• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Don’t they know its Brexit Day?

Assuming it’s the ones in York, you’re would they? You can’t hear big Ben up here.

jolmes
    Free Member

Think we voted primarily to remain in York. I think any Chinese national who falls ill now will be quarantined but whats the probability that its actually Wu-flu and not just a ill person. The article in the York Press just appeared to be clickbait without proof. It shot round work fast enough to change the conversation.

richmtb

So its clearly very bad, but until its starts spreading rapidly in a second country, I don’t think we need to worry about a global pandemic.

That could all change though.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

Bloody foreign diseases coming over here and taking our lives. Don’t they know its Brexit Day?

https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

“Viruses dont know borders” maybe we should ask the coronavirus to read the Brexit party manifesto

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The article in the York Press just appeared to be clickbait without proof.

It wasn’t just York press to be honest, it was national news, although these days most things on twitter are.

As for no proof the folk in white overalls are fairly conclusive proof it was suspected which was what was reported.

The chance of someone being ill with CV is fairly low but, given the York case was on the one on national news yesterday and being tested yesterday then today we have a confirmed case it’s not a huge jump – doesn’t mean it is mind but other possible cases yesterday were all negative.

That said the wuhan flight should have landed by now so it could be we’ve imported it on that.

piemonster

So, this post long haul holiday to a Pacific destination runny nose of mine….

jolmes
    Free Member

In terms of a conspiracy theory, just keeping to topic. Trump releases deadly virus created in US labs to weaken the Chinese economy…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2020-01-30/johns-hopkins-toner-says-china-is-too-late-coronavirus-is-out-of-control-video

Dr Eric Toner of John Hopkins, Coronavirus out of control…

Spreading person to person for a month before an outbreak was declared.

Upside is that there may be a large population of asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic individuals who have not been recognised.

scruff9252

“Dr Eric Toner of John Hopkins, Coronavirus out of control…”

Whilst Jon Hopkins wrote a great album “Immunity”, I’m not sure he is eligible for saying the wu-flu is outta control. That statement should come from the Chemical Bros.

martinhutch

Upside is that there may be a large population of asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic individuals who have not been recognised.

I’m hopeful that overall mortality will be much lower. It’s hard to know how much, if any, community surveillance the Chinese have done.

Whilst Jon Hopkins wrote a great album “Immunity”, I’m not sure he is eligible for saying the wu-flu is outta control. That statement should come from the Chemical Bros.

Or directly from the Flu Fighters

raybanwomble
    Free Member

On a brexity related note, don’t you just love it that the same people who bang on about rediscovering our “war time spirit” are the same ones going full NIMBY over the patients being bussed to the Wirral and demanding that we let our citizens potentially rot/starve in a foreign quarantine?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

“I’ve seen it all: bird flu, SARS, influenza A, swine fever and the rest. But the Wuhan pneumonia makes me feel extremely powerless,” he told Caixin. “Most of the past epidemics were controllable, but this time, I’m petrified.”

Professor Yi Guan is the Director of the State Key Laboratory of Emerging Infectious Diseases, The University of Hong Kong.

Whooo.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Had a quick look online.. surgeons masks are sold out everywhere except ebay and amazon…

Drac

I think Rayban bought them all.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Or directly from the Flu Fighters

I think this is a Wu-han Clan original

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I think Rsyban bought them all.

#disastercapitalism #pricegouger

😀

I haven’t bought any.

Because it’s not the disease you have to worry about, it’s people – has the **** walking dead taught you guys nothing? 😀 we riot over KFC fried chicken reserves running low.

stewartc
    Free Member

Medical staff in HK are threatening to go on strike now unless the government closes the border with china, its seems that even this simple task is beyond our leaders unless China says so. There were tensions against our current administration and China before, now I can see this getting worse when this blows over.
    All schools are now also closed till the 2nd March with teachers and pupils moving lessons online. I’ve just been told not to come in on Monday but to look to work from home for another week (I’m at a large American financial firm).
    On a brighter note, the trails are in great condition and theres hardly anyone around, no one wants to go out and use up precious masks.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Medical staff in HK are threatening to go on strike now unless the government closes the border with china, its seems that even this simple task is beyond our leaders unless China says so. There were tensions against our current administration and China before, now I can see this getting worse when this blows over.

You do realize HK isn’t British anymore, don’t you?

piemonster

Pretty sure he’s in Hong Kong

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks piemonster, sorry stewartc.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dr Eric Toner of Johns Hopkins, Coronavirus out of control…

stewartc
    Free Member

You do realize China isn’t British anymore, don’t you?

Yes, very much so, the last 8 months of protest have made that very much apparent.

dazh

The news channels have got live coverage of the arrival of the evacuees plane. They’re clearly very excited about the prospect of the poor sods being frogmarched into buses by people in hazmat suits. Is it just me or does all this resemble the boy with his finger in the dam? Seems to me the potential harm from the panic and hysteria this will create is greater than that from the virus?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Jam bo – thanks, that was **** brilliant – especially towards the end.

jam-bo

starbucks is closed. starbucks is never closed!!!

CountZero

Valid points – I might have tied myself in knots a bit – but I reiterate that the estimated mortality rate is 15 times higher than seasonal flu in the US.

In the US, so far this season, 19 million people have been diagnosed with flu, and there have been 10,000 fatalities.

chewkw
    Free Member

Today I was interviewed by two girls about coronavirus 😀
    They asked me if I was concerned and whether it feels discriminatory …

I told them I was concerned but yet I didn’t want to wear protective clothing to work.

Told them the virus was spreading fast as the logistic was there during Chinese New Year period.

Oh ya they also asked me if I was concerned if someone were cough in a lift while I was in, my answer was that regardless of whether there was virus or not I would be concerned. 😬

jamesoz

Just been emailed a contracters self assessment form for Coronavirus I have to fill in before going to site next month (UK).

Basically:-
    1 Have you been to China?
    2 Are you ill having been to China?
    3 Have you been in contact with anybody who is ill in China?

v8ninety

19 million people have been diagnosed with flu

I’d be asking just how they were ‘diagnosed’ with this statistic.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And if 19 million were infected were infected in the US with Coronavirus countzero, with the current estimated mortality – 380000 would be dead.

Little bit of a difference.

One is World War 2 levels of carnage and the other is not.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Just been emailed a contracters self assessment form for Coronavirus I have to fill in before going to site next month (UK).

Basically:-
    1 Have you been to China?
    2 Are you ill having been to China?
    3 Have you been in contact with anybody who is ill in China?

I have to tell work whenever I’ve been within a few hundred meters of cattle – but if I’ve been in contact with ill Chinese students – nahhhh mate – you’ll be reyt to go into the clean room.

jamesoz

It’s not even that sort of a site.

v8ninety

And if 19 million were infected were infected in the US with Coronavirus countzero, with the current estimated mortality – 380000 would be dead.

Let’s not get too excited just yet. 19 million people diagnosed with ‘flu’? That’s 6% of the population; I find it to be an iffy statistic.

Upper end estimates of coronvirus infection in Wuhan are suggestive of around 75,000 cases (only 10,000 cases declared worldwide, so far) which would be around 0.7% of a dense population that is at ground zero, with no precautions being taken because they didn’t know about it. It is very unlikely to reach that infection density worldwide I would think.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Let’s not get too excited just yet. 19 million people diagnosed with ‘flu’? That’s 6% of the population; I find it to be an iffy statistic.

Lines up with the lower end of the CDC estimates.

FYI – CDC have just quarantined 200 people, the first time they have ever carried out an enforced quarantine in 50 years – they are now acting on the assumption that it will be a pandemic.

Hopefully, you are right and the infectivity rate is low and the data is being skewed.

v8ninety

CDC have just quarantined 200 people, the first time they have ever carried out an enforced quarantine in 50 years

And the U.K. has done the same(ish) with its 80odd repatriates. And a jolly sensible thing to do it is too, when you are bringing people back from ground zero of a new virus; I can’t really see how they could have done anything else, given that the repatriation was a political rather than a science based decision.

Hopefully, you are right and the infectivity rate is low and the data is being skewed.

I’m not right or wrong, I’m just saying let’s wait and see, it’s not quite time to fight over the last loaf of Warburtons toastie at the Co-Op just yet.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

it’s not quite time to fight over the last loaf of Warburtons toastie at the Co-Op just yet.

Speak for yourself – but I’m off to hoover up every bag of twiglets I can find so I can munch away on them whilst watching the end of the world. 😛

And if it doesn’t happen, well I’ve got bags of twiglets……win win in my book.

amodicumofgnar

If the Coronavirus turns doesn’t get us the Noroboris might. Atleast we did the decent thing and isolated ourselves, although I’m not sure we’re ready for a dose of Mercantile Feudalism that is likely to accompany the Noroboris outbreak.

v8ninety

off to hoover up every bag of twiglets I can find so I can munch away on them whilst watching the end of the world.

Fair point <scurries off to buy a load of Jerk Chicken flavour sensations crisps>

piemonster

Well that’s a humble brag stating people don’t fight over the Warburtons Toasties in you local Coop. Must be posh where you live.

Grannies in our local have been seriously injuring people for years, they even sharpen the points of their umbrellas 🌂 🔪

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.