• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where's not covered in snow? Lakes, peaks?
  • D0NK

Route ideas for tomorrow please, local trails are covered in drifts of the wrong sort of snow 😕 Not even push up/hoon down stuff, just ride push ride push everywhere up down and along.

stufive
    Free Member

I dont think it matters where you go your going to come across the odd drift or compated icy bit, there were deep drifts everywhere and the temps have been so low its taking for ever to completely melt them, it was -7 when i rode from grasmere to ambleside this morning, i think its just a case of not going too high and expect there to be and odd bit of snow and ice about 😆

D0NK

Don’t mind a bit of snow and ice, good job considering weather we’ve had, the stuff we had earlier in the year was fun, hard work but doable, the stuff I was riding on Friday tho was just horrible, stop start stop start, 20ft of trail then a 4ft drift, another 20ft another drift, proper rubbish ride. Just want a route that’s mostly rideable, doesn’t have to be pristine condition. Was wondering about round grazedale parkamoor satterthwaite colthouse etc. but open to suggestion.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I rode whinlatter yesterday, 4/5 inches of snow on upper levels even unridable in places due to sheet ice under snow but enjoyed it hugely and had a good laugh as we all fell off loads. I could have this the wrong way round but south side was much better than north side condition wise.

excitable1
    Free Member

Someone said yesterday that the Garburn and Kentmere is clear but the Nan Beild is a no go.

Start at Ings, half way up the Garburn, drop into Troutbeck, through the the woods and drop in to Ambleside and then do the Loughrigg lowland loop etc ? Not a bad route, 55k. Got it on a GPS if you want it. Still doesn’t answer your questions about the snow on the route I know.

I’ve resigned myself to a trail centre tomorrow and CYB looks like its clear 🙄 (of snow at least 😉 )

Junkyard
    Free Member

Have you considered a road ride 😈

PS STW I will be riding with him so good suggestions please

grum
    Free Member

Farleton Knott looks snow-free. Have you been up there before? It’s not a huge area but I know a few good bits I could show you. Depends how long a ride you were after.

D0NK

Don’t think I’ve ever been there grum, not got a proper plan yet but was thinking tomorrow morning, 9/10ish start what sort of distance*/time did you have in mind?

Excitable not sure I know the loughrigg route would appreciate gpx cheers.

*lets face it in the lakes distance often doesn’t tell you much.

simondbarnes

Have you considered a road ride

Ha! I tried that on Friday…

Well I did ignore the road closed sign! #blocked #snow by simondbarnes, on Flickr

grum
    Free Member

Probably no more than a couple of hours worth of entertainment (at my slow pace) there but there’s some very nice riding and scenery. Not sure about how much distance that would be. There’s a really nice little DH track you can easily session a few laps of if you want to extend it a bit.

It’s a bit further for you to travel there though so you may wish to carry on a bit further and get a longer ride in in the Lakes.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yes, kentmere village was clear on tuesday. garburn pass is east facing and clear, it had been ridden down a few times and was rideable all the way down however applethwaite common might be thick with snow as it’s west facing.

excitable1
    Free Member

Donk… you’ve got mail. Any questions let me know.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Just got back from riding round Grizedale ( both the bridalways and parts of TNF ). All perfectly rideable, in fact apart from the odd bit of snow it was quite dry and grippy.

This was the worst snow of the route, at the top of the “grandad, dad and dentist” bridalway down to Satterthwaite. It was clear just further after this

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Where’s not covered in snow? Lakes, peaks?

Inside my car at fairholmes car park. 😉

D0NK

That sounds like a disturbing invitation dannymite 😯
    Cheers bjj andy, that’ll be plan B then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where's not covered in snow? Lakes, peaks?’ is closed to new replies.