Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Where to ride near Manchester?
  • jim25

So im off to work just outside Manchester for 6 weeks, never riden around there before and will have plenty of time to kill.

Will take both xc and dh bikes up so keen to ride allsorts and some night riding during the week.

Wheres good to go and fairly local?

hora
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you working/staying?

loddrik
    Free Member

Gisburn

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bregante
    Junkyard
    Free Member

depends what side of Manc tbh as to where is best
    Quicker to llandegla than Gisburn from manc

Harry_the_Spider

Monday Night Pub Ride is where the cool kids are.

Usually out of Prestwich (4 miles north of the centre) with visits to other exotic locations all within about 30mins drive.

spxxky

I recommend the river Irwell or the Manchester ship canal – both are probably drier than the surrounding land 🙁

AlexSimon

Clayton Vale near enough in the centre

Lee/Cragg quarry – 30mins drive to the north
    Lots of ‘natural’ trails around Rivington/Pennine bridleway/etc

Marple/Roman Lakes about 20mins drive south

Further south you’ve got the whole of the Peak District

hora
    Free Member

If South or East of Manchester- Only the Peaks will do.

If North Manchester – Tod, Hebden, Rivington or the Peaks.

I’d recommend staying away from Urmston, Bury or Prestwich- very rough places.

binners

Has anyone mentioned….

Loads of riding to be had north of the city. Rivington, Darwen and Rammy, out to Blackstone Edge. You’ve got Lee and Cragg quarries up there too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah depends which side, to the north you have Rivington and the West Pennine Moors, some great XC riding but boggy in places. Healy Nab for a short DH track. Harder stuff hidden away.

South of Manc, you’ve got Farmer John’s for DH – not that I’ve made it there myself yet.

I’m often available to ride at odd times if you want showing round Rivvy.

jekkyl

Lee Quarry. Drive to the peaks/degla/cannock/lakes?

Bregante

I’d recommend staying away from Urmston, Bury or Prestwich- very rough places

And we know how you like to avoid anything rough don’t we? Along with those nasty horrid cobbles.

hora
    Free Member

Don’t you dare mention cobbles, I’ll sizzle, fizzle and die

binners

Hora – come over to ours and ride down Rooley Moor Road, flat out, on a hard tail. You’d love it 😀

jim25

Great stuff, lots of suggestions there.

We’re working in Stockton Heath, so nearer Warrington than Manchester.
    Driving up form London Monday afternoon, so might night make monday night club.

Have rear alot about Lee Quarry before, didn’t realise it was that close, so should will head there to at least see whats on offer, leave that to a weekend though prob.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Slight hijack – Hora are you far from Stockport? When you next over the peak way?

matt1986
    Free Member

Macclesfield Forrest is good there is a nice xc loop and a DH track. Marple Roman lake is good as is Hobson’s moor and over to Dovestones is fun as well.

edhornby

you could have an evening blat round Delamere forest, relatively simple to get to from warrington although you need to keep your eye out for the trails that criss cross the fireroads

if you want a long ride there is the mary townley loop

hora
    Free Member

Mosey tomorrow am and next Sat if good?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Tomorrow I’m tied up but next Saturday sounds great if you don’t mind me tagging along? Is Pook riding?

First I need to do some internal brake cable routing! This will end in tears!

ryderredman
    Free Member

Somehow nobody has said Farmer Johns! Email me if you fancy a riding buddy for DH, I’m not the greatest but need the practice 🙂

Edit > chapaking did I just can’t read

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Chakaping did further up mate 🙂

ryderredman
    Free Member

Showed me up good and proper

MartynS

Macc Forrest dh track is an event/invite only thing, they have chains across it unless something’s on, likewise farmer johns is on private land, don’t know if its a turn up and ride or another event only type place

There’s a bunch of us that ride in marple area fairly regularly, Thursday night ride, and weekends.
    Mail in profile if you want!!

bigpole
    Free Member

There’s a night ride out of Stockton heath every Tues 7pm with a local group see http://www.warringtonrevolutionmtb.co.uk

hora
    Free Member

Mosey Pook is now heavily involved in the crookes Gay & Lesbian festival unfortunately

If its an Orange – run the dongle end of a brake cable through first then the outer fed over this. Then remove the brake cable.

Sats good

loddrik
    Free Member

Stockton Heath puts you right close to delamere or close to n Wales riding.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Meta am Hora.

Always knew he’d end up engrossed in the festival!

hora
    Free Member

Same principle. Clarkes cableis stiff enough/great for entry. Same with Pooks hobby really.

Pook

You guys….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha ok I’ll give it a try, the brakes not Pook’s hobby, tomorrow.

Cheers mate

jim25

bigpole – Member
    There’s a night ride out of Stockton heath every Tues 7pm with a local group see http://www.warringtonrevolutionmtb.co.uk

THat sounds ideal! do you ride with them? what sort of riding is it?

bigpole
    Free Member

Yup I ride with Warrington revolution…the rides are mostly off road and take in the best routes that Warrington has to offer, which ain’t mega! but takes in Daresbury firs which is a peach of a play area.
    Warrington is flat but we try and take in all the climbs we can. Check out warrington revolution Facebook page for rides times etc ( there are weekend rides round Wales peaks lakes also)

ratherbeintobago

I’d recommend staying away from Urmston, Bury or Prestwich- very rough places.

Bury? Really? Compared with such delights as Rochdale, Oldham and Crumpsall?

bigpole
    Free Member

Yup I ride with Warrington revolution…the rides are mostly off road and take in the best routes that Warrington has to offer, which ain’t mega! but takes in Daresbury firs which is a peach of a play area.
    Warrington is flat but we try and take in all the climbs we can. Check out warrington revolution Facebook page for rides times etc ( there are weekend rides round Wales peaks lakes also)

jim25

Great, I’ll prob see you next tuesday then

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride near Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.