Where to ride enroute from Calais/Dunkirk to La Thuile/Les Arcs

Home Forum Bike Forum Where to ride enroute from Calais/Dunkirk to La Thuile/Les Arcs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Where to ride enroute from Calais/Dunkirk to La Thuile/Les Arcs
  • lucien

Metabief quite a fun run / day out, easy access, nice village, massive car park at the bottom of the gondola, tickets as single run, half day or full day. Link here Metabief

Premier Icon FieldMarshall
    Subscriber

Thanks.

That looks like a good option.

Subscriber

Asked this on a previous thread and we were all set for pushing on and getting to Seez for lunchtime to get the Escudets lift up to ride the Zitteu Ridge trail and some other nearby stuff.

Anyway found out that the lift (in fact all lifts at Rossiere) are only open Sun to Thur, which has put an end to that.

So now thinking of possibly riding Lac Blanc, but heard it is a. quite technical and b. very busy.

So looking for other recommendations for en-route, where it would be easy to pitch up for half a day and ride on well marked trails with uplift. Ultimately we want to get to La Thuile for Sun, so happy to drive through Switzerland and stop there en-route if need be.

I have Rowens book and looked at World Bike Park, but there are lots of options so not sure where to start.

Looking for something not too full on for the first day. Grateful for any recommendations.

Subscriber

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

ianv

Lac Blanc is really busy (weekends are mad).

Which way do you intend to drive, if you are dropping down to Grenoble and then back up, there is a fair few small parks really close to Grenoble; Villars de Lans, Les 7 laux and Chamrousse.

atlaz

Lac Blanc is not REALLY that busy. I went on the opening weekend and the queues were probably 15 minutes for the lifts. Last summer, on weekends the queues were much shorter and if you go when it’s pissing it down (like I did 3 weeks ago), there’s no queues at all 😉

The runs are not super technical but there’s some tough sections on the reds and above but nothing you shouldn’t be able to ride if you take the easier of the option sections. My 2nd run down I ended up on the black through a mix of stupidity and inattention and it was fine. Anything really dangerous is well signposted and, if the worst happens, they have a very prompt air ambulance that I’ve seen picking up every single visit i’ve made apart from the torrential rain day.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

There is a free bus from Bourg to the bottom of the Escudets lift, BTW.

bland

Another gem is saint Pierre de chartrouse out the back of Grenoble, again more of a locals place like lac blanc so guaranteed to be quiet and more technical than the main resorts. Lac blanc is great as you can get there early with a 2am ferry ride and then drive on to bourg after, sleep is just detail! Have a look on big bike’s French website as there is a guide to all the resorts. To be honest go to any though and for the first day you will have fun!

The fenicular is open on Saturdays in bourg you know, and the lift from 1600

ianv

Lac Blanc is not REALLY that busy. I went on the opening weekend and the queues were probably 15 minutes for the lifts. Last summer, on weekends the queues were much shorter and if you go when it’s pissing it down (like I did 3 weeks ago), there’s no queues at all

when I went, it was raining and the queues were 15/20 mins minimum. Thats a very long time when compared with anywhere else other than the Planey. Its is also a long time when you consider the length of the runs.

Its a nice little park and would be enjoyable if not crowded, but the queueing did my head in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride enroute from Calais/Dunkirk to La Thuile/Les Arcs’ is closed to new replies.