Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Where to stay near Whinlatter?
  • chestrockwell

Help required all!

My two main riding buddies and I are planning on a Whinlatter trip for this years weekend away gentle ride and beer session. We used to camp but have had use of a caravan for the last few years so are not sure we want to go back to camping.

Anyone know of any places near to Whinlatter that doesn’t cost loads, is safe to keep your bike (e.g. not Travelodge carpark) and doesn’t involve sleeping on the floor?

notlocal
    Free Member

Stayed here with a mate. Happy to store the bikes inside, and a good selection of pubs in the village selling Jennings beer. Cockerhoop is worth trying.

breadcrumb

Cockermouth has a Premier Inn, they let you take (clean) bikes into the room.

Are you planning on some natural stuff as well?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

Kirkstile Inn in Loweswater is a very nice pub. No idea on cost of rooms

Swinside used to have a nice B&B right opposite the Swinside Inn – seems to call itself a hotel these days. Again ?? cost

nobbingsford

If you can get a good deal at the Derwentwater Hotel (and ask if they have secure bike storage), it would be perfect location-wise. It’s in Portinscale which is literally at the foot of Whinlatter Forest. A short (10 min) walk into Keswick for pubs and restaurants, etc.

I think they have self-catering apartments too.

duncancallum

Lane foot campsites have pods so you can glamp

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

We have stayed at Keswick reach lodge Retreat a few times. If booked at the right time when there is a deal on it can be quite cheap. It’s just the other side of Bassenthwaite so 15-20mim Drive but it work well for us as you can cook if you wish or as a restaurant on site if you don’t want to leave to go and eat.

We just put an old blanket down and put the bikes in the living room.

Home

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Thornthwaite gallery has a couple of cottages very near whinlatter.. Seen a few people park near here and ride in to avoid the parking fee

chestrockwell

Thanks all, I’ll go and check out the suggestions.

nbt

We stayed in the Cockermouth Travelodge. Clean bikes in the room is fine, we had a tandem so had to leave it on the car but they let us park outside reception with CCTV video coverage, and it’s right behind the police station

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cockermouth local here…the Gallery at Thornthwaite is really nice. Couple of pubs in Braithwaite and a nice Hotel in Portinscale. Loads of places in keswick. Cockermouth will be cheaper but it’s about 20 minutes in the car. I know a few XC type routes from Cockermouth if you want.

malv173
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at the youth hostel in Keswick. They had a locked bike shed,  and it was pretty cheap. Basic, but did the job. There were three of us and we just got a four bed room between us.

drob59
    Free Member

Lakeside Country Guest House4-star
    Bassenthwaite Lake, Keswick, Cockermouth, England, CA13 9YD. Proprietors are both bikers (road and mtb). Garage for secure storage. I have just returned from an excellent 4 night stay. Whinlater 10 mins away. Highly recommended.

jekkyl

Any of the BnBs In Keswick.

chestrockwell

Thanks all, I’ll report back!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay near Whinlatter?’ is closed to new replies.