• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ajc.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • wheres good for family overnight stop between calais / morzine?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

looking at going to morzine this summer with the family, kids will be 1 and 3 so stopping in dover one night then will probably need a midway stop in France

Was thinking Troyes looks midway, so any reccommendations for hotels round here? Would probably like somewhere just off the autoroute so we can have a wander round the town / village in the evening rather than being stuck on a motorway services place.

andy8442
    Free Member

Yep, Troyes.Thats where we’re stopping in a few weeks on the way to Morzine. Lovely old town to wonder around.

dknwhy

Troyes is nice and an ideal place to stop.

If you’re camping and want to stay somewhere quiet, we stayed at Kawan Village Lac d’orient which is 30 mins from Troyes and not far off the motorway.
    It’s a nice site with playground, indoor and outdoor pool.

Across the road is a pizzeria and a nice lake for swimming.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I always stay at la Val Moret it’s near Troyes I think

hels
    Free Member

I saw this post title and immediately thought – Troyes. Good to be in the majority for a change !

There is even a really cool museum if you want a family activity. Of Tools and stuff.

hels
    Free Member

I can’t remember where I stayed – but there are loads of places just inside the town walls.

meeeee
    Free Member

Troyes it is then, now I just need some way of sneaking off for a few hours while I’m there to check out this tool museum!

annebr
    Free Member

Just down the road is Langres, also a lovely town.

gozarch
    Free Member

I always stay at la Val Moret it’s near Troyes I think

Another vote for Le Val Moret. Just, for the love of god, don’t order andouillette in the restaurant.

captain-slow
    Free Member

We stay here – hotel in main town square with family rooms and secure parking

Hotel Le Pot d’Etain
    18, Place de la Republique, 51000 Chalons-en-Champagne

Stu_N

Maybe not an obvious suggestion but Colmar or Ribeauville in Alsace are great. You can go through Belgium, Luxembourg, Nancy then up over the Vosges and drop down into Alsace. Might be a few € in nothern France but otherwise there’s no tolls apart from tunnel through Vosges (€10 I think). Plus cheap diesel in Lux. Alsace is beautiful and really quite different to rest if France. Next day it’s down to Basel and through Switzerland to Geneva – you need to buy a vignette for about £30 – then finish job off on A40. Probably cheaper than direct route via Reims/ Bourg en Brease and only about 90 mins longer.

We usually go direct one way and via Alsace the other, bit of variety.

david47
    Free Member

I would definitely say not Troyes. There is a bit more to this story…
    Don’t stop there for lunch, buy some champagne for when you get to your destination, and let the passengers who are supposed to be sharing the driving open the first bottle. Cos they then go on to open more, and as you are the muggins behind the wheel when the first one is opened, you cannot swap drivers, you arrive at your destination with no champagne, and no one to talk to as they NEED to get to bed… for 24 hours 🙁

onehundredthidiot

Beaune

igm

We just do Zeebrugge to Les Gets in a oner – but to be fair our youngest was 3 the first time.

ajc
    Free Member

Another vote for val moret. Stayed there about 4 times. Good food, pool, little playground for kiddies, can even take the dog. And it’s right by the motorway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘wheres good for family overnight stop between calais / morzine?’ is closed to new replies.