Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Where to ride in South America
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I have an opportunity to do a week or so in South America just after Christmas, I was going to have more time and travelling around Colombia, Bolivia, Peru etc but have been cut short so I figure the best thing is to explore maybe just 1 or 2 areas well on a bike and defer the big trip to next year

I like the idea of riding some stuff from the EWS in Chile but can’t find anything on Google in the way of guiding etc for those tracks, most of the stuff I’m finding is XC oriented. I’m fit enough for some big rides but would like to cover as much vertical as possible so I’d like as much uplift/vehicle support as possible and the most remote riding possible, and something where I can spend a day or 2 on the coast diving at the end of it

I doubt I can get all the above without some compromise or massive cost so all suggestions welcome, there doesn’t seem to be a massive amount of info out there

peekay

I was in Chile earlier in the year and did a bit of research on riding, unfortunately dates didn’t work out so I stopped before confirming anything. There looked to be a scene around Santiago with a few good bike shops dotted about. There are some ski resorts with lifts that open through the summer months. I think that the Trans Andes race is organised by Santiago area guiding companies and shops. Best bet seems to be to find a decent bike shop online and call / email for info on guiding if you can’t find anything online.
    Valparaíso ( on the coast near Santiago) seemed to have a few shops and I saw a few bikes on cars and several people riding through town with big bikes and full armour. Redbull do an urban downhill in the city.

From my Internet searches, Pucón in the Chilean Lake District also seemed to be a big bike /outdoors centre.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers Pekay, yeah I guessed there might be something around Valparaiso with the Cerro Abajo. Also a great dive spot apparently so may be a winner. I’ll get onto some bike shops

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride in South America’ is closed to new replies.