Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Where to ride near Newport Pembrokeshire?
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

Some friends are staying in Newport west Wales next weekend and I’m planning to visit.

Any suggestions for MTB routes or locations within 30 min drive? I’m thinking Preselli hills and maybe the Gwaun valley but there must be others

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Some good riding from Newport itself. Head along the A487 towards Dinas, turn left up the bridleway just before Dinas Cross, up the Bstard steep concrete track lots of options across the toot Carnigli or you can head down into the Gwaun for a pint at Bessie’s. If you want to go big, you can then head up the bridleway at the Eastern end of the Gwaun to GelliFawr and up onto the Presilis or round the southern edge of Foel Eryr and back down into the Gwaun. Whichever route can then take to to the Bridleway at the Eastern end of the Gwaun, which head the steep track past farms to skirt round Carnigli, where its possible to get cheeky.
    Bear in mind Newport is full of retired teachers who love telling you off. A cheery smile and reply in Welsh sees em right.

nickjb
    Free Member

Go riding somewhere on the way or way back rather than in area. Much better options then. When you get there go for a walk and wildlife watching.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Thanks guys, the straight out of the door and over the top option to Bessie’s sounds ideal.

jkomo

I stayed at Aberforest beach. Between Dinas and Newport. Loads of bridle paths just take any muddy looking turning up the hill. I used one of those OS map apps. I was on my rigid bike and it was good but hard going, with anything else it’ll be quite good fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride near Newport Pembrokeshire?’ is closed to new replies.