Where to live in between Todmorden and Manchester?

Home Forum Chat Forum Where to live in between Todmorden and Manchester?

Viewing 21 posts - 46 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Where to live in between Todmorden and Manchester?
  • Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Er, Glossop’s about 30 miles from Todmorden as the crow flies, more by road and not remotely on the way between Manchester and Tod unless your Satnav is well and truly borked. Plus Glossop is vile, no hills, no pleasant restaurants, no decent pubs and a tribe of cannibal headhunters was recently discovered still living out the back of a pub beer garden. Definitely not worth considering, please 🙂

What posesses you to want to move to Toddy its like Burnley full of these 🙂

That’s Todmorden’s carnival king & queen, isn’t it? 😉

Littleborough would be ok, plenty to choose from depending how suburban you want.

and a tribe of cannibal headhunters

he means his family…

hora

I have that certain chav-look so I’ll blend into any rough spot. Problem is on sunday I was aggressively abused by two rough Irish tramps. GF said they obviously mistook me for one of them 🙁

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

he means his family…

Clearly. What’s left of them after Christmas dinner anyway. You know how things get with families at that time of year.

Andyhilton

Er, Glossop’s about 30 miles from Todmorden as the crow flies, more by road and not remotely on the way between Manchester and Tod unless your Satnav is well and truly borked. Plus Glossop is vile, no hills, no pleasant restaurants, no decent pubs and a tribe of cannibal headhunters was recently discovered still living out the back of a pub beer garden. Definitely not worth considering, please

I know where Glossop is thanks. He doesn’t seem to like any places between Manc and Tod, so I offered an alternative. I wouldn’t live there but my dad does. I like my nice suburban sprawl too much. Saying that there are no hills in Glossop is a little strange though.

hora

Stalybridge is on the way to Glossop….FFS I loved Stalyvegas. The problem lays in the fact that me and the missus are chalk and cheese primarily.

Binners she’d love to live in Chorlton whereas its rampant suburbia for me. I think I’d hang myself if I lived there!

AndyP

FFS I loved Stalyvegas
    but it’s a shithole…

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Andyhilton – Member

Er, Glossop’s about 30 miles from Todmorden as the crow flies, more by road and not remotely on the way between Manchester and Tod unless your Satnav is well and truly borked. Plus Glossop is vile, no hills, no pleasant restaurants, no decent pubs and a tribe of cannibal headhunters was recently discovered still living out the back of a pub beer garden. Definitely not worth considering, please

I know where Glossop is thanks. He doesn’t seem to like any places between Manc and Tod, so I offered an alternative. I wouldn’t live there but my dad does. I like my nice suburban sprawl too much. Saying that there are no hills in Glossop is a little strange though.

I’m mildly amused that you choose to pick up on the hills thing but seem quite happy to believe in the existence of a tribe of cannibals living out the back of a pub.

Anyway, forgive me, occasionally I forget that irony is wasted on here. So, for those who lack subtlety, here’s a leaden-footed version of my earlier post:

1. I was just vaguely mystified that you chose to throw Glossop into a thread about locations between Tod and Manc. I guess my psychic powers failed me momentarily there. Sorry.

2. Where I said that Glossop was vile and flat I was, in fact, tongue in cheek affecting to discourage Hora from moving here. It’s slightly more subtle than that though, since it was also intended as a slightly ironic dig at the rather unsubtle ‘Don’t move into my back yard!’ please, crowd.

3. Glossop isn’t flat. Irony, the use of words intended to convey the exact opposite of their literal meaning.

3. No pleasant restaurants. Ah, that’s mostly true. One and a half decent pubs.

4. Cannibals – yes, that bit’s 100 per-cent true.

Anyway… Glossop still isn’t between Tod and Manc, but oh, hang on, etc…

Dave

Er, Glossop’s about 30 miles from Todmorden as the crow flies,

Cool, where’s further than that then? Wherever it is Hora could live there :o)

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Ooooooh kay.

Quickest train route to Tod is via Rochdale, not via Oldham (which, as has been said, is turning into a Metrolink anyway).

From Victoria:

Moston: Where I was brought up!
    Moston Lane and immediate streets to the north and west are fine, pleasant cosmopolitan atmosphere, independent shops.
    But surrounded by some of Manchester’s worst areas. Parts of Harpurhey and the Lightbowne Estate are no-go areas on foot.
    Everywhere a no-go area on a nice bike on your own.
    Better since the West Africans moved in a couple of years ago, occupied most of the disused property and kicked some of the smackheads out.
    Some genuinely great riding in Boggart Hole Clough, but honestly, don’t go in on your own. Park near the Police Station if you are unloading your bike!
    Two nice/safe pubs – The Blue Bell on Moston Lane, handily placed opposite the Cemetery and The Gardeners Arms. Avoid the rest.
    Very cheap, obviously.
    Your partner will leave you.

Mills Hill: (Middleton)
    Not as nice as it thinks it is – Alkrington ok but overpriced, full of pretentious fake tanned f***wits, horrible concrete town centre, a few decent pubs (Old Boars Head, Ring ‘o’ Bells are nice).
    Full of Pikeys, only local riding is pretty poor and often overcrowded (Alkrington Woods or Heaton Park).

Castleton:
    Southern outcrop of Rochdale. Has a Garden Centre and a station.
    I’d rather eat my own feet than live here.

Rochdale:
    Town Centre OK, station OK.
    Lots of hard drugs and very damaged people. Once vibrant town destroyed by smack and neglect. Two nice pubs, the Flying Horse in the centre and the Cemetery. The people are friendly.
    No work, lots of poverty and alcohol.
    A once fine and proud Town, now pretty much on its arse.
    Cheap though, and this is where the great riding starts.

Smithy Bridge:
    Very pleasant Rochdale suburb. Nice people. Not bad, but you might as well live just down the road in:

Littleborough:
    Nice place – as detailed in posts above. Good train service, nice people, decent independent shops, great access to superb riding country but:
    Still feels like a suburb of Rochdale.
    Overcrowded. They have built hundreds of new homes (on a floodplain!?!) over the last ten years. Transport infrastructure creaking. Roads badly jammed at rush hour.

Walsden:
    Have lived here over 10 years now!
    Proper semi-rural feel. It can be really beautiful at times.
    Nice, if very insular locals.
    Village atmosphere.
    Cold dark winters, trains more expensive and less frequent than Littleborough, world’s most overrated chippy.
    Very, very ‘local’.
    Very, very cheap.
    Superb access to miles and miles of beautiful trails.
    One nice pub (Masons Arms).

Wherever you look at in North Manchester, be aware that although geographically close, you are culturally a million miles away from the likes of Chorlton.

I love it – couldn’t bloody stand all the macrobiotic health food shops, manbags and funny accents down there. 😉
    Anyway, anywhere south of Deansgate is suspect, everyone knows that 🙂

hora

Moston: Where I was brought up! Errr I’d leave me let alone the missus. Our old office was up the road in the industrial estate. Many days trudging up from Moston station (shudders)..

Rochdale centre nice? (shudders!!!)

Stalyvegas? Aye but you dont live in the centre, just dip in there to wet your beer-whistle 😀

i’m just glad Rawttenstall to Bacup lost it’s railway.

means i’m safe from Hora 🙂

RooleyMoor

Rusty – There are a quite a few decent pubs outside of Rochdale (Norden and Bamford especially)

Rochdale centre will be nice, there are plans to redevelop it. Clicky Although the developers are struggling in the current economic climate.

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

All of this confirms why, in spite of the presence of hills, I’d never live in north or north of Manchester (unless by “north of” we’re talking the Lakes…).

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Hi Rooley, didn’t mean to offend!

I agree, there are hundreds of nice pubs just outside Rochdale, but was trying to give my impressions of what it’s like a bit nearer the station – Flying Horse is nice, Cemetery the second nearest pub that I really like.

I LIKE the centre of Rochdale, with a bit of cash and thought it could be great: Stunning Town Hall, some decent shops, pleasant atmosphere. The Kurdland Grill on Drake St is a particular highlight!
    Having the “Open all day” Wetherspoons as your second most prominent building is probably a bad move though 😆

Hora, Moston used to be lovely, proper village atmosphere, well looked after etc – then the big employers (British Aerospace & Ferranti) went to the wall in the 80’s, the drugs moved in and then I moved out.
    I still have relatives there, desperately trying to maintain some dignity and self respect amongst a sea of scuffers.

ourmaninthenorth: Stay where you are – your ‘help’ would leave in disgust and you’d have to employ a translator.

North of Manchester is for people who don’t scream if they can’t get a skinny frappucino, don’t mind a bit of weather, have an open mind about the people they live amongst and like living and cycling in the hills. And ideally have a car. 😀

RooleyMoor

Rusty – I wasn’t offended! I was just expanding on your observation.

The Regal Moon is so horrendously busy. But that’s because all the other bars are extortionate!

Rochdale Town Centre Regeneration Plan

Andyhilton

I’m mildly amused that you choose to pick up on the hills thing but seem quite happy to believe in the existence of a tribe of cannibals living out the back of a pub.

Anyway, forgive me, occasionally I forget that irony is wasted on here. So, for those who lack subtlety, here’s a leaden-footed version of my earlier post:

1. I was just vaguely mystified that you chose to throw Glossop into a thread about locations between Tod and Manc. I guess my psychic powers failed me momentarily there. Sorry.

2. Where I said that Glossop was vile and flat I was, in fact, tongue in cheek affecting to discourage Hora from moving here. It’s slightly more subtle than that though, since it was also intended as a slightly ironic dig at the rather unsubtle ‘Don’t move into my back yard!’ please, crowd.

3. Glossop isn’t flat. Irony, the use of words intended to convey the exact opposite of their literal meaning.

3. No pleasant restaurants. Ah, that’s mostly true. One and a half decent pubs.

4. Cannibals – yes, that bit’s 100 per-cent true.

Anyway… Glossop still isn’t between Tod and Manc, but oh, hang on, etc…

Easy tiger. Irony can be quite hard to convey:

1) When written, with no intonation

2) When I don’t know you

Glossop still would fit most of Horas’ requirements except being between Manc and Tod (which he seems quite flexible about). Personally I wouldn’t find the prospect of living up there attractive but that doesn’t mean others wouldn’t. I’m sorry if I missed you irony. Let me know next time.

hora

The double-lane coming up/and down through Moston (its only a 40 limit) however the amount of flowers/road-side tributes and the amount of parents with kids in tow ‘chancing it’ just metres from traffic light crossing is ridiculous. I know its nature in its cruelist form but still. 🙁

Viewing 21 posts - 46 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in between Todmorden and Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.