Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • where's best to live around Edinburgh (for riding)?
  • jimmy

Currently live in the North city centre (Craigleith). Other than Corstorphine Hill, which doesn't really count, there's no trails nearby. This really frustrates me having lived in Sheffield where Wharncliffe was 20 mins on the bike away, or 5 mins in the car. 20 mins the other way in the car and I was at Ladybower. The best I can think up this way would be living Peebles way or in Stirling. Balerno way would also be an option for the Pantlands but not totally inpsired by them.

Where do you live in these parts (Lothian / Borders / Fife) and do you rate it for riding potential?

Smee
    Free Member

Peebles would be the best option.

jimmy

Hmmm, forgot to add. Now factor in rock climbing, of which in the borders there is next to Zero.

cynic-al
    Free Member

South or West of the city gets you closer to Pentlands or GT/IL.

Stirling and around is good for riding but not exactly "around Edinburgh"

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you want to stay close to Edinburgh then Balerno would be the best option, however if you don't mind the commute then Peebles.

I live in Balerno and find the Pentlands fine for regular riding, especially as there are some nice woodland singletrack trails on the outskirts of Balerno.

druidh
    Free Member

You've already mentioned Balerno. Pentlands from the door, easy access to borders and up north, Ratho is an easy cycle and the Lang Whang for road riding

13thfloormonk

The riding is what you make of it really..

You could head through to Colinton direction which gives you access to a couple of wee trails like Craiglockhart hill (short fun trail but busy with walkers) the other Craighlockhart hill (interesting trail obscured by gorse) around the dreghorn barracks (lots of nice wee bits of trail hidden away in there) or further across to Mortonhall (more bits of trail in the trees).

I've kept myself amused in Edinburgh for years by sticking to a short travel hardtail to make the most of the skinny singletrack bits without being a drag on the easier stuff. Also just go and explore, look for areas of trees on the map and they could be full of twisty dog walking trails.

cynic-al
    Free Member

East Lothian is a hidden gem for road bikes btw.

Kit
    Free Member

jimmy – feel the same way as you. For all Edinburgh is raved about as a place to live for riding, its only great if you have a car and are willing to spend 40mins-1hr+ to drive anywhere. As you say, the Pentlands aren't inspiring regular local riding. Well, you know where I live, and I get fed-up of having to ride out through the city to the same bits of trail all the time.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Fife gives you some different options.

I live in Dunfermline and there is some nice riding from the doorstep in and around local forests. Lots of wee bits of nice trails to join up and plenty of exploring to be done. 1/2 an hour in the car gets you to the Lomonds which have some great trails or to Pitmedden which is my favourite local spot. Heading east for 1/2 an hour brings the Ochils within reach for big climbs and long descents.

Further afield, Laggan is only 1 1/2 hours and there is also a wealth of proper riding in the Central Highlands.

Pentlands or GT are also easy evening venues.

Climbing wise, not a lot, but there are two half-decent local crags – Hawcraig and the limestone blocks above Limekilns.

So in summary, you're 1/2 an hour closer to the good stuff up north and there is some pretty decent local riding too. Oh, and you can always have a night out in Edinburgh and get the Pish Head Express home!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kit / Jimmy – I disagree – I live right on the shore in leith – so about as far from the trails as you can getr but still can get to loads of different trails in an hours riding and that hours riding is all off road.

southside of the city is best for sure because of access to the pentlands and a lot of the riding I do is not of the gnarliest but there is stuff around crammond brig, thru the dalmeny estate, cammo estate and out to the east of the city along the coast as well as corstorphine hill and the other parks.

Not forgetting Holyrood park and Arthurs seat as well

I have spent years finding all the wee bits of trail – perhaps I should make up an urban singletrack map for Edinburgh

himupstairs

'Other than Corstorphine Hill, which doesn't really count'

!!

Corstorphine hill is aces! i've biked there since i was about 10, and regularly nip up for an hour two. i still manage to find ace new lines all over the hill, which although short, are brilliant as far as rooty technical rocky tight singletrack goes. lots of drops and chutes and climbs and steps and drops and rock and roots yadayadayada……..
    anyway, maybe not ideal for a long distance ride, but for hoonin around of an afternoon it's tip top.
    a wee short travel hardtail keeps it interesting too, as someone else mentioned.

*edit – as said, it can also be tied into a nice wee route out through cammo, up the river almond (where there is more really nice mint sauce type singletrack) and beyond.

Kit
    Free Member

TJ/Ian – I know a lot of the stuff you're talking about (although perhaps not as well as you!), but having ridden some of jimmy's old trails in the Peaks, there's nothing comparable up here that's so close to Edinburgh as he's used to. Wee bits of woodland singletrack around the city, and indeed even the Pentlands, are not the same as the tracks and bridleways above Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs. Dumyat/North 3rd/Ochils are probably about as close as you're going to get to that kind of riding. I can understand his frustration!

An urban singletrack map would be ace though, or you could show us personally 🙂

jimmy

think I need to work on turning the missus into a Yorkshire lass…

stanfree
    Free Member

East Lothian has loads of great wee routes , I can do a 20 mile loop and only have to ride on about 3 miles of roads . To name but a few places you have butterdean woods, pressmennan woods, new winton , Dalkeith country park not to mention the lammermuirs. Also the coastal path down to North Berwick has a few hidden gems.
    When you compare Edinburgh to Glasgow we seem really lucky to have so many good trails.

mafiafish
    Free Member

+1 for Fife, lovely peaceful place (most of it) some nice riding and trains to Ediburgh a'plenty.
    Which ever way you look at it you've got good stuff 'nearby' so I'd say go for where is nice to live rather than where is 15 minutes closer to some trails.

kennyp
    Free Member

I live in Colinton. I'm a few hundred yards from the foot of the Pentlands, and an easy drive to Glentress if I fancy that. Near perfect really.

fraseruk
    Free Member

There are a few nice (albeit fairly non-technical) trails out to the north west. I like going up the Almond from Cramond out to the airport and round to the hill at West Craigie (taking in the farm shop for tea/cake/ice cream). Dalmeny estate out to South Queensferry can be nice (if fairly sedate).

Agree with Eck that Corstorphine hill is good for a muck about but I don't think the park rangers are too happy about it – I think some guys were doing a bit of sly trail building that got some interest from the Friends of Corstorphine Hill (apparently badgers got disturbed).

There are usually a handful of jumps at the back of D. Mains park on the way home that can be worth a look.

thv3
    Free Member

Innerleithen!

I moved here from the burgh more than two years ago and haven't looked back. Still exploring and finding more and more excellent trails.

GW
    Free Member

Stanfree – unfortunately East Lothian has nothing of interest at all to someone who yearns somewhere like wharncliffe.
    Not that it's relivant to the OP but having ridden/lived in both cities the North of Glasgow has more interesting riding from the doorstep than anything Edinburgh has to offer IMO.

is Stirling too far?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Stuart's comment about Dunfermline is spot on. There's some nice trails locally which can be linked up easily. I need to get out more but the hills will still be there 😀 Trossachs are also only an hour away, if that, to add to the more 'quality' riding.

chickenman

Have come to biking from climbing; thought the "only an hour to the Tweed Valley a massive improvement on the 2+ to any crags I hadn't climbed out/could be bothered with(Dunkeld and Northumberland are the nearest good ones to Edinburgh for yourself). Once you accept you have to travel a bit there is amazing riding to be had, either North or South (2+ hours drive and a walk-in will also take you to crags like the Shelterstone, Ben Nevis and Glencoe, arguably the best british crags for your climbing needs.
    Have never biked in the Peak District; how does it work? Have only gone walking there midweek in Febuary and it was like Disneyworld in July on the bridleways?
    Hope Scotland grows on you!

chriswilk
    Free Member

having lived in Sheffield for 10 years – Walkley then Chapeltown, then moving to the Edinburgh area for the next 10, my views are:

Trials from the house were better in Sheffield for variety and content
    Trials from the house are better in Edinburgh for lack of people
    Trials from the car are better in Edinburgh
    Climbing is pish in Edinburgh compared to Sheffield – but then everywhere is.

I live in Penicuik. I find it a good compromise because:
    it has lothian busses every 10 minutes to town,
    only 5 miles off the bypass,
    Peebles is 15 miles (15 minutes in the car),
    the Pentlands / local woods on the doorstep.

Pentlands are generally not too exciting if you keep to the main tracks, but there are many hidden gems to be had that can rival the best Sheffield had to offer, except the Wharncliffe DH if that's your bag.
    If DH is your bag, then Innerleithen is about 25 mins in the car and wipes the floor with Wharncliffe.

jimmy

Thanks for your thoughts people.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘where's best to live around Edinburgh (for riding)?’ is closed to new replies.