• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 26,561 through 26,600 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • kelvin

Sorry, that’s what I meant.

Everybody knows that.

There is no one that thinks that no teachers at all are being vaccinated. There are many people that think that teachers and other public facing staff should take priority over workers of the same age who can work without contact with many people. Jon is just very excitable about his straw man proposition.

theotherjonv

forget it. Can’t be arsed.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

How about we vaccinate teachers other than the private school ones, since they’re scum?

And supermarket folks other than the Waitrose ones….?

Simon

Seems that some parts of country are further down the list than others.
    I’m in West Yorks, my 50 year old other half (just happens to be a primary teacher), and two of my colleagues both with asthma (one mid 40s the other only early twenties) were vaccinated today.

kimbers

Good article here about vaccines & vaccine inequality

https://www.vox.com/22285256/covid-19-vaccine-predictions

AZs uptake hesitancy stems as much from the early problems with their trials as anything

Though Tbf everyone was in a rush at the time & sanofi/GSK trial was messed up worse

& macron was obviously being a dick

Also touches on variants which are a worry, a large chuck of the world went be vaccinated for a year or more, Eastern Europe is seeing a big wave, a pool for new mutations to arise and then what happens here now that virus is under selection pressure from the vaccine?

What happens with the flu next season after we’ve surpressed it this year with masks & distancing?
    Likewise my youngest kids haven’t had chicken pox or measeles yet, nor the regular series of colds & tummy bugs their older brothers got in the first year of school?

God I’m a misery guts

Tom-B
    Free Member

I work at Waitrose! Should I feel better about my position than the plebs at Tesco etc? 😂

In all seriousness, I currently work weekends at Waitrose, and in a couple of weeks will be returning to school to teach guitar face to face, rather than online. I’m only 34, but do feel fairly pissed off that middle aged poshos earning 5 times per year what I do, working at home, will get vaccinated before I do.

Ah well. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back playing gigs at some point soon, at which point I wont really care one way or the other.

Gribs

What happens with the flu next season after we’ve surpressed it this year with masks & distancing?
    Likewise my youngest kids haven’t had chicken pox or measeles yet, nor the regular series of colds & tummy bugs their older brothers got in the first year of school?

Surely they’ve been vaccinated for Measles? As for Flu deaths a large number will have died from Covid this year instead. I suspect wide scale mask usage will continue as there seems to be very little suggestion of lifting the legal compulsion anytime soon and people seem to have got used to it.

theotherjonv

Tom B:

I understand that but the vaccines are being given to those who it is felt are most at risk from the virus rather than most at risk of catching it.

It’s a risk assessment thing, we do it at work all the time. Likelihood of happening x how bad is the impact if it does. L x I

In this case it’s felt that increased likelihood that you as a 34 year old will get it is outweighed by the fact it probably won’t be that serious if you do.

vs

relatively unlikely to get it but bad consequences if you do.

I fully understand and agree that there should be exceptions – my wife works in a school herself, my daughter does two evenings a week on tills in the supermarket. But I can’t completely argue with the general philosophy of those with the highest overall risk L x I get first dibs.

(I know it’s not just the impact, but also the spreading risk – increases L for others that they live with but because the at risk are being vaccinated quickly, it’s lowering I)

It’s not black and white and while I think I understand why this approach, I can understand but still disagree.

kimbers

Surely they’ve been vaccinated for Measles

Ah yes they have, my eldest caught it at nursery when he was younger

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah I totally get that @theotherjonv ….not read the last few pages, I guess that it kicked off again?!

Just to add a tiny anecdote (obviously a statistical outlier) my store was forced to close in January due to a Covid outbreak. Over 30% of staff tested positive. The person hit hardest was a late 20’s guy. He ended up in hospital. He did his first shift back last Saturday and by the end of it was a literal example of the phrase’white as a ghost’…..really sobering, I’ve not known him long but I think he’s a mtber. Top bloke from what I can tell.

ElShalimo

Middle aged poshos….Hmmmm

theotherjonv

No, not really – I think ambiguous language is being used in one area and someone else seems to have taken exception. It’s an emotive topic, people get emotional. Daft really, over a small point.

Sadly – your workmate is the outlier, the 0.1% or whatever the number is for a typical late 20’s person. Terrible phrase but ‘collateral damage’ and I don’t mean that in any way lightly. The stats are massively in his favour but someone has to be that 0.1%. Policy needs to cover the majority number, if it can’t cover everyone.

tpbiker
    Free Member

middle aged poshos

You realise you don’t need to be posh to have a decent job yeah?

But console yourself with the fact that the ONS recently released stats on occupations most likely to be infected by covid. Shop workers were pretty far down the list.

vazaha

If i were a betting man, i’d lay down some considerable on two things that will also become endemic –

Many will continue to wear masks

Many will insist on some distance

and this will become part of our fabled ‘new normal’. And it will be by choice.

And then seasonal Influenza hospitalizations will decrease massively, and we’ll wonder why we didn’t do something so obviously easy sooner.

Mugboo

My friends missus is a teacher in Keighley and through her school has been contacted by a GP practice in Bradford who are fitting the teachers in before they go back in any available spaces.

Same for my wife as a police officer. Another hub is fitting them in to fill up spaces. This is only happening because one of her collegues took it upon herself to sort it out as the office has lots of retired officers working in it, so a has a much older demographic.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m grateful MrsMC (approaching 50 but in denial) got her first jab 3 weeks ago, as a frontline social worker. Their risk level was relatively high on the much criticised BBC Reality Check report, but she’s been in and out of client’s houses throughout the pandemic with just a mask and hand sanitiser, and quite a lot of clientville are a bit lax with the guidelines.

I know a lot of less deserving council staff also got the jab at the same time. No doubt a lot of deserving ones missed out.

Murray

Good balanced video (without his normal jokes) from Dr Rohin Francis about COVID and schools. The description below the video links to the papers he refers to.

joepud
    Free Member

Posi covid news! Covid cases falling globally. im hyped had 2 coffees and its sunny! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-cases-falling-globally-big-question/

theotherjonv

Good video that. It challenges some of the thinking of the actual risk faced by teachers (and I STILL think they should be prioritised anyway) so may not be popular. Also alludes (well TBF mentions that he isn’t going to go there) that there are some that ‘believe’ that the refusal to mass vaccinate all teachers  is some sort of conspiracy. But I’d better not go there because I get over excitable.

Murray

Thanks theotherjonv – at the end Rohin says he’s also in favour of vaccination of teachers

nickc

But console yourself with the fact that the ONS recently released stats on occupations most likely to be infected by covid. Shop workers were pretty far down the list.

As are teachers…

Chart showing Covid occupational risks for men

tpbiker
    Free Member

That’s not the same info as was released 4 days ago..teachers are 4th.

Ons

Either way, shop workers don’t appear on either list.

kelvin

That’s not the same info as was released 4 days ago..teachers are 4th.

That ONS data groups teachers and university teaching staff together… despite the fact that uni staff have in the main not been with their students or each other over the period covered (this academic year) so will be pulling the average down.

Secondary school and sixth form teachers should have been vaccinated before their schools are filled up again. Primary school teachers should also be a priority, once all the over 60s and at risk categories have been covered. As should the police, prison guards etc who don’t have control over who they have to deal with at close contact indoors.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The ONS data must have some baseline for what is actually open. I don’t believe that on Monday 8 March the manager of a (Closed) restaurant will be at greater risk than a teacher (in an Open school).

The actions that we take as a society actively change the relative risk for everyone.

kelvin

Restaurants were open for the first few months of the ONS period, and I can absolutely believe that during that time the people working in them were much more at risk of being part of the chain of transmission than just about anyone else. Keeping them closed for now is a depressing necessity. But, again, as the government is prioritising what we reopen, and who should be back in public facing roles first… that should feed into which working age people are vaccinated first (behind the elderly and those otherwise identified as most likely to be hospitalised and/or die).

mefty
    Free Member

JCVI sticking with age based system for second phase, simplicity trumps all else.

kelvin

Yes, it’s simple. Vaccinating an IT professional with the option to work from home, rather than a secondary school teacher told to be in front of multiple groups of older teens indoors in winter, is most definitely “simple”.

theotherjonv

Yes, it’s simple. Vaccinating an IT professional with the option to work from home, rather than a secondary school teacher told to be in front of multiple groups of older teens indoors in winter, is most definitely “simple”.

I don’t disagree that teachers should be prioritised but it isn’t simple. You’re oversimplifying

“Vaccinating an IT professional who has the option to work from home but if they were to get infected have a significant likelihood of a serious outcome due to their age / underlying issues….

vs

“a secondary school teacher told to be in front of multiple groups of older teens……. but who if infected is highly unlikely to have a serious outcome

theotherjonv

whoops, double post

nickc

Thing is, if we’re vaccinating on health grounds, (age and vulnerability)  then the folk who’re mostly doing the work, the GP get to pick those people from our current records…If you start to do it on some thing like vocation (comparative exposure)…You’ll have to have people to prove to you what they do. The current system needs no further evidence. You get a text, you show up…

I don’t think it should be up to GPs and health workers to be the arbiters of who’s telling porkies to get an early vaccine.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Just seen the announcement..

I imagine alot of angry folks at moment..

jp-t853

It would be nice to pick out groups of people who should get the vaccine before others but I struggle to criticise much about the process. We are all so lucky that there is a vaccine and we are unbelievably luck that it is coming to us all so quickly. The vast majority of people at serious risk will have had some degree of vaccination by the end of March, I struggle to have words for how amazing that is.

somafunk

stcolin :What did I just read?

So a geophysical event caused by the sun is affecting iron levels in our blood leading to cellular changes within our bodies, something…..something iron and lightning as well as the mineral content of areas of the earth leading to peaks of cellular disruption in march and October is to blame.

Seems legit…… Im away to buy directional and cryogenically treated oxygen free copper speaker cables to insert up my arse and leave trailing on the ground behind me, sorta like those earthing straps you found on shoddy vauxhall viva’s back in the late 70’s.

I await my Nobel prize for services to humanity.

nickc

I imagine alot of angry folks at moment..

Most folk I speak with about when they’re getting a vaccine understand the underlying principles…And they want their granny and grandads to get it first. I’ve spoken with all sorts of folk, and none of them are angry. rather as jp-t853 points out, are just grateful there’s a vaccine and in due course they’ll get it.

kelvin

I don’t think it should be up to GPs and health workers to be the arbiters of who’s telling porkies to get an early vaccine.

Agreed. But as I said on the other page, it doesn’t have to be you. Vaccinating workers at institutions (be it schools, prisons, carehomes or whatever) doesn’t have to be done by GPs. Proving who works at those institutions is trivial when you involve their employers.

stcolin
    Free Member

Who would have thought this time last year that we would be getting angry about getting a vaccine.

The sun is out, spring is in the air.

ayjaydoubleyou

Thing is, if we’re vaccinating on health grounds, (age and vulnerability) then the folk who’re mostly doing the work, the GP get to pick those people from our current records…If you start to do it on some thing like vocation (comparative exposure)…You’ll have to have people to prove to you what they do. The current system needs no further evidence. You get a text, you show up…

cant disagree with this, just filling out “profession” when getting car insurance is complicated enough. I can imagine the complexities of doing so for everyone, immediately.

It seems (correct me if I’m wrong) that we are in an enviable position of having enough vaccines and the limiting factor at the moment is the staffing and administration of actually getting it into people?

kelvin

And they want their granny and grandads to get it first.

Everyone does. And that’s been happening. In all the areas I know about it’s done. Under 60s coming on board now… targeting the at risk of hospitalisation and/or death has been done, or is close to being done. Now it’s the rest of us, the priorities in “unlocking” and in vaccination role out can inform each other, and should. Those shouting “simplify” are suggesting that joined up government, policy and implementation is too much to ask for.

kelvin

Just seen the announcement..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56208674

Viewing 40 posts - 26,561 through 26,600 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.