Viewing 40 posts - 5,521 through 5,560 (of 7,793 total)
  • The Coronavirus Discussion Thread.
  • steelbike

I am quite scared to be honest, I dont want to die.

I set up a business 3 months ago after buying some bicycle building equipment now im probably going to not be able to pay the rent in 2 months. Scary on both fronts.

Every press story in the tabloids seems to convey death is likely .

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Subscriber

In case anyone missed it, here’s the link to sign up to volunteer. t’s & c’s apply, do your best

Clunk

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Every press story in the tabloids seems to convey death is likely

That’s what you get from reading tabloids. You need to change your press sources. Most of what I’ve seen – predominantly BBC, but also quotes from NHS and Dept of Health – seem to stress that many people will hardly notice they’ve got it, about half will be “ill” of which a few will be very ill, a few of them will need hospital treatment, a few of them will need ICU, a few of them will die.

It’s still big numbers when you look at it across the population but if you are relatively healthy, as far as I have seen, you are unlikely to die.

steelbike

Can you change it in Google news?

Premier Icon oldagedpredator
    Subscriber

“Stay at home – unless you fancy a nice trip out in the car for a walk”

Was that the government explanation or just the person from the BBC? Didn’t feel the BBC had helped the situation on the tea time Q&A. I felt like banging my head on the table. It did seem like they backtracked slightly with a other people could also have had the same idea. Atleast it’s cold this weekend.

In OAP world – following up yesterdays plan. Reasonably successful – early morning walk, observed someone else from a safe distance whilst out and about, worked, got the work thing collected, did the shop thing, got home stayed in. Didn’t socially distance any of the neighbours.

Total transformation on the roads – farmers, delivery vans and a hand full of random roadies dispersed along the route. Supermarket had maybe 30 people in – marked standing waiting zones / person at the door cleaning baskets prior to use. Not really any noise or chatter in the supermarket.

nick1962

No bread, no meat, no tins, no bog roll, no hand-wash limitrd fruit and veg in my local big Tesco thisc evening

Flame awsy but i worked today.

Maybe if you’d not worked ,as per government advice and instead gone for your essential shopping during the day you would have found what you needed.Did my mum’s shopping today,plenty of stuff available and the supermarket had the fewest customers I have ever seen there.

Everybody dies.
    Chances of dying from this virus are very slim for the vast majority.Be sensible and you should have a longer life. Best of luck with the business.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Good evening folks.

Right any fake news posts will be dealt with please check your facts as if not you may get a ban long enough to see us through the lock down.

Take care folks and goodnight.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

I’m not that fussed tbh, I’ve had a good run, considering.

I’m desperate to get back to work – Monday hopefully.

I work in one of the safest places in Britain.
    If all staff are sensible then we should be able to make a difference.

ferrals

Not sure if this has been posted but it’s encouraging to see on the ft graph that the death rate curve in the U.K. is slowing down. Might just be a blip but hopefully with these new measures thing will not get as bad as Italy.

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

nick1962 – harsh.

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

boomerlives – thanks for the link; just volunteered – let’s see what happens.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

Try not to be. If you have no underlying medical issues, there is much less reason to be concerned. If you do, isolate yourself and others will help. Othe people are surprising. They are also hugely under-reported.

With regards to paying the rent, I believe that like any very serious blockage to a complex system, things will improve. The government is the lender of last resort and is putting the economy into hibernation. It’s not being crashed – but it will take time to settle. They will not have people being thrown onto the streets, but it will need time.

No battle plan survives the first encounter with the enemy.

Now back to Radio 3… seriously try it. Great for the mood.

“least”

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Maybe if you’d not worked ,as per government advice and instead gone for your essential shopping during the day you would have found what you needed.Did my mum’s shopping today,plenty of stuff available and the supermarket had the fewest customers I have ever seen there.

How’s that work then as I didn’t get anything to eat until 9 hours into my 12 hour shift, should I have skipped that quick 15 minutes to go shopping. I know when I was planning to have my break and ended up consoling a member of staff for an hour who was heartbroken as they were having to leave their family for 2 weeks to live in isolation. I should have told them **** you pal I need bog roll.

avdave2

Just listening to inside health on radio4 and they are talking about the death rate in Italy. I was aware that they had an aged population but not that their smoking rates are double the UK’s and that of all deaths in Europe attributed to anti biotic resistance a third are in Italy! All of which means they really are up against it. Awful for them but maybe some hope that it won’t be as bad across the rest of Europe.

phil5556

boomerlives – thanks for the link; just volunteered – let’s see what happens.

I tried but only available in England at the moment.

Drac for glorious leader
    Free ipads for everyone

Lamdlords. Banned from evictions due to non payment of rent for 3 months, hth.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

While we’re mentioning Italy this appeared on Twitter, https://twitter.com/johnthemadmonk/status/1242197589027676167?s=21

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Another company to add to the shit list….
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52007155

dantsw13

I hadn’t realised the rampant trade in private testing. I read an article last week about Portsmouth FC testing it’s whole team – been happening loads apparently.

nick1962

Drac
    Subscriber

How’s that work then as I didn’t get anything to eat until 9 hours into my 12 hour shift, should I have skipped that quick 15 minutes to go shopping. I know when I was planning to have my break and ended up consoling a member of staff for an hour who was heartbroken as they were having to leave their family for 2 weeks to live in isolation. I should have told them **** you pal I need bog roll.

Drac The poster works in a brewery from what I can gather,not quite the same as an emergency worker.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

The govt need to really get a handle on giving a clear message. It’s leading to situations where people are selectively picking up on what suits them. Just been on the phone to my mum who is obeying the rules but my dad is ignoring the rule to stay inside at all times for over 70’s and vulnerable people (he’s 80 and undergoing chemo) and all he hears is that it’s ok to go for a walk once a day so this morning he took the dog for a walk to the newsagents to get the papers. He’s adamant he’ll do it again tomorrow.

Their lack of cohesion on official advice is genuinely going to kill people.

The govt need to really get a handle on giving a clear message. It’s leading to situations where people are selectively picking up on what suits them. Just been on the phone to my mum who is obeying the rules but my dad is ignoring the rule to stay inside at all times for over 70’s and vulnerable people (he’s 80 and undergoing chemo) and all he hears is that it’s ok to go for a walk once a day so this morning he took the dog for a walk to the newsagents to get the papers. He’s adamant he’ll do it again tomorrow.

Their lack of cohesion on official advice is genuinely going to kill people.

It really is very, very clear. How much clearer do you want it? A tattoo, perhaps?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

A tattoo? No. Instructions about which workers should still be travelling to communal work places? Yes. Closing newsagents? Dunno, but you can’t expect people not to walk or drive to shops you allow to stay open.

A tattoo? No. Instructions about which workers should still be travelling to communal work places? Yes.

Different question, agreed confirmation is needed. But for the above, the rules are quite clear and if in doubt, don’t go out.

Subscriber

It really is very, very clear. How much clearer do you want it? A tattoo, perhaps?

What the outside world thinks of Boris’ actions.

Others deem it not to be clear or cohesive.

dantsw13

I thought the over 70s had been dropped from the cocooned group?

What the outside world thinks of Boris’ actions.

Others deem it not to be clear or cohesive.

Apologies if I sound flippant, that’s not my intention – but the rules are quite clear although if folk decide to find a small loophole then more fool them – but that also affects everybody else.

Don’t go out unless absolutely necessary.

Apologies if I sound flippant, that’s not my intention – but the rules are quite clear

But they are not clear
    If they say no one goes out unless they are a key worker then there is a list of key workers and your employer will have informed you that you are a key worker ( which is in goverment websites)

Bojo has said essential workers and some employers are classing people as essential workers (who are clogging up trains/tubes in London) so there is no government definition of an essential worker = unclear advice

Plus a few on here have said the advice is not clear (to them) so then surely that makes it not clear?

Correct me if I’m wrong but about 96% (subject to change of course) of those who contract Covid 19 in the UK recover without dying.

The entire 60 odd million population of the UK will not contract it, that hasn’t happened anywhere including the worst affected nations.

Lets get a grip here!

Subscriber

I won’t hold it against you GlennQuagmire, these are extraordinary times that none of us have ever contemplated happening here. Apart from the obvious trolls on here I’m giving everyone a lot of slack for what they type on here, a lot of people have no point of reference for what is happening to use as a basis for making informed decisions. It’s that exact reason why we need clear rules defining how we conduct ourselves. This place has even helped me come to terms with what’s happening right now so I can’t expect everyone else to just figure it out on their own. Not having a pop at you whatsoever, more talking about us as a whole. We need each other to get through this intact.

Premier Icon oldagedpredator
    Subscriber

Morning folks,

Open your windows and air your beds it’s another day in the rabbit hole.

Get ready to marvel at how you could spend a day in and still wake up to washing up.

Are you Morris Dancing your way through the new rules of life towards an answer that sounds something like – The dog ate my home work. You’re not really getting the rules of the game are you? It’s still the only one in town – protect people, protect the NHS.

Take care and be kind.

FunkyDunc

The entire 60 odd million population of the UK will not contract it, that hasn’t happened anywhere including the worst affected nations.

Lets get a grip here!

Whilst that may be a correct statement, the pages above are testimony to people being idiots and not being able to listen to simple instruction.

No not everyone will die, but people WILL DIE UNNECESSARILY

Premier Icon piemonster
    Subscriber

FWIW my folks are referring to this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

And don’t count the collection of daily newspapers as necessities, and although this has changed in the last few days, the attitudes of most of their family/friends/neighbours have shifted significantly as well. And people are staying in under pretty much all circumstances.

The dog is now exercised in the garden too, food that comes into the house is delivered, and selected on the basis of infection control. E.g. tinned food, or food that will be cooked with high frequency hand washing. I don’t think enough tinned options are available.

I suspect with my parents at least, this attitude is influenced by cancer/chemo treatment in the last couple of years.

The joke at present is that the front door is sealed with duct tape.

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

Apologies if I sound flippant, that’s not my intention – but the rules are quite clear

But they are not clear

They are – go to work if you cannot work from home unless your business is on the must-close list.

Not saying thats the right rule, but its the rule.

The problem stems from companies that can’t accept their employees can be trusted to work from home or keep their employees safe through PPE and distancing. What happens then? Thats the lack of clarity.

The best countries at having dealt with CV19 haven’t shut down. They have used testing, screening, sanitising and PPE effectively to deal with the issue. Taiwan, right next to china and with a population that travel to and fro constantly has barely skipped a beat. Next years bike supply is safe. Far east countries have this stuff pretty much down now since H1N1 Sars etc. Why our Govt. couldn’t just cookie cutter their approach is beyond me.

twinw4ll

I live in a market town and the market is being set up today as I write, i’m seething tbh tainted with despair.
    These traders reside from all over the country, should I pop down and remonstrate or have a mooch I might get myself a bargain.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Subscriber

Might be worth a read

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238473-you-could-be-spreading-the-coronavirus-without-realising-youve-got-it/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=echobox&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3wCtoVgCwW-qFhXcQnTP3dO1Su01noNN4UWhyVKq7ip-chew7uay5_5vE#Echobox=1585068938

Claim of 86% of Chinese infection are undocumented And that 86% accounts for 79% of infections.

Back to the “it’s just a cold mate” thing, if they had any symptoms at all.

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Subscriber

These traders reside from all over the country, should I pop down and remonstrate or have a mooch I might get myself a bargain.

If people stay away they will slope off. The council should move them on though.

Reasonably successful – early morning walk, observed someone else from a safe distance whilst out and about

Me too. Saw binners on Holcombe Hill and stayed well away from him. It’s good advice all year round…

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Just a PSA. Ocado is open/opening and when ordering you can elect food to donate to food banks – if you do they’ll double your contribution.  Please try to do that if you can, even the smallest contribution helps someone.

stevextc

Has anyone received a NHS letter ?
    I’m on my GP’s vulnerable list for flu vaccinations due to an auto-immune condition and had half expected a letter or text ??

Viewing 40 posts - 5,521 through 5,560 (of 7,793 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.