Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Where’s my tiny violin?
  • Premier Icon davros
    Free Member

Former daily mail editor won’t be chair of ofcom. His reaction to being found unsuitable for the role rather vindicates their decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/19/paul-dacre-pulls-out-of-running-next-ofcom-chair

Writing in a letter in the Times, he said: “To anyone from the private sector, who, God forbid, has convictions, and is thinking of applying for a public appointment, I say the following: the civil service will control (and leak) everything; the process could take a year in which your life will be put on hold; and if you are possessed of an independent mind and are unassociated with the liberal/left, you will have more chance of winning the lottery than getting the job.”

Premier Icon Northwind

His “strong convictions” are not suitable for the role. Well yes, one of them is that self regulation is “the only viable way of policing a genuinely free press”. FFS.

Genuinely surprised that the tories didn’t just crush all opposition to it though. Or on more recent form, smash onwards, declare it fair and totally fine and then at the last minute change their minds

Premier Icon kelvin

Isn’t that what has happened? Or are we believing that this decision was entirely Dacre’s?

Premier Icon cookeaa

The government now has just 10 days to find another preferred candidate, with applications due by 29 November.

Who Do we reckon 2nd choice will be then?

Premier Icon davros
    Free Member

In keeping with recent themes, someone worse?

Premier Icon timbog160

Dido Harding of course! 😀

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie
    Free Member

Good.
    I’ll do the job and bring back ‘Kickstart’

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

It’s a bit hackneyed surely to be pretending from a position of privilege that he’s been sidetracked. It’s a bit sad how we’re now so tied to the US political memes.”Taking back control”

Premier Icon dissonance

Who Do we reckon 2nd choice will be then?

Ed Vaizey has been mentioned since, unlike Dacre, he apparently has a pretty decent knowledge of what OfCom would need to do. He isnt a culture warrior though hence why he lost out to a technophobe with zero relevant experience but a rather large chip and persecution complex.
    Dacre really is a whining turd. I love his complaints about peloton bikes considering how much the taxpayer gives to him for his grouse moor.

Premier Icon kimbers

I’ll be honest, I actually hoped he’d get the job.

Just because the outcry would’ve exposed the corruption at the core of the government & force a u-turn

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

I’ll do the job and bring back ‘Kickstart’

You’ve got my vote, loved watching that in the 80’s and still fancy owning a trials bike now even though a) I don’t even ride a motorbike and b) even if I did it would be of no use

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

I’ll be honest, I actually hoped he’d get the job.

Just because the outcry would’ve exposed the corruption at the core of the government & force a u-turn

I can’t see another way for the blinkered Tory supporters to learn other than to have to be made to keep squirming at how unsuitable they are to run even a tuck shop.

Premier Icon nickc

and if you are possessed of an independent mind and are unassociated with the liberal/left, you will have more chance of winning the lottery than getting the job.”

Says the man who having failed the first time, literally had the rules on the application process re-written by his friends and supporters so he could pass it. The lack of self awareness is genuinely astonishing

Premier Icon chrismac

He clearly can’t have made the highest donation to party funds. Perhaps now he isn’t the editor he can no longer offer well paid columnist jobs to the right mps?

Premier Icon Riksbar

The tread title threw me, I’ll need a smaller one for this then The criminal classes obviously can’t plan their finances.

Premier Icon csb

Charlie Elphike – smacks of a strategic separation so she ring fences their wealth.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

The lack of self awareness is genuinely astonishing

As of now I’m increasingly astonished that such lack is astonishing

A plausible alternative is self-awareness being voluntarily discarded in pursuit of riches, ideology, influence etc.

Premier Icon Cougar

Paul Dacre in charge of OFCOM? Jesus H Titty****ing Christ, I’d sooner put Jimmy Savile in charge of Barnardo’s.

Premier Icon Cougar

Also, “man fails job interview” is news? They should talk to me, I’ve failed shitloads.

Dacre said he was taking up “an exciting new job” in the private sector

So… what’s your beef then? Go be excited, dickhead.

Gordon Bennett. Slow news day?

Premier Icon CountZero

Premier Icon csb

Charlie Elphike – smacks of a strategic separation so she ring fences their wealth.

Just realised that his ‘ex’ wife Natalie Elphicke replaced him as the local MP! Discerning constituents there haha.

Premier Icon dissonance

Also, “man fails job interview” is news? They should talk to me, I’ve failed shitloads.

Yes but have you failed one where the senior management pretty much announced you were the best person for the job and then had to hang around for a year waiting for them to find a more amenable selection committee?

Luckily no violin needed since his exciting new job in the private sector is, ermm, his old one. Looks like the experiment trying to detoxify the daily hate failed and so its back full steam.
    Sadly the sunday version is now under the same editoral control so we dont have the feuding between that and the rest of the week which could be amusing.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.