• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 7,321 through 7,360 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Drac

You don’t need to be but you can lay off the blood on his hands comment I don’t think now is the time for such slur.

kelvin

Really sorry to hear what you’re going through unfitgeezer.

Merak

I hope Boris and any other person in his position makes it through.

There’s some downright callous stuff going on here.

How terrible to wish this kind of ill upon a fellow human being.

kelvin

How terrible to wish this kind of ill upon a fellow human being.

Sorry, have I missed something? No one on this forum has, have they? I’d hope not.

tjagain

Drac – I’ll take the telling. We are all a bit on edge.

Drac

Thanks TJ.

Sorry, have I missed something? No one on this forum has, have they? I’d hope not.

Sadly there was.

Northwind

kimbers
    Subscriber

standard trump

He’s absolutely obsessed with hydroxychloroquine, did you see any of the press conference last night? “Hydroxychloroquine. Try it. If you’d like. Take it.” “Erythromycin, which will kill certain things that you don’t want living within your body. It’s a powerful drug … what do you have to lose?”
    Not just terrible advice but creepy as ****

Mind you if it turns out to actually work he’s going to look like a genius. So far though all we definitely know is that his announcements have killed at least one person (albeit, a total idiot) and that people who genuinely need the drug for other conditions such as lupus are struggling to get it. And when you look at all the trump zoomers… Apparently it’s all a big MSM plot to stop american lives from being saved just to make trump look bad.

kelvin

Sadly there was.

People. I despair.

Mind you if it turns out to actually work he’s going to look like a genius.

And if it doesn’t, he’ll just claim he never said it. Same as at every other step of this crisis.

amodicumofgnar

Take care unfit geezer – that just sounds horrendous.

I hope Johnson pulls through – it’s all funny till it’s not. Right now it’s definitely not. Every day Boris is the joker in the pack and tall tales and gallows humour go with the territory. He’s fair game for it but this is not an experience to wish on anyone. Even if Boris is see as complicit in all of this – for the country the shock of loosing the PM in a national emergency; do we really want that?

kimbers

He’s absolutely obsessed with hydroxychloroquine,

this is parody btw

I feel I have to point that out, because Trump is that bonkers he could say this….

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/trump-optimistic-about-winning-nobel-prize-in-medicine

theres an awful lot of seemingly intelligent Republican commentators & even politicians tweeting that its all a massive over-reaction and Trump has fallen for a scam, genuinely scary, at least over here its Katy Hopkins, brendan O’Neil & Amanda Holden- known crackpots we can safely ignore

kelvin

scaredypants

Is ducatimonster’s video just a load of … ?

Was that the deep breaths thing ?
    “I am not the lung expert you’re looking for”
    but I don’t think it was all bollocks. Deep breathing & holdin briefly presumably does open up lower airways at least a bit and many of the ventilated pts on ICUs will be done lying on their fronts (prone ventilation)

rydster
    Free Member

There’s nobody in the Tory government I really trust and labour seems purged of talent; complete dross on the labour front bench. I’d rather Blair or Brown was wheeled in for this crisis although that’s not going to happen.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Drac – I’ll take the telling. We are all a bit on edge.

I’m glad you said that TJ. I always thought you were a decent human but your recent posts gave me doubts

rydster
    Free Member

My God Raab looks shakey.

inkster
    Free Member

It’s more important than ever to hold the government to scrutiny right now. Boris and Cummings decided to form a government more autocratic in nature than any we’ve seen in our lifetime, evidenced by the resignation of Sajid Javid. They were seeking to erode the traditional capacities of the office of Chancellor in order to concentrate power at the top, moving from a more collegiate form of governance to a more ‘executive’s one.

We have assembled a cabinet of sycophants rather than a cabinet of talents. The problem with that (well one of many) is that when the leader is absent a vacuum is left, to be filled by the vacuous.

Northwind

rydster Member

My God Raab looks shakey.

Course he does, he’s the man who was brexit secretary for 4 months before he discovered Dover was important. By all accounts he was a good solicitor and a competent enough local MP but politically the only reason he’s not a backbencher is that he was such a vocal brexiteer, and he knows it. And now suddenly he’s acting PM.

mehr
    Free Member

Obviously hope he makes it but, the thought of Raab (scary enough) in charge with the den of **** that is Gove, Moog etc manouvering behind him is frightening

With Cummings out of the picture as well, the head of the snake has been well and truly cut off

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Guys has franksinatra checked in here since last week? Anyone know if he’s out of ICU?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@inkster

Yes we should be looking hard at the government. Seeing aside bojos current condition, the move to shelve any dissenters is not looking good right now.

piemonster

I’ve been worrying about franksinatra too

Although this thread could be pretty odious to read if you’re living it so maybe he just needs space and recovery.

Drac

Frank’s post on here.

I’m still in hospital but feeling much better. There had been a few dark days over the past week but I managed to keep out of ITU. I’m off O2 this morning for the first time to see how my lungs get on, if all okay them I may go home over the weekend. That is not the end of it though, going to be a journey getting lungs working again and I’ve lost a remarkable amount of muscle and strength. I feel about 150yrs old. It’s been utterly horrible.

He also posted about Apple TV’s 3 days ago.

dissonance

but politically the only reason he’s not a backbencher is that he was such a vocal brexiteer, and he knows it

There are two reasons. The most important one is he isnt a political threat.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

He’s absolutely obsessed with hydroxychloroquine

“Mr. Trump himself has a small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine.”

Trump’s Aggressive Advocacy of Malaria Drug for Treating Coronavirus Divides Medical Community

willard

Follow the money. Jesus, it seems like even with this global crisis every time he opens his mouth we need to check for ways that he is making himself richer.

Well, news from Sweden is still pretty non-committal. No lockdown as yet in the city (Stockholm) and people still mostly going about business. There is a very distinct trend toward staying a good distance away from people, and the subway and commuter trains are getting emptier, but there are still people that have to go to work and so there is still risk involved. The roads are quieter though.

With Easter approaching and schools mostly out, I think there will be at least some sort of exodus out to the country, especially if the weather is nice. I know Google thinks that movement is down significantly, but decent weather will make that hard to retain, especially if you are an active nation that likes the country. The concern is that holiday cabins attract a lot of old people all year round and are relatively isolated right now.

kcr
    Free Member

The problem with that (well one of many) is that when the leader is absent a vacuum is left, to be filled by the vacuous.

It’s even worse when Johnson was already part of the vacuum of talent before he fell ill.

Tiger6791

I wish Bojo well, I don’t like the man, he lies more than Jay from the Inbetweeners, he played the system and disadvantaged the whole country for his own personal gain.

I have so little trust in the man I wasn’t 100% the “I’ve got it as well” wasn’t a look at me I’m one the herd, a man of the people stunt.

However to wish somebody ill says more about yourself than than anything else.

And as fit as I’m sure he says is, being at the top of government must be an incredible (and possibly unexpected weight) a weight that carries huge stress consciously and subconsciously especially when hit with a crisis like this.

I hope he pulls through

tjagain

The tories have been lying about Johnsons condition right thru this

It was obvious his condition was much more serious than they were claiming.

tomd
    Free Member

Back from my run in the woods.

Past an old giffer this morning that had just parked up in his sports car, he was asking me and another Walker which way to the hill. Hardly the time to be exploring. Also from this access point there are 3 ways to go. 1 of those ways involves operating 2 gates. Old giffer had already gone through the gate and back to ask us, so touching 2 highly used surfaces. So the message hasn’t reached everyone.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@tjagain

Reading between the lines, yes, it was. He went very quiet very quickly. It looked like even getting to the front door of #10 for a quick clap was draining.

Thing is, what else were the propaganda department going to say? Of course they say he is fighting it off, still leading the cabinet, etc. etc.

as fit as I’m sure he says is

He’s not fit, let’s be honest.

Edukator
    Free Member

People above have asked about the chances of survival once in intensive care. BFM reports 50-55% for “réanimation” which implies being on ventilation not just oxygen which can be given anywhere:

https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-a-quelques-unites-pres-les-services-de-reanimation-de-l-ap-hp-au-point-de-saturation-1885685.html

According to a Guardian journalist on Europe 1 this morning Boris isn’t on a ventilator.

Of the stuff posted about Boris there’s one comment I agree with:

I hope he pulls through a genuinely changed man with a bit more humanity about him.

tjagain

The press have no direct knowledge – only what they are told by cabinet minsters. They are now hinting he is on CPAP – now that can be done thru a type of mask or via a ventilator. Why would he be in itu which carries a risk and is under huge pressure if he is not being ventilated?

i simply do not believe it. My guess he is on CPAP using a ventilator but they are justifying saying he is not being ventilated as he is not on a full vent mode. If he was getting CPAP thru the type of a machine used for snorers than why ITU? That could be done in the private room he was in.

it does not add up

I bet today more info drips out and by the end of today the story has changed. They have been downplaying Johnsons condition since the middle of last week

slowoldman

Same as at every other step of this crisis his presidency.

FTFY

mehr
    Free Member

Of course they’re going to downplay it he’s the Prime Minister FFS. There’s a whole multitude of countries that would love to use the situation to their advantage

Drac

Does it matter? He’s in ITU I hope he pulls through for the sake of his family.

amodicumofgnar

Reading between the lines, yes, it was. He went very quiet very quickly. It looked like even getting to the front door of #10 for a quick clap was draining.

He did not look in great shape clapping

Thing is, what else were the propaganda department going to say? Of course they say he is fighting it off, still leading the cabinet, etc. etc.

Another thing to consider here is betting against the economy as the PM is not in a good way. The recent press coverage linking a business Jacob Rees-Mogg’s set up and, I believe still has shares in, to disaster capitalism being a case in point. There are always going to be people who exploit the situation – perversely some of these people may be pro Johnson in other events.

kimbers

i simply do not believe it. My guess he is on CPAP using a ventilator but they are justifying saying he is not being ventilated as he is not on a full vent mode.

Seems quite likely, especially considering the government have repeatedly bent the truth over the last few weeks & years.

I’d be more surprised if they started being honest about things !

And unsurprising they’d want to downplay things, no one is going to be reassured by the idea of Raab as PM !

Edukator
    Free Member

There’s a whole multitude of countries that would love to use the situation to their advantage

How so ? It seems to be the opposite to me, the EU have made it clear they are prepared to extend Brexit negotiations due to CV19 and several EU parliamentarians have called for just that. The hostility to the UK and threats of border closures becuase of the herd approach ended once the UK opted for confinement. There’s cooperation at a research level. Other nations have contributed enormously to repatriating UK citizens from around the world.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response/coronavirus-european-solidarity-action_en

I see far more solidarity than “use the situation to their advantage”

Klunk
    Free Member

The recent press coverage linking a business Jacob Rees-Mogg’s set up and, I believe still has shares in, to disaster capitalism being a case in point.

even more reason for them to be open and above board, prevent any accusations of “insider” dealing ie shorting the pound because you know the pm is worse than no10 are admitting

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52180783

I see the “minimal” effect of school closures is being talked about.

I have this down as the first measure we have lifted when our trip back to normality begins.

Why would he be in itu which carries a risk and is under huge pressure if he is not being ventilated?

Very much this. Right now there is one reason to be in ITU if you have Covid-19.

I refer to the BBC text:

BBC political correspondent Chris Mason said the prime minister was given oxygen late on Monday afternoon, before being taken to intensive care.

He was moved as a precaution so he could be close to a ventilator – which takes over the body’s breathing process, our correspondent said.

In the same way that you don’t go in to hospital late sunday for ‘routine checks’ as ‘a precaution’, you don’t go in to ITU at this point in time as ‘a precaution’ to be ‘close to a ventilator’.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,321 through 7,360 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.