• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • thepurist

Amid all the news it may surprise folk to know that the number of unresolved cases (ie confirmed but not recovered or died) has been falling for the last week.  Obviously there’s no guarantee that it will continue as recent outbreaks could become another nucleus for spreading the illness, but it’s a contrary position to the ‘virus sweeps the world’ narrative that lots of media outlets are pushing.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#active-cases

Drac

Ibuprofen were out of stock most places

IIRC there’s been a production problem for months but let’s blame the Coronavirus.

votchy
    Free Member

This may not be the correct thread but here goes anyway: I keep hearing adverts on the radio telling me the government and NHS are well prepared to combat coronavirus, why then have public health not had any bulletins or information on how to advise clients regarding coronavirus? This doesn’t seem to back up the adverts.

martinhutch

This is a good article summing up the public health strategy at this point – delay the arrival of a full-scale outbreak and try to shore up the public health system to cope:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/coronavirus-seems-unstoppable-what-should-world-do-now

The WHO does believe that the aggressive lockdown in Hubei has saved thousands of lives, but it’s hard to say what will happen to that trend when they start letting folk head back to work.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

“Data from the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention indicates a mortality rate closer to 0.1 per cent in a standard flu season in the US over the past decade.”

From the independent so at least 10 times more deadly than normal flu from what I can see.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Perhaps a worldwide plague that decimates the global population is what the Earth needs to save itself from the human race. (And save the human race from itself). Plus I’ll be able to afford a house in the SE. I’m all for it tbh.

The effectiveness of decimation as a deterrent/punishment/motivational tool was that you didn’t know if you were the unlucky one or the one digging the graves.

Drac

why then have public health not had any bulletins or information on how to advise clients regarding coronavirus? This doesn’t seem to back up the adverts.

I’ve had daily emails since the possible threat was recognised.

BoardinBob

On a slightly more serious note (but still a first world problem), trip booked for April in Cervinia. Annual travel insurance expires and will be renewed on 29 March – looks like I might be without insurance if travel is stopped rolling eyes

Also supposed to be heading to Cervinia on April 3rd. I’ve only booked accommodation so far but unless they get it under control in the next few weeks (unlikely) then I’ll be cancelling.

I’m not overly fussed but my missus is a T1 diabetic so she’s high risk and I can’t intentionally go into an outbreak zone and put her at risk on my return.

Fingers crossed it hasn’t reached the French alps as a proper outbreak and we’ll head there instead.

Poopscoop

Well, done a bit of a “prep shop”.

Local asda out of all own brand paracetamol and ibuprofen. No doubt not linked though. Got both from corner shop who is both cheap and doesn’t mind how much paracetamol you buy. He also hand digital thermometers and face masks in stock.
    Various antibac solutions bought too.

Food shop tomorrow which if not needed (I hope) can all go to local Food Bank. Win, win.

Then I’ll just be watching and hoping like everyone else.

project
    Free Member

Petrol filling station last night, woman walking round pumps, looking confused,a fellow driver asks if she is ok, she says Yes, jus looking for disposable gloves, she then states she doesnt want to touch the pump handle because of corvid, she then goes into shop and demands some disposable gloves.

also just wait till it mutates again and becomes a computer virus,self isolating computers.

Poopscoop

“London firms sending staff home amid coronavirus fears”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51643621

dudeofdoom

why then have public health not had any bulletins or information on how to advise clients regarding coronavirus? This doesn’t seem to back up the adverts.

I’ve had daily emails since the possible threat was recognised

Had a doctor phone consultation on Monday and was most definitely questioned about Coronavirus due to symptoms 🙂

(Probably not exactly really related to public health per se)

molgrips
    Free Member

Various antibac solutions bought too.

Antibacterial products aren’t going to do much against coronavirus.

project
    Free Member

Maximum 5 and very limited stocks locally eg just 2 in most stores locally

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/dust-masks-respirators/cat850348#category=cat850348&sort_by=price

Poopscoop

@molgrips

Antibacterial products aren’t going to do much against coronavirus.

Won’t alcohol gels do the job? Genuine question btw.

Drac

Won’t alcohol gels do the job? Genuine question btw.

Yes hand sanitiser is recommended alcohol based.

Poopscoop

Excellent, cheers Drac.

Drac

No problem.

Clover

Panic buying? No need. I’m <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>just topping up my Brexit supplies as they’ll now not be needed until 2021. </span>

scaredypants

Amid all the news it may surprise folk to know that the number of unresolved cases (ie confirmed but not recovered or died) has been falling for the last week. Obviously there’s no guarantee that it will continue as recent outbreaks could become another nucleus for spreading the illness, but it’s a contrary position to the ‘virus sweeps the world’ narrative that lots of media outlets are pushing.

They keep revising their counting methodology though so it’s hard to be sure what anything means (they were counting symptomatic patients as cases even if they later tested negative; now they’re not, and initially they weren’t either. Regardless which you prefer, that switching, added to their reportedly variably dependable testing kits and their “totalitarian state” mindset means I think we’re still in the twighlight zone)

johnx2
    Free Member

I think we’re still in the twighlight zone)

It’s a point of view. I’m more interested in evidence from epidemiology and WHO experts who’ve been here before…

stewartc
    Free Member

If you are concerned about China’s openness to report the real figures just look at the countries nearby who both have close relationships with China and were the early countries affected such as Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong. The figures from these countries should get give you an idea on how much risk you are, in HK we have lost two so far, both were with existing health issues, Japans being a bit skewed as they decided to cloister them all together on a boat (though maybe this was a good lab test?). The biggest issues we have are the spurts of panic buying which usually last a few days before people realize that no, we have enough toilet paper, that and the almost religious zeal that face masks have taken on as the accessory of choice.
    Most business are effected not by people falling down dead but simply not being able to work because of external restrictions barring the going into work, which is probably helping stop the spread in the long run. Its surprising (or probably not) to find out how many companies dont seem capable of surviving a 2-4 week run of minimal business turnover, that is going to the the biggest affect this epidemic has on the world, not the deaths but the stress test to businesses and the global economy in general.

frankconway

stewartc – you make an interesting point about global supply chains and, by association, the reliance so many companies have on just-in-time deliveries.
    Slick supply chains are great when you can control the variables but Covid-19 has been outside the control of logisticians so the system cannot cope.
    How long until production and deliveries get back to near normal; then add in shipping time; containers and ships in the wrong places.
    That’s just based on product from China; if Covid-19 gets a real grip elsewhere the impacts on global trade, as you say, will be a challenge.

CountZero

If you want a coronavirus conspiracy, there’s one going around that blames 5G phone technology!
    http://www.radiationdangers.com/5g/is-the-coronavirus-actually-microwave-illness/
    We’re really doomed.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-uk-deaths-nhs-intensive-care-flu-wise-men-protocol-a9361916.html

“The Committee on Ethical Aspects of Pandemic Influenza developed Three Wise Men for that circumstance – everyone matters equally, but not everyone gets treatment equally – the goal is to minimise the harm the pandemic causes.”

He added: “We barely coped with a standard winter – which helpfully had an early flu spike, so everything didn’t hit at once – the idea that we can cope with a pandemic is nonsense.”

He explained his own hospital plans included cancelling elective operations for things like hip and knee surgeries while taking over theatres and recovery areas to put ventilated patients adding the trust would “drop staffing ratios as low as we dare”.

“If this is like the 2009 flu it’s going to be very bad. We’re in a worse position than we were then. If it’s worse than that we’re going to be in deep trouble.”

Do I need to break out the comical Ali meme again?

It’s mildly amusing that the demographics most likely to die from this or get shafted by the government are the ones who mostly voted for brexit.

Poopscoop

CountZero

If you want a coronavirus conspiracy, there’s one going around that blames 5G phone technology!

I made the mistake of looking at that. Pretty odd ball to say the least eh?…. But then I scrolled down to the comments section….. absolute bat s*** crazy stuff there.

I’m pretty despairing. The net was meant to disperse knowledge but a good chunk of it is just enjoy disposing of knowledge.

votchy
    Free Member

I’ve had daily emails since the possible threat was recognised

Maybe just Worcestershire then as they definitely have had nothing.

spekkie
    Free Member

Our local “cheap shop” owned by a Chinese family and stocking Chinese products is running on a staff of one. The son of the owner (my friend Ye). The rest of the family – Ye’s dad, his wife Lulu and his cousin, are all avoiding the public in the shop. The primary school aged son still goes to school. When Ye has to do something away from the shop, the shop closes.

On Spanish tv they showed that these types of shops in more densely populated areas were simply staying closed.

mooman
    Free Member

It’s mildly amusing that the demographics most likely to die from this or get shafted by the government are the ones who mostly voted for brexit

Mildly amusing for you to think that those who voted differently to you about EU/Brexit will die? If there such a thing as Karma then you best be worried. But congratulations on identifying yourself as a very special sort of nasty person.

dovebiker

Just suffered 10 minutes of some self-entitled tourist in Tenerife on the BBC describing the “hell” of being holed-up in a hotel for 2 weeks and how she’d rather be in “England” – I bet she wouldn’t if she lived in Ironbridge?

BoardinBob

I can do better than that

https://twitter.com/Wirral_Innit/status/1228326646094192641?s=19

Richie_B

Maybe just Worcestershire then as they definitely have had nothing.

Has it become transmissible by water then?

bob_summers

On Spanish tv they showed that these types of shops in more densely populated areas were simply staying closed.

All open up here. There’s a big one where I pick up junior from the school bus and it’s been rammed with folk the last few days buying carnaval costumes.

crazy-legs

There’s a school in Buxton been closed for deep cleaning after a confirmed case there. That’s getting quite close to home!

Might avoid the Buxton train line for a bit…

Ewan
    Free Member

Has anyone found any decent (i.e. informed, scientific, not mental) twitter accounts to follow on covid 19?

Apparently 14% of chinese cases are redeveloping it (or more likely, becoming asymptomatic for a period before something triggers it again). Even more uncontainable!

From bbc:
    Chinese health officials say that about 14% of people who had the coronavirus but recovered and were discharged from hospital have tested positive for the virus again.

martinhutch

@drericding

Has some interesting insights. Did put a full link on, but it embedded his entire tweet history onto the page.

razorrazoo

Just suffered 10 minutes of some self-entitled tourist in Tenerife on the BBC describing the “hell” of being holed-up in a hotel for 2 weeks and how she’d rather be in “England” – I bet she wouldn’t if she lived in Ironbridge?

Was that the one wearing sunglasses 3x too big for her head having a rant about how the government should be dropping everything to charter her a flight home?

GrahamS

The net was meant to disperse knowledge but a good chunk of it is just enjoy disposing of knowledge.

Some boggling conspiracies doing the rounds on the usual anti-science/tinfoil-hat subs in Reddit. So far I’ve stumbled on variations of:

• It’s all fake. Paid actors to keep you scared, lower the over-inflated stock market and push the Big Pharma vaccine propaganda
    • It’s real but is a bioweapon released by “the elite” to lower the world population
    • It’s actually transmitted in Corona beer, who recently moved production from Mexico to China. They called it coronavirus to make this claim seem silly.
    • China released this in retaliation for Trump winning the trade war with them
    • It’s God’s divine punishment for LGBTQ/liberals/atheists/whatever

Make’s sense. I mean it couldn’t possibly just be a virus that evolved, because evolution isn’t real. Right? 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.