Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Where to look 👀 for a van?
  • fourfivesixfiftyb
    Free Member

Looking at getting a van in the next 18months or so

Ideally seating for 5-6 so crew cab
    Reliable engine
    Maybe up to a pug boxer/fiat ducato size
    Where do you look for vans other than autotrader
    Will be doing <20k a year
    Will be used for work and holidays
    Family of 4 maybe 5 in the near future
    Ideally need bomb proof too

mashr

eBay

rOcKeTdOg

Vantrader

fourfivesixfiftyb
    Free Member

Mashr thanks for the in depth reply 👀

fourfivesixfiftyb
    Free Member

Also looking at van options, what’s good/reliable etc for my requirements at £8-10k

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Excellent emoji usage Flashy will be up in arms! 🙌

zilog6128

People you know, business owners etc? Bought a couple that way, older vans being moved on, but had an easy life/been looked after.

Got latest from Ford main dealer, they had either taken it back after lease ended or taken it as PX, can’t remember. Either way it was a total bargain for a top spec van, they just wanted rid of it. It had had an easy life with a fire-extinguisher servicing company, FSH etc. Might be worth ringing round to see what they’ve got coming up before it goes on Autotrader, etc and gets snapped up.

fourfivesixfiftyb
    Free Member

Good idea zilog6128

kayak23

I looked everywhere to be honest, but eventually found mine via AutoTrader but from a Nottingham dealer in vans.

Facebook marketplace is quite good for more local stuff and you can often get a bargain if you keep checking it often.

Van dealers will obviously be more expensive but you’ll tend to get some sort of short warranty at least.

fourfivesixfiftyb
    Free Member

What vans/engines are the ones too look out for?

kayak23

Toyota hiace I was told, and that’s what I have.

jamesoz

The Hi-ace was the most reliable we ran at our place 2006ish. Cheap to run too, £11 for an entire door mirror! Very long in the tooth now though. No idea about the pro ace, I assume it’s french in all but badge?

trail_rat
    Free Member

No idea about the pro ace, I assume it’s french in all but badge?

which at least means it wont rot for fun like the olde toyotas.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because the sort circuiting electrics will galvanically protect it.

duncancallum

Top tip if its got a tailgate it’s less likely to have had heavy loads in as you cant get a forklift into it….

Look for service history as per ring the local dealer up and see what you can gain ref history.

Have a look at bca or copart auctions.

duncancallum

Oh does it need to be a van

Look out for ex mobility buses such as Merc vanios and Ford Tanya or what ever the factory bus is called

trail_rat
    Free Member

The what now ?

You meant to write the galvanised body work will protect it I’m.sure.

jamesoz

We had two Vivaros, total electrical failure in one and gearbox fail on another under 40k miles.
    The two Toyota’s were bullet proof despite being disliked due to the poverty spec/seats.
    Of newer vans we’ve had 4 or 5 Transit customs, probably on a par with the VW’s we’ve had for reliabity. Not bad but not brilliant.
    Biggest thing with the Transits aside shit security seemed to be the front doors dropping and the rear doors becoming hard to open/close. It looks almost like the back was no longer square. There does seem a lot of flex in the body at the rear.
    The vans get a hard life (except mine). Carrying heavy loads with a lot of London driving.

dirkpitt74

Where do you go to find the ex British Gas, BT vans nowadays?
    Keep thinking the little connects the Gas have would be a good buy.

panzerjager
    Free Member

Never used them myself, but often find myself daydreaming on https://www.forcevans.co.uk working out which internal bits to take out or leave to make a day van for the bikes.
    Most are ex police, armed forces, emergency services etc. so while some may be driven hard, they all get well looked after, or so I’m led to believe…

ratherbeintobago

Most are ex police, armed forces, emergency services etc. so while some may be driven hard, they all get well looked after, or so I’m led to believe…

‘White fleet’ MoD stuff is leased so the maintenance will be whatever the lease company provides. And they will have been flogged.

dirkpitt74

These look good – workshop in the back and table & chairs in the middle.
    Ex-BT mobile workshop & welfare

Would make a decent day van – I’m sure you could get a bike/bikes in there some how.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Indeed cash strapped services are well known for maintaining vehicles to the nth.

Ever seen cop car workshop on Dave.

Won’t catch me buying ex police or ex ambulance. It’s mostly end of life junk with the occasional gem from up the country police station that hasn’t spent it’s weekends full of drunkards spewing over the interior or chasing louts across fields

CheesybeanZ

Ex soco van won’t have had a hard life , I’ve bought a few out of ex police auctions .

chakaping
    Free Member

I just want a nice clean crew cab van from a local business, like the Vivaro I picked up six years ago and which has been awesome.

Even considered touting when I see vans of about the right age. Really don’t want to stump up the premium most van dealers demand.

duncancallum

I recognise 3 vans on that force vans…

Especially that fiat ambulance….

From memory that’s had at least 4 clutches n 2 boxes in it….

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Where to look 👀 for a van?’ is closed to new replies.