Where to ride in Peaks?

Home Forum Bike Forum Where to ride in Peaks?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to ride in Peaks?
  • tinytim

As title really.

We’ll be based near Hope for the weekend and free on sunday. What should we do?

Ta muchly

will

Up to Rshop edge, along and down to hayfield, then over to Jacobs Ladder, back to Edale.

Or the classic ladybower/lockerbrook/Hagg Farm/ The beast loop.

Sure somebody who is clever will be able to sort some maps out for you 🙂

Don’t miss The Beast, it’s just the best.

will

It is, infact i might go there on sunday lol 🙂

tinytim

Thanks Will,
    Where do we start?
    Grid refs?
    Impressed by rapid responses!

gingerflash

We might be able to show you round.

Are you fit and fast or fat and feeble? We’re very much the latter at the moment but we could show you a 20 mile route from Hope, taking in Beast, Ladybower, Hagg farm etc.

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber
    will

tinytim – Member
    Thanks Will,
    Where do we start?
    Grid refs?
    Impressed by rapid responses!

I start at Hope train station, as i get the train from Sheffield.

Into Hope, then at the spar turn right, follow that road over a little bridge, then infront of you there is a dead end road, go up there and keep going until you hit a gate, through the gate and your on the Roman Road then, up there to Hope Cross. Once there turn right, and then your there at teh beast, keep following that track all the way to the road, that climb back upto Hagg farm/lockerbrook, follow that and you at brought out at Ladybower. Then round the res, and your home 🙂

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

anybody fancying a ride that includes the beast tomorrow? get a bunch of us out?

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

ah sorry, just re-read OP is only available sunday

tinytim

Thanks chaps, sounds great.

On stag do in Tideswell which isn’t quite Hope now I look a the map…

Thanks for all suggestions and invites. I’m more at the fat and feeble end of the scale (well, not that fat) but certainly the older I get the better I was sort of thing. Will get a map on the way there.

Sadly can’t view the video as at work but at least now have a better idea of where to head. Which bridleway is the beast? (rapid responses please as about to get into car!!)

Thanks again for extreme helpfulness!

Tim

gingerflash

This is the Beast.

I think we’ll be in the area on Sunday, so if you want a guide, let me know.

went up the beast yesterday

she’s looking mighty fine

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I’ll be around on Sunday too if you want some company/route guiding out of Hope. Fit new disc pads, it’s wet and gritty out there at the moment!
    jamesATbeastwayDOTcom

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Oh and the first route that Will suggested (Rushup/Hayfield/Jacobs Ladder/Edale) is a fine idea but the wrong way round.
    Go Hope -> Edale and UP Jacobs, Rushup is also far better heading back towards Mam Tor. IMHO. Easy to fit in a diversion from there round to the excellent Cavedale descent as well, get back to Hope that way.

i wouldn’t bother with Chapel Gate at the moment, it’s a nightmare. fingers crossed it gets de-classified soon

grahamt1980

Where abouts is the cavedale descent?
    Cheers
    Graham

will

crazy-legs – Member
    Oh and the first route that Will suggested (Rushup/Hayfield/Jacobs Ladder/Edale) is a fine idea but the wrong way round.
    Go Hope -> Edale and UP Jacobs, Rushup is also far better heading back towards Mam Tor. IMHO. Easy to fit in a diversion from there round to the excellent Cavedale descent as well, get back to Hope that way.

I agree actually. I have always been one for going down Jacob’s Ladder, but for the first time a couple of weeks ago i did it the way you said. Got to admit it was much better!

Cavedale descent leads right into Castleton, so you should be able to find it. It’s bloody difficult, I can tell you that. I did manage to ride the whole if it last time, but with about 5 stops to pick a route and get courage up. Much more beastly than the beast 🙂

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Cavedale descent starts at GR 135813 (marked Limestone Way) but the first km or so is easy rolling grass with a few lumps and tussocks and rocky bits. You then pass through a gate and all hell breaks loose, it’s steep and very rocky and will be very wet at the moment.
    It’s do-able in one go, I’ve cleared it no dabs in the past but it’s about 50:50 whether I’m able to ride it or not. Best descent in the Peaks IMHO, a proepr technical challenge.
    From there, turn R and it’s an easy wind-down spin on road back to Hope.

tinytim

thanks everyone.

In the end we just went up and down Jacobs ladder, hangovers restricting further ride!

Does anyone know anyone who has ridden all the way up? Tommy & I pushed most of the way wheras Max almost rode the whole thing. Hindered slightly by loose cleat and wind blowing the wrong way…

So has anyone ridden it without dabs?

Good fun on the way down…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride in Peaks?’ is closed to new replies.