Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Where to stay in Manchester…
  • PrinceJohn

Heading up there for a gig in March at the Academy (the one at the uni) can anyone give me any pointers on where to stay nearby?

globalti
    Free Member

Er… a hotel? Manchester now has plenty of them at all prices including several in the Oxford Road area.

Garry_Lager

The midland hotel is a very grand building in the centre, but is not that expensive – prob get a room for £100. Nice place to stay – 15 min walk from the academy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Book somewhere on Canal Street.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’d just go on laterooms.com. city centre accom is pretty expensive as you’d expect. So if outside the city centre then just make sure it’s near a tram stop

The curfew on the metrolink trams is later on Fri or sat night (1am IIRC) so if it’s a weekend gig then you’ve got more flexibility and can avoid a taxi

edhornby

What ever looks good on the budget you set for yourself really, the usual suspects in the city centre are all fine and even if it wasn’t very close to the venue it’s easy enough to get a bus along the oxford rd corridor, or some walking if you’re enthusiastic.

There is an EasyHotel if you need really cheap.

cb

Laterooms is no more…

Altrincham is one option if a weekend. Easy on the tram and a big Travelodge which tends to be cheap at weekends. Mid week and it may be different with business users etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Motel One is nice and reasonably affordable for the city centre.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

we stayed in the Premier Inn, Manchester Central ISTR.

It does what it says on the tin. Whether you like what it says is down to you but we had no complaints.

BillMC

Motel One if you can’t get a good price at the Midland

duncancallum

Not sashas unless your skint.

Just booking.com it.

petec
    Free Member

last time i was at a conference in manchester, i stayed at the Jury’s Inn.

Pleasant enough, cheap enough, quiet enough etc.

Couple of decent pubs next door as well; briton’s protection, and peveril of the peak if memory serves. Spent far too long in both

chestrockwell

We stayed at Staycity Aparthotels when we went to see Shed Seven in December. Cheap, modern and directly outside Piccadilly station. Recommended.

Cletus

Avoid the Merchants Hotel – sample review

“So me and my partner booked here for tonight for my birthday as we was going out around Manchester however we have just got back home and our night out is now non existent yes it’s a budget hotel but my God this is something else the room was freezing as the window didn’t shut properly the bed sheets had poo stains on them and the mould on walls and the window is just shocking we was put in room 21 I’m itchy as anything after being in there for the whole of 20 mins the toilet was very loose too I would avoid at all costs”

BadlyWiredDog

Depends on what you want. For ultimate spartan cheapness there’s the EasyHotel in the Northern Quarter. Minimal boxes in quite a cool old building. Basically a bed, shower, loo. You wouldn’t pick it out for ambience or luxury, but if you just want somewhere to sleep, it does the job.

jree
    Free Member

Easyhotel as above. Cheap and cheerful. Bang in the middle of the best part of town and a stone throw from Piccadilly and the village which is also good fun.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Travelodge Manchester Didsbury. Near tram and bus routes for nearby Didsbury and further afield Manchester. Bit left field but maybe an option.

PrinceJohn

Any opinions on the Travelodge at SportCity?

Cletus

OP how are you arriving? – I would recommend staying in the city centre but not all hotels have parking.

binners

If you want to see a vision of a dystopian future reminiscent of 28 days later…

Sports City was also called Eastlands. Its actually known locally as Wastelands

mrsheen
    Free Member

Binners, do you know Fred T? Apologies if I’ve mistook your username.

johndoh
    Free Member

Unless it has been refurbed recently, I would avoid the Travelodge in the centre. The Premier Inn is infinitely better (in fact I find that usually they are the better option).

richardkennerley

Travelodge upper Brook street for gigs at the academy.

white101

I generally stop in one of the ibis, decent value and the rooms are fine. Easy walking to anywhere in town from either although the one on Princess Street probably more suitable

johnx2
    Free Member

We stayed here last time we were at a manc gig. Similar walk to venue and northern quarter, (also near canal st). Made mistake of checking out a few bars after the gig, in the rough bit behind Piccadilly (as the northern quarter will always be to me). Cue dancing until half two/three, and fusing all the electrics in our hotel room on return in the course of a playful altercation (I was on the bed one moment, hitting the radiator the next, and all the lights went out). Given it was four by then, decided to let them know in the morning and they were able to flick the necessary switch. Johnx2 isn’t my real name.

Anyway, nice place. Breakfast’s a bit basic but the bar’s lively and the restaurant much better than it needs to be. Radiators could be bouncier.

coynie09
    Free Member

Stayed here Manchester Upper Brook Street https://goo.gl/maps/5642sFxPUzuyXwyC7 a few times after Academy gigs

fossy

Abel Heywood in NQ, 30 mins from Academy. Fab pub with nice rooms. About £80

Native apart hotel. Had a fab apartment here approx £120, 20 mins.

Whats your budget. Stayed in the travel lodge just off Blackfriars (other side of town) for £29 recently

Depends upon how near you want to be to the Academy.

chestrockwell

Stayed there when we went to see Coldplay at Man City a few years back. It was tatty even by Travelodge standards but was clean enough and had a decent carpark.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay in Manchester…’ is closed to new replies.