Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Where to ride in the south?
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Planning an away day for my birthday next month, but where should I go?

Prerequisites are nice woody singletrack, a good pub lunch and no more than 2 hours drive from Salisbury. Would like to go to the lakes, but it seems a bit far for a day trip. Plus I’d probably break myself…

I have a GPS, so any specific routes would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Rich

peteimpreza

Swinley Forest pending pub availability.

What are you doing on Saturday?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Isle of Wight.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Quantocks, Mendips, Dartmoor (Buckfastleigh area)?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Had thought of Swinley, not been there. Where is it? Easy to find your way around? Am encouraging a mate back into biking this Sat, is that the STW group ride?

Have been to the Quantocks a few times and enjoyed it, so that could be a goer. Did get abuse on here for going the wrong way up a coombe that EVERYONE rides down (weacombe I think).

Dartmoor sounds good, but I don’t drive that fast 🙂

Cheers for the suggestions guys, keep them coming…

dobo
    Free Member

the purbecks aren’t exactly woody but there is some great riding and scenery and a couple of pubs to choose from

peteimpreza

Yes this Saturday is the group ride. All welcome.

IHN

Cotswolds? Can show you around a bit if you like.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Have been to the Quantocks a few times and enjoyed it, so that could be a goer. Did get abuse on here for going the wrong way up a coombe that EVERYONE rides down (weacombe I think).

Sounds more like Smiths, get a local to guide you around, there’s a lot more to the Quantocks than you first think.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sadly, six months of competitve pie eating and heavy smoking (read: bloater likely to puke on a slight incline!)mean that group rides must consist solely of people who can rescucitate me at the top of the climbs…

Have ridden a fair bit on the purbecks, but only really on loops from sandbacks out to Worth Matravers and back. Is there much good stuff west of Corfe dobo?

IHN

Sadly, six months of competitve pie eating and heavy smoking (read: bloater likely to puke on a slight incline!)mean that group rides must consist solely of people who can rescucitate me at the top of the climbs…

No probs, I’m used to riding with Pete 😉

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

My vote would be for the Isle of Wight. Some good pubs, loads of trails and a boat trip to boot….

peteimpreza

“IHN – Member

No probs, I’m used to riding with Pete “

And its me who is the one trained to use a defribulator.

Del

if i can do guildford to exeter in just over 2 hours salisbury to dartmoor is easy done.

IHN

Really? Cool!

Clear!

BA-DUMP!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yeah, come on the Swinley bikey on Saturday. It’ll be loads of fun. I don’t think we’ll be going at whippet speed!

Nettles, how’s your hernia? All healed up?

IHN

Yes thanks, the bionic groin is fully functional.

Philby

Forest of Dean or Quantocks would be my recommendations.

bikey
    Free Member

Forest of Dean would be my recomendation as well. Plenty of woods and flowing single track to blast through. Also not too much of a major drive from Salisbury. I am happy to show you around if you fancy a meet up? Also there are plenty of really knowledgable FOD locals that post on here that I am sure will be more that happy to be your guide for the day? (psling who posts on here is a top bloke and a good local guide)

If you fancy some riding on the South Downs then that could be an option as well, although not so many wooded sections as you were after.

Matt

Muke
    Free Member

As Rudeboy said …..Sounds like you need to try the STW group ride this weekend @ Bracknell.Swinley Forest is a great place (its not that far from you J3 M3) and is even better with someone to show you around the best bits.
    I’m sure its not about how fit/fast you are its more about having a laugh and getting out on your bike.
    Maybe see you there ?

cinnamon_girl

Yep, come to Swinley Forest! It’s not often that people get the opportunity to be led around a forest by two gorgeous girlies 😀

I’m looking after the sick, lame and lazy folk so you’re more than welcome to join my group!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve got terrible wind, that is really quite debilitating atm, does that mean I can be in the sick, lame and lazy group?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride in the south?’ is closed to new replies.