• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by taka.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to live in South West
  • mduncombe
    Free Member

Bearing in mind I mountain bike, road bike, sea kayak and hill walk does any body have any suggestions on a good rural place to live at the southern end of the M5?

Need to be close to the M5 or A303 to get to Bristol or London in as little time as possible but still be able to roll the bike(s) out of the garage and ride without needing to load up the car as well as the moor and the coast a short drive away.

wrecker
    Free Member

Exmouth?
    Not a million miles from gawton. Sea on the doorstep, dunno about road biking though.

julioflo
    Free Member

Bovey Tracey? Although still 15mins or so drive to the M5.

jam-bo

Somewhere around Taunton.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Tiverton?

DavidB
    Free Member

Brixham meets most of those criteria with Dartmoor close for the MTB.

tomhughes46

Budget?

Lived in Exeter for 7 years. Now live in Somerset.

Kennford?

yunki
    Free Member

Exmouth (or nearby if you want rural) isn’t a bad shout technically speaking, 20 minutes drive from the moor, 15 minutes from Haldon, Woodbury common on the doorstep.. As many roads as anywhere else
    plenty of coastline and estuary..

I’m in Exmouth but I would have suggested Kennford or Bovey
    Really though, you could fling a dart in the map anywhere at the end of the M5 and come up trumps..

it’s all gurt bloomin’ lovely down round ‘ere moi luvver

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Might be better off near Bristol and use the M4. Good access to South Wales, Qs, Mendip, Exmoor, FOD, Cotswolds, Malvern

BlobOnAStick

I’d say Taunton. Near Quantocks and North Somerset coast, M5, good rail connections to Bristol and London. Can’t believe I moved away to be honest 🙁

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’m from Exmouth. Ticks the coast box and you can ride to Woodbury Common from the doorstep. I wouldn’t have said its that close to London though as you either have to go cross country or up the m5 to join the m4.

wallop

Argh. I keep reading the OP’s username as “mud n come”….

tang
    Free Member

Stroud or surrounding. 45 mins to briz, 1.20min direct train to London or 2hrs to west London in car. Black mountains, brecons just over an hour away. River wye, Forrest of dean 1 hr or less. Loads of hills/woods to ride and walk. Road riding isn’t bad either; turn left for rolling quiet 50 milers or stay local for punishing strava fights on steep valley sides.

taka
    Free Member

pamplona

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in South West’ is closed to new replies.