Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where's good / recommendations for cold weather gear, please?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Need to bolster the old wardrobe for the coming cold, especially now I’m doing quite a bit of chilly road riding. Any good recommendations of retailers with good bargains at the mo, or clothing in particular – probably looking at a couple of long sleeve jerseys and a lightweight jacket. The jacket in particular I could do with a recommendation on as there’s so much choice and range of pricing… Any thoughts welcome.

highclimber
    Free Member

Decathlon – Quechua gear. good value. Get your self a down jacket – you will live in it over winter!

footflaps

Anything from Endura or Gore Bike wear. You generally need thinner stuff than you think as if you start off riding warm, you’ll end up a sweaty mess. I start off riding quite cold and warm up in the first 15-20 mins riding. Only downside with that is if you get a puncture or a prolonged stop, you freeze a bit.

nedrapier

A synthetic insulated gilet would be a great thing to add. Doesn’t take up much space when it’s on or if you’ve got it stuffed in a pocket. Warm when wet, zip front to moderate.

Love mine.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Well I’ve never really gone in for the jacket options, as have found long-sleeved tops ok, but having done a fairly long ride on Sunday I realised that something jackety is going to have to be acquired. Definitely erring on the thin side, but want it to actually be of use if the rain comes in as well. Possible moon-on-a-stick situation, but there you go!

Good tips, chaps.

bokonon
    Free Member

Best thing I ever bought for keeping warm was a Montane Featherlite Smock (although the price of these seems to have gone up) it doesn’t actually add any warmth, but it’s bloody effective at keeping the wind off, packs down to nothing. The cold riding for me is from wind, not actual cold a lot of the time, so a windproof makes a lot of sense as a starting point.

Other than that, I just use baselayers (smelly helly, Icebreaker etc.) underneath a windproof. The only time I really feel the need for proper cold weather gear outdoors is winter climbing, and even then I walk in a baselayer and windproof, and then climb in a pertex and pile smock – that’s done me proud down to -20°C or so if I’m moving and belaying, with a down jacket in the sack for emergencies.

I tend to run hot and not feel the cold as much as many people, so YMMV.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s a very useful suggestion. I also don’t really feel the cold too badly, but was thinking the other day that it might still be nice to be a bit warmer!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Any afternoon thoughts?

lordmerchant
    Free Member

on one have a good winter bundle on offer, 25 nicker have a look!

jekkyl

amazon

binners

The heavier weight On One merino base layers are proper toasty! I’ve also got a Race Face soft shell that can only be called into duty when the temperature is hovering just above freezing, where it comes into it’s own.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers, guys – more good suggestions. And that Montane Smock can be got for around £35, by the looks of things. Sounds like a goer.

maccruiskeen

What size are you? I’ve got a Montane Featherlight thats a bit too short in the sleeves for me. Bit dark (dark blue) for cycling though.

IanW
    Free Member

Overshoes- get really cold feet on road rides anything except Endura they cannot do stitching that doesn’t split or zips that don’t fail.

Gilet- usually enough for me in all but the very worst prolonged rain.

Thermal bibs- essentials

LS jersey- whatever you like.

Hat- keep yer heed warm

Buff – or similar from tkmaxx

Wool socks

Defeet gloves

thebrowndog
    Free Member

do you get really cold hands? I did till I fitted some poggies – handlebar mits. They look horrid but 1,000,000,000 Canadian fatbikers can’t be wrong.

loddrik
    Free Member

Paramo. Can’t remember what I wore before I discovered it but I now wonder how I ever managed without it.

ton

I don’t really wear cycling clothes to be honest, don’t wanna look like a super hero… 8)

my winter riding clobber is,
    haglofs trousers
    rab base layer
    rab generator pullover when it is dry/cold
    paramo jacket made by ccioch for the wet
    smartwool socks
    5/10 guide boots
    sking/boarding gloves.

I am a proper cold bugger due to medication, this keeps me toasty.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Mac, cheers though I think I’d have the same problem as I am a large and have quite long arms, according to the clothing that I end up with anyway! All good suggestions, cheers guys. And Ton, I imagine you look like a superhero whatever you wear. 🙂

ton

cheers guys. And Ton, I imagine you look like a superhero whatever you wear.

more like freddy flintstone…… 😆

theflatboy
    Free Member

I did buy a long sleeved Campagnolo top from On One prior to this thread and it arrived today. Very happy with it, excellent fit, very warm and decent price too. It’s here, if anyone’s interested. Not the cheapest, but very nice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where's good / recommendations for cold weather gear, please?’ is closed to new replies.