• This topic has 101 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Where would you rather live (UK content)?
  • athgray
    Free Member

NZ for me. Spent a few months there in 2002 and loved it. Scenery was spetacular, and people were friendly. A lot of folk appeared to have quite a dry, dark sense of humour which I like.

MSP

I wonder if people who emigrate eventually tell locals about pride, stories from home etc.

You might leave but your heart doesnt. Britain with its leaden skies, complex communities, energy and passion to learn about the world can’t be beaten.

What absolute whimsical nonsense. Claiming passion to learn about the world, while displaying complete ignorance and dismissing the rich cultures that exist everywhere. It is that kind of stupid nationalistic belief in some imaginary superiority that is really damaging to nations across the world.

mugsys_m8

Not sure really. Currently live between Lyon and Grenoble in a village pretty much lost. It’s not the alps per se, it’s not picture postcard rural France… It’s more ‘normal everyday’ rural provincial France, and I’m pretty much happy with how things are. More time to play in the hills would be great: I forget how close the alps are and how lucky we are.

We came from Sheffield 5 years ago and certainly miss the Peak, and the Englissh self mocking, un-serious thinking of our mates..oh and ale. Mrs Mugsy (French, but having lived in the UK for 15 years)keeps on talking about going somewhere else in the world: I think some of it stems from her being home and being more affected by how bad ‘her’ country is in some aspects. Although I’m settled here, it’s still not ‘my’ country only my adopted country so some (not all) of the shortcomings whoosh over my head.

What we don’t miss from the UK is the overcrowding, the keeping up with the Jones’s attitude that is ingrained in the UK into families and friends and also how we become programmed by ‘the class system’ that according to some does not exist…. and then there is the NHS..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CHB

Never been, but have discussed with many people who know the states well and San Diego comes out well. Wonderful climate all year round and good facilities.
    But will likely stay in Gods Own Country. 🙂

Sandwich

retire by 50

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

I reckon the best the 30 to 55 year old group can hope for is a part-time job (3 days a week) until they die. We aren’t going to be able to retire the baby-boomers debt will need paying by us.

_tom_
    Free Member

British Columbia. Absolutely love it out there. Probably not Whistler as it’s a bit of a bubble and there’d be no chance of me getting work in my field outside of a city. And probably not Vancouver either, it was nice but 2 weeks was enough I think.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have thought about this on and off and genuinely I cannot think of any place I would rather live.

Me neither. It would break my heart to have to move abroad forever.
    I love to travel and see different places. I love the USA, Italy, Ireland. Spain is nice too. Didn’t like Australia.
    Yup, you can go to XXXXXXXXX and they have, bigger, higher, deeper, hotter, steeper, more etc, and that’s great it really is.
    But there’s one thing GB does better than anyone else and that’s pretty, quaint and comfortable.
    There’s simply nowhere on earth like it. Little thatched cottages grown into their surroundings, patchwork higgledy piggledy fields and winding roads, purple heather on the moors, brightly painted seaside towns, hazy views over the sea….. All that sort of thing.
    If I get one day, just one day, a year where I’m outside in the countryside with warm sunshine, blue skies, twittering skylarks overhead, and that rich, warm scent drifting on the breeze then it keeps me going for a year. I’d wouldn’t trade that one day for a million days elsewhere.

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon the best the 30 to 55 year old group can hope for is a part-time job (3 days a week) until they die. We aren’t going to be able to retire the baby-boomers debt will need paying by us.

You know what he earns do you?

kilo

Pretty happy in the Uk and in SW London can’t think of anywhere else in the Uk I’d like to live. There’ve been opportunities at work to get posted overseas but never felt any desire to pursue them, this is me bucking our families genetics as my parents are immigrants and both my brothers now live abroad. If we were to move it would probably be to SW Ireland but unless you’re either a bit older than we are now (retirement over there is the long term plan)or working you’d get bored soon enough.

jools182
    Free Member

I really want to live in France, either close to the Pyrénées or a small town in Provence, even Paris appeals to me

Seems pretty impossible without the language though. I’ve been going to French classes for ages and not getting very far 🙁

I keep thinking there must be a big civil engineering company based in France with a working language of English….

HansRey

Without a doubt,it’d be Hope Valley. It’s between Manc and Sheff, so employment is good. Easy access to MIA. The riding is great and there is are lots of bike clubs/groups around

robdob
    Free Member

If I get one day, just one day, a year where I’m outside in the countryside with warm sunshine, blue skies, twittering skylarks overhead, and that rich, warm scent drifting on the breeze then it keeps me going for a year. I’d wouldn’t trade that one day for a million days elsewhere.

Well said. It is amazing how that one day can keep you going for all year!

mrmo
    Free Member

Spent a couple of months in NZ and sometimes wonder. But it is a long way from anywhere, most jobs seem to be in Auckland and i don’t like big cities, and the lack of history. But still wonder sometimes.

ianv
    Free Member

If I get one day, just one day, a year where I’m outside in the countryside with warm sunshine, blue skies, twittering skylarks overhead, and that rich, warm scent drifting on the breeze then it keeps me going for a year.

Go somewhere like the pyrenees orientale and you can have 360 odd days like that per year, skylarks might have all been eaten by the eagles though.

Conqueror
    Free Member

BC, Canada
    Valencia, Spain
    Norway fascinates me despite peoples perceptions (only been to Oslo though)

Possibly bay area USA…

Nipper99
    Free Member

Lakes at the drop of a hat if i could find work there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Also on my list are:

Canada – Toronto(for business) or BC(quite life)
    Norway – (not sure if it’s good for business with small population)
    Thailand – the land of the free despite bombing in the south etc (pity I can’t speak or write Thai).

sleepless
    Free Member

We live+ play in Cumbria, could move to the Dolomites but we like our circumstances now, so holiday there instead. Lived in NZ for a bit. Nice times.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

California.

Climate, trails, tech industry, legal weed.

mightymule
    Free Member

Swaledale.

mudshark
    Free Member

Another France lover here. I reckon somewhere between Pau, Biarritz and the Spanish border. I like where I live, Surrey, but too many people and more will come.

ton

south coast of Brittany would do me.
    not too French, and near enough to pop home if I wanted.

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Where would you rather live (UK content)?’ is closed to new replies.