• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 16,521 through 16,560 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • mudmuncher

Another large leap in cases today 6,178

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

amodicumofgnar

No one ‘really’ knows how dangerous Covid to the population as a whole, but obviously we know how dangerous it is on an individual level because it’s killed nearly 1m people.

That’s about the size of it. Watching Squire Swayne of New Forest West on the TV this morning he seemed to be of the opinion we should have just had a herd by infection blitz in the summer. As ever my view is the whole death or wellness is overly simplistic. There is much made of the economic, psychological and social damage of measures to disrupt transmission chains. There will be a lot economic, psychological and social damage cause by unchecked infection. I think we could assume that if infection is running rampant at some point people become very scared or super cautious and go into isolation themselves. Then we are at lots of dead or debilitated and severe economic shock.

In short no or low damage solution despite what the earnest excuse brigade seem to think.

monkeyboyjc

Another large leap in cases today 6,178

Daily deaths have doubled to 34 as well…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I suspect that what awaits us now is groundhog day as all the mistakes from February onwards are repeated in the same order

Don’t worry – the odds are on there being a whole host of new and exiting mistakes for us to watch being made, not just all the previous ones all over.

dannyh
    Free Member

How long until we run out of PPE again? I have ZERO faith that we have sensibly stockpiled for the winter.

There are plenty of thrusting, buccaneering new companies on the radio offering PPE for a price.

Where there’s money to be made….

Kryton57

So what’s this about?  48hrs and still no test for junior.  Yet my Mrs bumped into a friend of hers who’s an NhS manager.  She says most of the test sites down south are empty of people, and they’ve bags of tests ready to go.

Wtf?

kelvin

I suspect that what awaits us now is groundhog day as all the mistakes from February onwards are repeated in the same order

Worth repeating. We’ll still hear ‘unprecedented’ plenty of times, and the suggestion that no one warned of, or expected, this second spike. We should still avoid the worst of the damage and deaths though, because no matter what the donkeys in charge get wrong, the medical profession is now far more prepared for this, and more members of the public know not to wait for the government to act to do what is required of them at work, home and play.

frankconway

Kryton, regrettably there’s nothing unusual in that; I posted up there ^^^ about my experience of trying to book a test anywhere within a reasonable distance of Lincoln.
    Email your local MP to express your concern but don’t expect much by way of a response; I’m still waiting for my MP, a hospital consultant, or one of her staff to respond to me.

Kryton57

Whoop, got a test booked tomorrow midday for me and Jnr.   Although I’m not looking forward to it now, more for his schools/benefit.

An odd feeling though because if one of us tests positive, both kids are off school for two weeks and I’m not racing next weekend.

frankconway

Down the throat until you gag then wiggle around a bit; after that, waaay up your nose for a 10 count.

anagallis_arvensis

Can you guys settle a debate for me. Now 14 days from the contacts first symptoms would include 2nd. But it says isolate until 2nd to me that means out of jail on 2nd, go to work that day. Views?

As you have been identified as a contact of someone who has recently tested positive for COVID-19, you must now self-isolate as soon as possible and stay at home until 2nd of October. You must do this even if you do not have symptoms or you get tested and receive a negative result. This is because you may still be infectious with COVID-19. The link below contains more information.

Good luck Kryton, fingers crossed its negative. What race you doing?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well I’ve been out for a beer for the first **** time this year…. Got one I have no useful contribution to make. I hummed and hawed all day.. . Should I go? One mate, 11 months since I’d had a beer in a pub with mates (young family intervenes) it feels good. Maybe everyone should get a ration book of passes. You can have a small social once a month, hand your ticket in at the bar.

Right, back to lock down now… I can do this for a winter

Kryton57

Good luck Kryton, fingers crossed its negative. What race you doing?

Thanks.  Im confident it is negative, Jnr is much better today.  A Gorrick 3hr on Saturday.

joepud
    Free Member

Whoop, got a test booked tomorrow midday for me and Jnr.   Although I’m not looking forward to it now, more for his schools/benefit.

Its no biggie dude I have done it twice. Yes its a little uncomfortable but its all over in like a minute.

frankconway

From The Times on wednesday…

So much for following the science.

piemonster

It’ll be evidence from the nudge group, not evidence provided on whether it’ll affect transmission directly.

Nudge to further restrictions in preparation for further restrictions.

Rather than just being honest and trustworthy, which they don’t know how to do.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

And suddenly an app appears!

w00dster

Took my daughter for a Covid test on Tuesday, she’s asthmatic, was poorly last week and developed a cough over the weekend. Doctor recommended the test.
    We live in Bedfordshire, fairly rural but MK, Bedford and Northampton all reasonably close.
    I made the request online, offered at least 6 walk-in centres within 10 miles and 2 drive in centres, within 30. All same day appointments with plenty of options. Really easy to book, we opted for drive in 22 miles away. Upon arrival it was really well organised. We were there about 20 mins, got there about 15 mins before our appt and were seen straight away. She’s 11 so I had to do her test. No other cars came in for a test while we were there.
    Got her results back yesterday morning at 10am (negative). Her test was at 3pm the day before. I’m actually very impressed with the entire process.
    Other areas appear to be different. But I found organising and taking the test easier than trying to speak to the GP.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’ll be evidence from the nudge group, not evidence provided on whether it’ll affect transmission directly.

Nudge to further restrictions in preparation for further restrictions.

Rather than just being honest and trustworthy, which they don’t know how to do.

This.

These prats in ‘government’ know how ineptly they have been handling this, so they’ve resorted to giving the populace enough rope again. They are more concerned about the politics than the virus.

theotherjonv

I’ve got to say, I don’t get why the change to 10pm closing will have any effect at all. If you’re so inclined, you build up your drinking to reach maximum pissedness at closing time and adjusting that won’t change behaviour one iota, just the timing of it.

Yet it **** up food places, who now can’t do a 7pm and 9pm sitting, and of course when drinkers are still behaving entirely predictably gives this useless Gov someone to blame. Which of course will be proportionally the younger generation again.

kimbers

The 10pm thing is just indecision from.a weak PM

Wants to be seen to be doing something, doesn’t have the courage to shut pubs again

joepud
    Free Member

I’ve got to say, I don’t get why the change to 10pm closing will have any effect at all. If you’re so inclined, you build up your drinking to reach maximum pissedness at closing time and adjusting that won’t change behaviour one iota, just the timing of it.

Or people will just continue to drink like normal then go to their friends house for another few hours which is most likely. The majority of transmissions seems to be coming from people mixing in homes I dont get why England don’t follow Scotland and do that.

Also, we finally got a track and trace app… im sure it will be world beating!

thecaptain
    Free Member

“Evidence”

LOL

Anyone who believes 10pm closing will make the least bit of difference is out of their tiny mind. R is up around 1.3-1.6, means we need to cut our total contacts by at least a third, probably better to aim for half to suppress the virus, which was what Johnson explicitly stated was his aim.

(this is why the R number has some salience as opposed to just thinking of the doubling time)

hels
    Free Member

I am not sure this is the right thread – I did haver – but has anybody else noticed more Scottish politicians on the main news since UK Gov stopped BBC showing Ms Sturgeon’s briefings? Is this the law of unintended consequences? I have seen Mr Swinney and Ms Forbes on the main BBC news about the pandemic this week I am sure that is a new thing!

kentishman
    Free Member

Don’t get the 10pm too.
    If its about people being drunk why not just ban the sale of alcohol at 9.30 and then at 10 all alcohol must be removed from tables with food and soft drinks served as normal.

stretch…
    Free Member

Kryton, regrettably there’s nothing unusual in that; I posted up there ^^^ about my experience of trying to book a test anywhere within a reasonable distance of Lincoln.

@Frank
    – did they offer you a test at Humber Bridge? I pass there twice a day and there hasn’t been more than half a dozen cars at the test site since it opened (apart from staff cars of course) Must be loads of capacity there

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is this the law of unintended consequences?

Beeb always strives for balance tbf, even during brexit they had a load of utter retards on. It’s not always a good thing, but at this time, I think it is.

falkirk-mark

I must admit that the 10 p.m thing did completely baffle me (people would go to the pub earlier,go back to houses after shutting time) so the fact SAGE has said that it is nothing to do with them then suddenly it starts to make sense. (in that Bozo is making it up as he goes along)

rogermoore

The testing capacity limits aren’t about the test centres themselves, it’s about the capacity of the labs to process the tests completed from them and home testing. IIRC the health secretary said at the weekend we’re still at a limit of 250k per day.
    RM.

dannyh
    Free Member

The 10pm thing is just indecision from.a weak PM

Wants to be seen to be doing something, doesn’t have the courage to shut pubs again

Bluff, bluster and bullshit.

It is all he has, ever has had and ever will have.

Us proles are just along for the ride.

anagallis_arvensis

Got her results back yesterday morning at 10am (negative).

Great news and glad it went smoothly.

amodicumofgnar

Could it be they were advised a curfew might be needed from 22:00 and Team Boris has gone for a fun time alternative? Same as everyone else I can just see this resulting in more drinking at home before and after. Plus a rise in the unsanctioned events / raves / parties. Guess this winter is going to get the measure of our humanity.

anagallis_arvensis

you must now self-isolate as soon as possible and stay at home until 2nd of October

Any views on this am I free on 2nd or on 3rd because 14 days isolation means out on 3rd

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’d say it says you are free to go about your business as you wish on the 2nd

anagallis_arvensis

I’d say it says you are free to go about your business as you wish on the 2nd

Thats what I said, mrs anagallis disagrees

frankconway

@Stretch – no, nothing anywhere.

Kryton57

Its no biggie dude I have done it twice. Yes its a little uncomfortable but its all over in like a minute.

Yep, a few gag moments was the worst thing, the nasal bit I didn’t mind.  Junior though managed to puke up some   bile by jabbing it down his throat too much.

I found the whole biological warfare style experience worse on my anxiety than the test itself TBH.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Don’t get the 10pm too.

Who knows.

Maybe its the nudge unit at work – two weeks time, 9pm, two weeks after that, 6pm, leave hospitality venues open, but maybe not at peak drunk hours.

Maybe it was just made up in front of the cameras.

Maybe it was deemed to look good about doing something whilst not actually doing anything.

To me it just seems to have a flavour of fail about it.

anagallis_arvensis

So our world class test track and trace strike again.

Partner told people in house isolate for 14 days from symptoms, that means freedom for me on 3rd.

My email said

stay at home until 2nd of October

Partner just got text saying I stay at home until 14 from the test day which means freedom on 4th…….

**** shambles doesnt even cover it!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got to say, I don’t get why the change to 10pm closing will have any effect at all.

Purely anecdotal, but I’ve walked past our local spoons the last 2 nights and it’s been dead both nights, a quite incredible difference on the usual.

Its busy every night normally, and rammed thu onward.

Viewing 40 posts - 16,521 through 16,560 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.