Where to MTB in the Alps?

Home Forum Bike Forum Where to MTB in the Alps?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Where to MTB in the Alps?
  • RealMan

My Dad and I are thinking about getting away for a week this summer to go mountain biking in the Alps.

Last year we went road riding in the Pyrenees with a company called Pyractif, and it was fantastic. So we’re looking for a place to go where we stay in one place for the week, with food and guided routes. We want it to be mostly XC, with as much climbing as descending. We want to be within throwing distance of mountains, with plenty of available trails, as we will probably aim to do around 150-250 miles in the week, and don’t want to be riding too much of the same stuff.

Anyone think of a company/place they can recommend?

Not asking for too much am I…

snaps

We based ourselves at in the Zermatt valley last year & managed about 180miles in a week – loads of trails & hardly saw any other MTBs!

RealMan

Heard that Zermatt was just a load of fireroad, hardly any technical stuff at all, is that right?

Have been looking at outbreak-adventure.co.uk, which is based in Grand Massif, Haute Savoie. Anyone been on a holiday with them?

snaps

Far from it! Miles & miles of single track, all sign posted & fairly deserted, theres also 2 4X tracks 3 full on DH courses – pictures here http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp14/zermatt08/?start=80
    And a short report here http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=10240

sparkywalts

Go to chamonix

I went there last year was amazing and if you do the passports du soleil there is lots of ups and downs.

Go with a company called MBMB MBMB

RealMan

Already done the 3 countries with MBMB, was looking for a centrally based holiday this time.

JonEdwards

If you liked Pyractif, how about another Pyrenean effort – AQR. Based in Luchon. Awesomely good trails, and if you want to ride uphill then Ian and Kate can show you a decent climb or two (along with some stonking descents). Food is fantastic (Russ is a top-notch Chef) and its worth going just for the meals – sod the biking.

We’ve been 4 times now and are just trying to work out how to fit our 5th visit in this year.

Premier Icon ash
    Subscriber

A backcountry week in Les Arcs would be just up your street

Photos by Andy Lloyd

RealMan

I’m not sure, trailaddiction looks a bit more downhill/freeride then XC, what did you do there? If XC, was it good?

Premier Icon offthebrakes
    Subscriber

Bike Village do XC stuff in the same area as Trailaddiction, and they are superb.

Premier Icon nuttysquirrel
    Subscriber

Kaprun, Austria? We had a great time in 07 with OverTheEdge. They cater for your group so can do more singletrack/downhill/XC as required. Plus you can go snowboarding in the summer on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier on an off day.

Beautiful place and the tour guides were great. They also do a tour in Northern Italy, which they say is even better riding.

doodlebug

RealMan

Not sure where you are in the country ?
    I’m off to the Alps this summer, do you and your dad want a lift with your own bikes in my estate to help me with diesel, tolls, could be a very cheap holiday for you guys ??
    I can pick up from anywhere south of J25 M1 to the dover ferry.
    I could drop you off anywhere’ish Alps, geneva ? Chamonix ?
    Dates : Thursday 25th June midnight ferry – back on the Saturday 11th July midnight ferry, a cool 15 days in the summer Alps 🙂
    If it sets your mind thinking, drop us a text 07855476108 – Dave

RealMan

Thanks for the offer doodlebug, but we cant make those dates. Have a good holiday.

Bikevillage look pretty good though..

andywhit

Going to Les Arcs with Trailaddiction in July 🙂

hustler

If your not too bothered about the Alps try Switchbacks in Sierra Nevada in Spain, much fun, great weather and magic single track, possibly more down than up but there was still some hard climbing.

nasher

Or try the Maritime alps on the med in Italy

thomthumb

bike village is ace. accommodation, trails and food are all top class. you couldn’t want for more.

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

Might as well pitch-in! Check us out at Bike holidays in the French Alps

Happy to tailor rides to whatever style of riding suits you. We’re based in Sainte Foy, very close to Les Arcs. Sick singletrack right on our doorstep, plus transport to ride all round the valley (Les Arcs, Tignes, La Rosiere/La Thuile and loads of remote, wild stuff). (Second pic is Claire/Dirtygirlonabike of these parts BTW).

Spongebob

Been MTB’ing in Chamonix, St Gervais, Megeve, Vallorcine, Verbier, Les Gets (queues and crowds), Morzine(queues and crowds), Flaine – All accessible to one another within about an hours drive. Stay in cheap apartments like pierre et vacances. Chamonix to Martigny is a good day out. 45 miles and 5000 plus feet of climbing.

Paradiski – Les Arcs and La Plagne are great too. Many lifts shut on a Saturday so this would suit your uphill desires. Can ride all the way from the top right to the valley floor and back up by the river if you stay at Bourg-Saint-Maurice. Make sure the doubledecker cable car is running which links the two resorts.

There is some good riding round Grenoble and 50 mins away by car is Alpe Duez, which is also a good one.

Been doing this every summer since 1999. Awesome holidays!

fuzzyjimble

i’d recommend the les arc and les plagne area – i went with bike village – they are great. good food, amazing trails and excellent guides.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Where to MTB in the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.