Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Where to ride in South Peak District… need to organise a group ride
  • i_like_food

I’ve been asked to organise a group ride for a friends surprise 30th birthday party (it’s a surprise unless he reads this).

It’s based out of a cottage about 5 miles NW of Ashbourne (DE6 2BB just north of Calton). I’d like something about 20-30km that would be suitable for experienced (but not ninja standard) riders and (big ask) which we wouldn’t need to drive to. Failing that any help would do. I’m happy to buy a guide if you know one that will have a suitable ride in.

I’d really appreciate any help from locals or people who know the area.

Thanks.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’ve asked this question and it seems to get asked on a regular basis. Someone must know some good rides in the south of the peak.

Esme
    Free Member

Loads of bike trails on disused railway lines (Manifold, Tissington, etc), but you obviously want more than that. Beware of the bridleway running from Grindon to Warslow, it can get extremely muddy. Sorry, that’s not actually much help!

justa
    Free Member

hmm I’ve never found much around there tbh…..

MartynS

get the white peak V graphics book.

The 5 dales ride is a corker 36k some great single track, and quite easy to follow, Starts in Bakewell, so not to far away. I know you said you don’t want to drive, but it is worth it!!

When you going to be there??

i_like_food

Thanks Martyn S. I’ll be there over the bank holiday weekend (so it’ll be quiet then!).

Esme – that is helpful! Thanks.

In lieu of anything good there could anyone follow up MartynS and suggest the closest ‘proper’ ride they would do?

will
    Free Member

Ambergate, Crich, along the canal, up sheep pasture incline to black rocks, then back down and around. I’ll have a look on a map for you. You would have to drive, but is a good ride, around 16 miles, takes about 2.5 hours depending on speed etc…

alexpalacefan

Hi there, as the previous posters have said, there’s not much worth doing in that area.

I am in the process of setting up a guiding company, and would be happy to take you out, no charge!! I can do the Sunday 3rd if that’s of any interest.

Formerly a professional archaeologist, so I can add in some archaeological points of interest, visits to sites etc. too. Nothing to get in the way of the riding though :0

In return, a few photos et c. for my website.

As has already been mentioned, you will probably end up with a short drive.

e-mail me if you’re intersted.

alexb1636 AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk

cheers

Alex

i_like_food

Thanks Will, that would be great 🙂

Alex that’s a very generous offer. I just need to confirm that day that the weekend organiser wants the ride (Sat or SUn) and I’ll get back to you asap.

abductee
    Free Member

Here’s one I made earlier.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Manifold-Circle

I haven’t ridden it so I can’t tell you if it’s any good or not but I bet someone on this forum has. Opinions???

StuF

I’d second Ambergate and out to black rock. Ambergate is more wooded and steep (some very steep).

i_like_food

Thanks for all the help… I’ve just received the White Peak guide that was recommended and will look up the routes that have been suggested.

Here’s hoping for good weather!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride in South Peak District… need to organise a group ride’ is closed to new replies.