• This topic has 39,835 replies, 1,030 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 39,836 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • Drac

Are the WHO working in the hospitals where it is rife or are they at a distance being fed figures by Chinese officials?

Yes I believe so.

squadra
    Free Member

Vouchers in the Daly Mail could be redeemed for guns, enabling the hidden army of curtain-twitchers to enforce martial law from the comfort of their bungalows.

maccruiskeen

What does “self isolation” even look like in the UK?

it means we’re about to find out who all the pricks are

martinhutch

Are the WHO working in the hospitals where it is rife or are they at a distance being fed figures by Chinese officials? The CDC don’t seem too happy with how the Chinese are “working” with the WHO

We don’t entirely know. The WHO is desperate to keep the Chinese authorities onside, because they need some access to the hardest hit area, and their public statements and praise for them reflect that to a certain extent.

It’s hard to tell whether the apparent slowing of the increase in case numbers is the product of quarantining, or less testing, or both. The official definition of a case has changed and changed back a couple of times.

The Chinese government now appears to want to get people back to work. Whether that will simply lead to a resumption in climbing case numbers remains to be seen.

jimdubleyou

There was a man on the news yesterday telling you what to do.

…and here’s the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-self-isolation-for-patients-undergoing-testing/advice-sheet-home-isolation

raybanwomble
    Free Member

richmtb

Subscriber

China seems to have begun to bring the virus under control using troops on the street and draconian restrictions on travel and gatherings.

There is absolutely no way of that being replicated in this country if Coronavirus does start spreading. We have neither a population that will tolerate it or the infrastructure to carry it out.

Loving all of the officials and politicians coming in tv saying we can still keep it under control essentially because we’re British and awesomez and as long as we show good old fashioned British personal responsibility we’ll all be fine.

We really do think we’re better than everyone else.

Every time I hear them speak I can’t help but think of Comical Ali giving interviews whilst American bombs are exploding in nearby.

Or maybe it’s just that the Brexit stupidity shown by the establishment has irreparably warped my brain and I’m looking at everything through brexidiocy tinted glasses.

BoardinBob

In theory it means staying in your own home and avoiding contact with the outside world/ people. You can get food & supplies delivered to your door so not a hugely onerous ask.

maccruiskeen

AGE DEATH RATE*
    80+ years old 14.8%
    70-79 years old 8.0%
    60-69 years old 3.6%
    50-59 years old 1.3%
    40-49 years old 0.4%
    30-39 years old 0.2%
    20-29 years old 0.2%
    10-19 years old 0.2%
    0-9 years old no fatalities

what we keep over looking with the death rate is the rate of serious illness. It’s not a binary thing of either get a bit of a cough or die. For every death it looks like there are at least 10 times as many people getting ill enough to be at risk of dying.

so considering that with the above numbers that looks like quite a substantial stain on services but also a substantial chunk of workforce. It’s also going to be very not fun for the people who get that ill and their families.

when the rate of infection gets higher and those nearly dying folk are in much larger numbers then the death rate may well change too as people who may have pulled through won’t be getting the care they need.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

In theory it means staying in your own home and avoiding contact with the outside world/ people. You can get food & supplies delivered to your door so not a hugely onerous ask.

Ahhh so getting the delivery driver sick then is just fine.

Drac

Do you always have prolonged close contact with your delivery drivers?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Only with informed consent….

But presumably if you live in student halls, shared accommodation, are staying in a hotel – someone at some point is going to have to spend a few minutes near to you.

The point being, China will be delivering food using people and soldiers who have probably been given a little training in contamination control – do you think Asda or Ocado will do that for their drivers? What about litigation if these companies send drivers to people who are known to be ill?

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have neither a population that will tolerate it or the infrastructure to carry it out.

Please explain.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Please explain.

We’re idiots.

Oh and we riot over KFC running low on chicken.

johnx2
    Free Member

what we keep over looking with the death rate is the rate of serious illness. <snipped>
    so considering that with the above numbers that looks like quite a substantial stain on services

Agreed. Hence efforts to slow it so that if this does happen, it happens in summer. Whilst I’m not quite stockpiling bogroll yet (if you’re going to panic, panic first, otherwise go with the flow is my maxim. Also that of my son who’s still in China…) I am starting to worry about my Tour de Flanders entry. A mass participation event involving jostling against several thousand sweaty Belgians…

From that govt leaflet up there ^

2. Separate yourself from other people in your home*

You should stay in a well-ventilated room with a window to outside that can be opened, separate from other people in your home. Keep the door closed. Use a separate bathroom from the rest of the household, if available. If you have to share these facilities, regular cleaning will be required.
    If a separate bathroom is not available, consideration should be given to drawing up a bathroom rota for washing or bathing, with the isolated person using the facilities last, before thoroughly cleaning the bathroom themselves (if able or appropriate*). Ensure the isolated person uses separate towels from other household members, both for drying themselves after bathing or showering and for hand hygiene purposes.

If you live in shared accommodation (university halls of residence or similar) with a communal kitchen, bathroom(s) and living area, you should stay in your room with the door closed, only coming out when necessary, wearing a facemask if one has been issued to you.
    If you share a kitchen with others (such as university halls of residence or similar), if possible avoid using it whilst others are present. If this is not possible then wear a facemask if you have been issued with one. Take your meals back to your room to eat. Use a dishwasher (if available) to clean and dry your used crockery and cutlery. If this is not possible, wash them by hand using detergent and warm water and dry them thoroughly, using a separate tea towel.

If these recommendations cannot be implemented, then home isolation should be avoided.

Sounds like a sort of “Dad’s Army” approach to self isolation.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

One upside, maybe this will end out culture of presenteeism where one worker comes in half dead and gets the rest of the office sick.

maccruiskeen

One upside, maybe this will end out culture of presenteeism where one worker comes in half dead and gets the rest of the office sick.

In my industry we call that person “The Producer”.

BoardinBob

No, the official advice is anyone delivering food or supplies leaves it on the doorstep and avoids contact

You can either go and find this stuff out yourself. It was all over the news. The official link is up there^

Twodogs

Sounds like a sort of “Dad’s Army” approach to self isolation.

it seems like perfectly reasonable common sense advice to me, explaining simple hygiene to the masses. Not quite sure what else you’d expect…government issued isolation chambers?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No, the official advice is anyone delivering food or supplies leaves it on the doorstep and avoids contact

Won’t work well in student halls, shared accommodation, any kind of flat where it’s a converted London house where there are shared spaces.

It’s better than nothing – but it’s laughable that they think we will somehow fair better than China.

BoardinBob

Won’t work well in student halls, shared accommodation, any kind of flat where it’s a converted London house where there are shared spaces.

Once again, advice for shared residences is included in the official guidance. If they choose not to follow it then there’s not much that can be done for the terminally stupid.

it seems like perfectly reasonable common sense advice to me, explaining simple hygiene to the masses.

Quite right, it explains the importance of good hygiene. But its not isolation, just isolation where convenient.

eg. “if possible avoid using it whilst others are present. If this is not possible then wear a facemask if you have been issued with one.”

Also, not the use of the word “should” rather than “must”

Its all very woolly. Apply that to large numbers of people and its not going to work.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s better than nothing – but it’s laughable that they think we will somehow fair better than China

We’ll be fine, the casualties will be massively skewed towards the poor, the old, and people who are already ill. That’s acceptable losses in Whitehall and, with a little engineering of the news, its the end of the housing crisis, the end of pensions blackholes, increased employment, better distribution of wealth and reduced load on the NHS in the long term. What’s not to like?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

They used to offer similar advice at my halls of residence for freshers flu etc, but still – as soon as one person got sick everyone did.

People are lazy and only as good as the world allows them to be. What incentive do people have who live in a highly individualistic society and are already sick? They aren’t going to suddenly start sterilising or washing their dishes properly because of the governments Coronavirus advice.

That document and the British government vastly overestimate the British people.

Its all very woolly. Apply that to large numbers of people and its not going to work.

+1

MoreCashThanDash

Can we mutate the virus to target argumentative nitpicky types?

Twodogs

so what should they do? get the troops on the streets to keep people isolated? For what is essentially a flu outbreak?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wonder when the panic buying will start?
    Interesting article..
    https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-02-12/virus-fears-asian-shoppers-hoarding-rice-noodles

More people panicking but It really wont take much when this virus gets a grip for the shelves to empty here IMO.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

It doesn’t need to be 100% effective, it just needs to slow the rate of spread down.

Realistically, what else are they supposed to do? If everyone stays at home in a positive-pressure haztent, people will run out of food in a couple of days and things will start to get pretty ugly.

Drac

Some already have.

oldtennisshoes

What I want to know is when are MXP easter car hire prices going to drop as a result of this?

On a slightly more serious note (but still a first world problem), trip booked for April in Cervinia. Annual travel insurance expires and will be renewed on 29 March – looks like I might be without insurance if travel is stopped rolling eyes

molgrips
    Free Member

PHW gave us the all-clear.

richmtb

so what should they do? get the troops on the streets to keep people isolated? For what is essentially a flu outbreak?

That’s exactly my point, that’s how they controlled it in China. It’s not going to happen here. Whether or not the population would accept it is fairly moot as I’m pretty sure we don’t have troops or police to spare anyway.

sobriety
    Free Member

Yeah I’m off to panic buy 10kg of rice, a load of tinned food and ramen this evening.*

*As our current 10kg bag of rice is empty, and we’re out of tins and instant noodles too.**

**but it’ll look like I’m panic buying…

BillMC

The Black Death did lead to higher rates of pay and the commutation of servile labour but it ended with the peasants’ revolt and the murder of its leaders. Lessons to be learnt?

Drac

PHW gave us the all-clear.

Good news was worth asking.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

it ended with the peasants’ revolt and the murder of its leaders

See there is a silver lining

Edit. Oh hang on, you don’t mean the country’s leaders, you mean the revolt’s

zilog6128

We’ll be fine, the casualties will be massively skewed towards the poor, the old, and people who are already ill. That’s acceptable losses in Whitehall and, with a little engineering of the news, its the end of the housing crisis, the end of pensions blackholes, increased employment, better distribution of wealth and reduced load on the NHS in the long term. What’s not to like?

Perhaps a worldwide plague that decimates the global population is what the Earth needs to save itself from the human race. (And save the human race from itself). Plus I’ll be able to afford a house in the SE. I’m all for it tbh.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Plus I’ll be able to afford a house in the SE.

Think bigger, I’m envisaging Labour shortages and encouraged immigration into Austria or Northern Italy personally

alric
    Free Member

Cant get hold of masks now,all out of stock(they had a couple left in screwfix and B&Q yesterday)
    and also Ibuprofen were out of stock most places(well, the cheap ones were)
    And I dont suppose Ranitidine are back on the shelves either

zilog6128

Think bigger, I’m envisaging Labour shortages and encouraged immigration into Austria or Northern Italy personally

still not seeing the downside 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 39,836 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.