Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to ride in Sheffield (or nearby)?
  • IdleJon

I’m in need of some advice. I’m in Sheffield next week with a day spare, so I’m taking my HT. Where are the best trails for an afternoon’s riding? I can drive out to them, but don’t want to drive too far.. I’ve heard of Grenoside, Lady’s Canning, Wharncliffe etc but which is the best use of my time and where do I start?

Thanks in advance!

fathomer

Depending on how long you’ve got and if you’re happy following a map or gpx, I’d do the Lady Cannings, Stannage, Blaka Moor loop.

iamanobody
    Free Member

What day?

IdleJon

Wednesday. At present I’ve got the whole day to ride, but that may change!

jeffl

Ladybower loop would be my preference.

Ladybower Loop

iamanobody
    Free Member

I’m free Tuesday 😢

JonEdwards
    Free Member

What kind of riding are you after?

Greno has 3 waymarked redish bike park trails, each a minute or 2 long. Across the road is Wharncliffe which is full of unmarked techgnar riding, but you’ll spend a lot of time pushing back up/hunting for bits

If you want a more XC ride, head westbound- find Endcliffe Park and head up the obvious cycle path that turns into Porter Brook. At the top turn left and you’ll find Lady Cannings just past The Norfolk Arms. There’s a pair of blue trails there. Then you can head off along Houndkirk Road to Fox House. If you want a long ride, look up the Eastern Moors loop – takes in Baslow, Curbar & Froggatt Edges. Or there’s a few fun descents in and around Blackamoor (devils elbow, piper house etc).

Some stuff is on Trailforks. The Vertebrate Graphics Peak District book has the classic bits in, or get an OS Map and it all becomes pretty obvious.

IdleJon

What kind of riding are you after?

I live in south Wales so am happy with most ‘techgnar’ riding, but equally happy to ride a good xc loop. I’ll get an OS map and might use your loop suggestion. Ta!

grannyjone
    Free Member

Riding across the Hathersage Edges is often a good one – Stanage, Baslow, Froggatt, Curbar Edges. Can easily link these up with Devils Elbow, Lady Cannings, Stanage Plantation, Sheep Skulls and a few more which I can’t remember the name of.

Something similar to this Loop I did in March
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2235038745

Or this one in May:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2404826897
    (I’m not sure if Burbage Edge was worth it, often way too techy uphill that it becomes a pain at times, there’s an easy track adjacent to it)

IdleJon

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I thought I’d let you know what I did..

It was a much shorter ride than I was planning because I’d not realised that the Welsh game was on so late and then had to make few phone calls. I started in the car park underneath Lady Canning’s, rode Blue Steel and then headed around the Redmire reservoirs over Stanage Edge. At this point a windy day became storm force for a few minutes, which coincided with me trying to spot the BW over the Edge. I was blown over (just onto the track not over the edge!) and the visor of my helmet ripped off a few minutes later. That’s never happened before!

I dropped down to the car park below the edge in rain which got steadily heavier until it was torrential, so I hid under a tree for twenty minutes. By this time I doubted I’d find my way down Devils Elbow and back to the car in the time I’d allowed, so I used the road back to Lady Stannings and ride both blues again.

I thoroughly enjoyed! Nothing too taxing, and it was easy enough to navigate. If I’m back in this part of the world I’ll extend the loop.

Just to add that I stayed near the ice rink. I had a quick spin along NCN6 last night. What a dump that part of town is! I must remember to stay in the leafier west side of Sheffield if I come back. 😁

chevychase

Work in sheff, ride a lot in hte peak. Definitely head around Hope/Edale/Ladybower over the other options tbh.

edit: doh! you’ve already been 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride in Sheffield (or nearby)?’ is closed to new replies.