• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Mooly.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Where to stay on the Isle of Wight?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Family friendly town with good beaches.

Go!

cinnamon_girl

Where in the world is that?

brooess
    Free Member

Ventnor? Used to go there every year when I was a kid. Don’t know what it’s like these days though

jambalaya
    Free Member

If its a genuine beech holiday you want there’s only really Sandown

cinnamon_girl

Ha! Cheeky edit Harry. 😀

PS you need to ask hammy, he seems fond of the place. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Dontknowatchameantheremissus 😳

hammyuk
    Free Member

OI!!! Don’t you start with me CG – I’ll make you swim there..
    at night…
    with no cossie..
    and a hand towel to get dry 😆

slimjim78
    Free Member

Seaview is a lovely little place, built around Victorian origins, with plenty of secluded billiard table flat beaches a short walk through the trees (eastwards), great for beach cricket and bbqs!

A couple of great restaurants too. No kiddie attractions as such that I’m aware of but IMO the beaches and the lack of oiks is the draw.

Every year I’ve visited the IOW festival we’ve stayed here during the day and hired a shuttle taxi for runs to and from the festival.

willjones
    Free Member

My ten pence… Bembridge is great for beaches (lots of choice, quiet, but not a town packed with action), main seaside towns are a short hop away, starting with the fab beach/cliff/fossils at Yaverland and then along the coast. Make sure to pop down to Steephill cove on a sunny afternoon. If you’ve got older kids, then Cowes is good (avoid the big sailing events to keep costs down), but less choice for beaches, none of which are sandy. I’ve not heard great things about Freshwater. You can reach most of the Island pretty easily from anywhere, and there’s a real mix of cheesy seaside stuff, and just about anything else you’d want (posh cream tea at priory bay and a plod along their private beach is nice). Avoid Besitval and IoW Festival weekends because the Island is gridlocked from Newport to the East.

willjones
    Free Member

+1 for Seaview. I think it’s where the IoW’s only Ferrari resides.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Sandown – great beaches, faded resort. Shanklin much better. I grew up in Shanklin so maybe I’m prejudiced…

flashpaul
    Free Member

Shanklin is a nice place

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seaview I have been to many times for sailing events over the years, tbh didn’t know there where any beaches there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My choice is either Seaview or Bembridge. Ventors really crappy in the High St these days (full of pound shops) and yet it does retain the Victorian character of a Northern Mill Town (think green sandstone buildings)
    Seaview’s nice, open, beaches, bit pants for nightlife unless you’re 12.
    Bembridge (behind the town, is lovely in the (small) estuary behind the boat sheds, on the front it’s neatly sheltered from strong westerlies so has a shallow beach and a sort of old charm about it.
    Rydes not bad, bit pikey in the upper part of town but it does have an open beach and a few things to do (kids parks, long prom, fabulous church, great in the summer watching all the yachts play hug the sand) only downside is you get to see Southsea from the Beach 😕

Just my 11 new pence worth, of course.

Harry_the_Spider

Shanklin is looking favourite so far.

Yak

Niton is a good spot. Good access to coast, lighthouse, not far to beaches and a good pub.

Edit – it’s a village, should have read the brief properly.

Harry_the_Spider

Mrs Spider has now moved the search to Sandown.

niksnr
    Free Member

Stay away from Sandown unless you’re in to Bookies, Charity Shops, Tacky gift shops and fashion outlets for the over 70’s.
    Everywhere is within easy driving distance. Seaview, Bembridge, Freshwater Bay, Brook, Brighstone, will all offer decent accommodation. Unfortunately IOW (even though a tourist destination) has not had any adequate amount of investment for years and the larger resort towns are a bit lack lustre

Harry_the_Spider

We’re back in Shanklin now.

convert

Steephill cove. Tiny (nearest town is Ventor a mile or two up the coast) and probably a bit pricey but enchanting whenever I’ve been there.

niksnr
    Free Member

If you accidently pack your bike give me a pm nearer the time. Happy to show you where all the best spots are!! Good thing is everywhere is also within riding distance too!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Tell her its the most expensive stretch of water in the world* and that the money saved staying on the mainland with far better facilities yet staying within sight of it will pay for several evenings out/food/extra nights/theatre.

*Gosport Ferry has just taken over £/metres travelled.

DezB
    Free Member

Seaview has fantastic beaches – we stayed in this amazing place called the Northbank Hotel a few years ago. My son was so freaked out by it!
    Got a couple of pics of us riding on the beach, hopefully they’ll show up

and that spooky hotel

Mooly
    Free Member

Bembridge or Seaview for sure . Nivces part of the island . Alternatively Colwell Bay is nice and you have some great walks around to the needles over downs etc.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay on the Isle of Wight?’ is closed to new replies.