Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where to park in Newcastle?
  • jeffl

Looking at doing the C2C in a few weeks time. Plan is to drive up to Newcastle, dump car, get train to Whitehaven and cycle back. So any recommendations of where to park the car in Newcastle near to the train station for a couple of nights?

Drac

Can I just point out the C2C doesn’t finish in Newcastle but I’m sure you knew this?

City Centre parking is expensive, the cheapest is St James’ Stadium not sure how safe it’ll be overnight though.

Swelper
    Free Member

Ive parked my car at one of the Hotels (which there are one or two now) at the North End of Team Valley. Free and CCTV, a wee ride up Bensham Bank or along the river into the Centre for the train station.

Where are you planning on finishing as Drac says C2C doesn’t finish in Newcastle

jeffl

Finishing in Tynemouth but we’re gonna be a bit short of time on the drop off day so ideally want to park near the station. Then we can cycle back from Tynemouth to Newcastle upon our return.

I assume you have to be using the hotel to park there? We’re not planning on staying overnight at Newcastle so that may not be viable.

lemonysam
    Free Member

The parking along Railway Street down past The Globe’s the nearest free parking I know to the station – should be fine to leave your car there overnight.

butcher

The hotels around Team Valley aren’t a bad shout actually. It’s a massive industrial estate, so parking isn’t really an issue and no one is likely to kick up a fuss. They’d be unlikely to notice… It is however 2 or 3 miles to ride into town…

There’s some ropey areas you could park closer for free. Depends what kind of car you drive and how much you value it 🙂 (edit: see lemonysam’s suggestion….can be difficult getting a space during the day though)

Or there’s some secure car parks dotted around the city centre, some with 24 hour security. Depends how much you want to pay? The city centre isn’t an easy place to park without paying tbh.

teethgrinder

Park at Wylam station – 8-9 miles further west, but the station has a free car park, and you can ride the Keelman’s way to get there. Also right net to the Boat House – awesome pub for ale.

jonba
    Free Member

Between the river and Scotswood road near the metro arena would also be my suggestion for free on street parking. Never had an issue but never left my car there for a few days.

You might also be able to park around the Cycle Hub. There is on and off street parking around there and I don’t remember there being restrictions. Maybe they can help you?

I’m about 5 miles north and on street permit parking so not much help.

northshoreniall

Times Square multi behind Centre for Life – not especially cheap at £12/24hr but close to station and 24hr security and worth it if value motor and handiness for station.
    I’m in Heaton, ok on street for free, between Tynemouth and town, could be handy.

roblane65
    Free Member

google maps railway st and penn st 2 minutes from station no parking restrictions lots of small businesses so cctv fairly safe as lots of activity from Tynemouth metro runs back direct to central ststion every 20 minutes. 😀

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Park at Wylam station – 8-9 miles further west, but the station has a free car park

Nope, there’s a charge now. Only £2/day, though.

eddie11
    Free Member

Roblane65 has it except note the metro doesn’t take bikes.

ninfan
    Free Member

near the metro arena

IIRC, you can park at the metro arena car park for about a fiver a day – very secure and lots of cameras.

Xylene
    Free Member

WYlam is a good suggestion, or park it outside the free trade pub at the end of the quayside, free parking and good beer

oliverd1981
    Free Member

having to ride / get the train back to Wylam after finishing the c2c might be a bit of a PITA.

park it outside the free trade pub

Not a bad shout – probably about as close to the city centre as you’re likely to get free parking on the east side. doubt there’s much security avialble, but it’s a lot less dicey than the on street parking around the Arena.

ChrisHeath

City centre parking isn’t expensive if you use one of the council multi-storeys. Either Grainger Town or the Quayside multi are £5 per 24 hours, or £3 on sunday. Grainger Town has 24 hour security, and the Quayside closes at midnight.

I quite often leave a car in the Quayside car park overnight on a Saturday night. I wouldn’t leave the car overnight parked on a city centre street. Up to you though.

GrahamS

Park at Wylam station – 8-9 miles further west, but the station has a free car park

Nope, there’s a charge now. Only £2/day, though.

Yep. Memorial car park (the other side of the bridge from the station) is still free though I think. Not sure what the rules are about leaving cars overnight though.

Or park it outside my house if you like (also Wylam) I’ll keep an eye on it for you. 😀

Xylene
    Free Member

To save yourself hassle of riding back into Newcastle, why don’t you park outside The Scrogg pub on Scrogg Road, free parking there as well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Where to park in Newcastle?’ is closed to new replies.