise it. To use all our capacity we need to actually tell people where they need to go.

Premier Icon cheers_drive

I had my first jab earlier today. Got my text invite last Friday, was such a slick process from start to finish. I’m not easily impressed but I can’t find a fault, it was so well oiled and they were processing us so quickly.
    Our is GP run. The 2 local practices teamed up to run ours.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Free Member

Dan – I understand why people prefer to wait, they are used to convenience, having too much choice and don’t realise how much work has gone into sorting this vaccination process out, in such a short space of time. Having said this I’m sure some older people can only get to a local centre.
    I’m now booked in after getting my invitation and yes its 28 minutes away.:o)

Premier Icon Del

Can’t say I’m all that surprised that a vaccination centre without parkng isn’t all that much in demand as people are probably scared to use public transport to get there.

Quibbling over an extra few minutes in the car to get the life saving and normal life restoring vaccine developed and tested at breakneck speed and delivered completely free when they even send you a letter to tell you to come and get it? Err, ok.

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

Out of the 50 ish vaccination sites in Sussex, the only site we SJA vaccinators are allowed to work at is The Brighton Centre. With the lack of patients, all SJA shifts have been cancelled there since 18 Feb, and will be for at least another week. So all volunteer vaccinators in Sussex are unused TFN.

Premier Icon gray

I’d happily travel 100 miles to get mine when it’s my turn. Actually probably way more than that.

Premier Icon BillMC

I chose to drive 15 miles for a jab. My only worry was that I was so elated to be getting it I’d prang the car. Is it just the fuzzy side-effects or is ‘cautious but irreversible’ a bit of a logical impossibility?

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

I’d happily travel 100 miles to get mine when it’s my turn. Actually probably way more than that.

me too.
    Obviosuly I’m in the priviledged position of owning a car and being in good health.

If going to not-my-nearest centre gets the population done faster, and maybe simplifies the logistics of those who cannot travel so easily, then I’m all for it.

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot

Dan – I understand why people prefer to wait, they are used to convenience, having too much choice and don’t realise how much work has gone into sorting this vaccination process out, in such a short space of time.

Or they’ve been told for a year now to stay local, not travel unless absolutely necessary, keep away from crowds. And now they are told to travel past a local centre to a more crowded centre. I’d happily travel but it’s hard to turn the juggernaut that is a population.

Premier Icon Murray

Or like my mum (before we finally persuaded her to stop driving) didn’t feel safe driving to anywhere except her local Tesco (she wasn’t really safe).

10 or 15 miles to a hospital appointment meant me or my brother taking a day of work, driving 100 miles to her and taking her there. I’d be happy to do that if necessary for the vaccination but as she’s in a care home now it’s not necessary, she’s already been done.

Premier Icon BillMC

It’s a bit mad. I had to register inside a tent (5-6 other people in there), drive to the outskirts of Leicester. Twice a week I drive past Thurmaston. I’ve never seen that car park less than about half to two-thirds full, always a queue at the drive through bit of McDonald’s even at 11am on a Sunday. If ever there was a humane case for a neutron bomb. I felt like Dangerman on steroids driving to Oadby.

Premier Icon fathomer

@BillMC I’m Thurmaston born and bred unfortunately and my local office is about half a mile from said McDonalds.

Where did you have to go for your vaccination, hoping I might get my turn in the next few months.

Premier Icon BillMC

fathom: I got my letter and went online and was given the option of go anywhere or wait for one via the GP (probably at Oakham but not available at that time). Travelling was the only option (to Severn pharmacy). Just received an email booking me in in May for No 2, again though that can be changed.
    Make sure you confirm, a guy in front of me in the queue had been turned away a few days before for not having pressed the button (and his wife was a GP).
    PS not entirely serious re Thurmaston

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Free Member

I had the letter offering me a chance to book somewhere or wait for my GP to get in touch. If the weather was good then I would have booked online and cycled the 30mile roundtrip to Oxford but it was mid Feb and freezing. Got the GP’s text on Monday offering a jab and had it on Tuesday. Brilliant and profession service from the folks.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

I understand why people prefer to wait, they are used to convenience, having too much choice and don’t realise how much work has gone into sorting this vaccination process out, in such a short space of time. Having said this I’m sure some older people can only get to a local centre.

Had this battle with my parents. Dad was adamant he would wait for the local surgery to do his despite getting an invite for the main centre 20 miles away 3 weeks before the surgery was even starting their programme that is reserved for non-mobile patients. Took a lot of persuading that it was better for me to drive him and get the vaccine early, plus it would free up space for the people who have no other option of waiting for the surgery appointments.

Personally I’ll go wherever gets me the injection soonest.

Premier Icon fathomer

BillMC my dad lives your way and guessing at 64 he’ll have been contacted by now, though I’ve not spoke to him for a couple of weeks. And thanks for the tip, sounds like old person and technology maybe 🙂

Like others have said, I’ll drive as far as needed to get mine, I just want it in mine and the Mrs arm asap. What’s slightly annoying is I imagine she’ll get hers a few weeks before me, she’s 41, I’m 39. It’d make more sense that we go together.

Re Thurmaston, it’s a bit of a hole these days and I don’t live there anymore. Hopefully by the autumn we’ll be out of Leicestershire completely.

Premier Icon iainc

had the AstraZeneca jab last night, all very smooth process at local vaccination centre.

Slightly sore left upper arm today and a pounding headache that woke me around 5am, eased off well now after some paracetamol first thing. If that is the extent of the side effects I’m well chuffed, though realise its only 20 hrs since I had it..

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

That sounds about normal – drink plenty of water too 👍

Premier Icon TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I felt lethargic and achy for about 12-36 hours after the vaccination.

Premier Icon nickingsley

From BBC live updates

Posted at 15:11

UK ‘country most likely to experience new coronavirus variant’

Health minister Lord Bethell says the UK is the country most likely to suffer a new variant of the coronavirus.

“If there’s one place in the world where a mutant variation is likely to happen, it’ll be an area where you have a high infection rate and a large amount of suppression of the virus by either a lockdown or a vaccine programme – and if you look around the world, that country is most likely to be Britain,” he told the House of Lords.

“And we must be on the balls of our feet to be prepared for unhelpful news on that front.”

He was responding to a question from Labour’s Prof Lord Winston, who said there was likely to be an inevitable risk of dangerous new variants to which we have no defence.

Could someone kindly explain why, despite, the speed of the vaccine rollout and the pretty strict lockdown (well for those who follow it), we are at the highest risk from “dangerous new variants”.

I hadn’t appreciated our current state of infection is considered high, though I recognise there are sigificant regional variations.

Thank you

Premier Icon kelvin

I hadn’t appreciated our current state of infection is considered high

But it is. It is much lower than it was. But it is still high.

And we’re open to people returning to the UK and then going about their business with just a nod and wink that they’ll self isolate, after travelling by any means they want from the airport to home.

Premier Icon nickingsley

But why is

and a large amount of suppression of the virus by either a lockdown or a vaccine programme

contributing to this particular risk?

I had thought we were doing pretty well but this could be construed as saying why bother because Covid19 will always find a way unless you have the absolute rigidity of the NZ approach.

Viewing 40 posts - 26,641 through 26,680 (of 28,394 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.