Where to holiday in the UK?

Home Forum Chat Forum Where to holiday in the UK?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to holiday in the UK?
  • Markie

Isle of Wight is my call.

Depending on how gnarr you are, it may not be enough, but I thought was ace.

Plenty of threads on here for the MTB side, google suggests fell running goes on!

http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-east/the-isle-of-wight/

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/isle-of-wight-riding

Also, it feels properly island, somehow different from the mainland!

The Hutchison Memorial Hut in Choire Etchacan fulfills all those requirements bar roadying. And it’s free.

See it? About 1/3 of the way up, middle

can you cycle to that, and if so, where from and how long does it take…ish?

You’d have two routes in – Linn O’ Dee car park near Braemar, head north, over the bridge at Derry Lodge, well marked path, 10-12 miles IIRC. Or from Aviemore.
    The Linn O’Dee path easily cyclable, from Aviemore it’s longer but I believe just as cyclable. From Aviemore you could base yourself at Glenmore Lodge.
    Avienore – Braemar (the path running up and down the map) is called the lairig an laoigh and it’s an established walk – old drove road

I am of that age where I am not wanting to go on holiday with the rents any more and would rather go with the LADS on tour /s.

What I really want is to get a group of mates together and go and get a room at a hostel somewhere (to keep costs down). This magical place needs to have trail/fell/off-road running, decent walking, road biking and mountain biking so that all options can be catered for within a reasonable distance of the hostel.

I have just done the lakes so would fancy somewhere different next year.

What are your best ideas STW?

athgray

Cairngorms are a terrific and remote spot. Hutchison memorial hut is however a LONG way from supplies. Can’t just pop out for snacks or beer. Depends if proximity to amenities is important.

Neil F

Fort William.
    Should be on your bucket list. 😉

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

What I’d do in that situation is,

Collect friends in cars.

Pick a compass direction.

Drive.

Stop when bored. Have fun.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Lakes, great but harder to do cheap in some ways due to the popularity.
    Scotland – big & empty easier to do cheap

samuri

Lakes
    Wales
    Scotland.

It’s quite easy really.

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Subscriber

Youth hostel in Aviemore? Stayed there recently and they were very helpful and it had a pool table. Loads of riding and walking in all directions. On the downside the chippy closes at ten on a Friday night, what’s that about?

crankboy

Knoydart The old forge for beer and food the campsite for accomodation. There is a mountain bike trail and a road.

piemonster

Fort William -1 (but plus one if just staying somewhere in the area, but not in Fort William)

Knoydart +1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to holiday in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.