Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Where to hike around Snowdonia tomorrow?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Few of us wanting to go for a hike tomorrow. We’re all pretty capable, but don’t want anything too nuts (no rope stuff etc), especially with the varied weather at the moment.

Something like Tryfan, which isn’t Tryfan, would be great (done it before)

So, any suggestions? With it getting dark so early, and being winter, nothing too long/extreme I guess, but don’t want the Llanberis path up Snowdon either…

Ta, Duane.

Haze

Crib Lem Spur?

highclimber
    Free Member

I was thinking of going up Moel Siabod with the other half tomorrow. Its a nice simple walk with good views of the Glyderau and Snowdon (assuming there’s no or high cloud!).

RustySpanner

Just about to suggest Siabod.
    You can even have a little scramble on the eastern side if you fancy it.

Or how about Elidir Fawr?
    You can go up through the quarries at Deiniolen and have a look around there before heading up to the summit.
    It’s a great day out 🙂

Back the same way or drop down the sheep tracks on the NE side to Nant Peris or over Y Garn and down to Ogwen Cottage.
    Might not be enough light for the latter though.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hi Duane, Andy here from Thursday with the Ti hardtail. How about Moel Eilio heading up from Marchlyn Mawr? Once you’re up there you can go as far as you want. I’m typing on phone at mo’ but let me know if you want more detail.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. All just a bunch of letters to me at the moment, so will do some reading into each one 😛

How about Devils Kitchen? Heard it’s one of those hikes you have to do at least once?

RustySpanner

It’s going to be seriously horrible tomorrow you know 🙂

You could have a trip over to Newborough Warren and a walk out to Llanddwyn Island, or just drink tea, tell tall tales and eat chips in Pete’s. 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

Devils kitchen is great and best combined with a summit of Y Garn or Glyder Fawr. for Y garn allow at least 3 hrs and Glyder Fawr about the same but you can extend by visiting Glyder Fach too and then down either Y Gribin ridge or the steep path to the east of bristly ridge to Bwlch Tryfan and down back to Ogwen cottage via Llyn Bochlywd

Email if you want some other suggestions

EDIT: as per Rusty’s observation – it is indeed going to be gash tomorrow!!

plecostomus
    Free Member

crap weather tomorrow id go to the beacon center and go climbing.

psling
    Free Member

May be some white stuff on the eastern peaks tomorrow morning and as others have said, lots of rain forecast for the afternoon. Get an early start and you should have a good walk!

Sue_W
    Free Member

MWIS forecast for Snowdonia tomorrow – severe gales (50-70mph), rain plus hail and snow above 600m. Not a good day to be out in the hills, especially if you’re thinking of wet rocky ridges!

Suggestions for the Beacon, beach, or cafe sound much better 🙂

piemonster

Dolmen Ridge

(might need a spell check there)

piemonster

After what Sue said

Petes Eats

deft
    Free Member

I’d suggest Bristly Ridge seeing as you’ve done Tryfan – you could then link them up in future which is a classic route. However due to current grimness I concur with the Llanddwyn Island suggestion. Maybe a lap of Llyn Idwal if you’re set on mountains, but the cafe at Ogwen is currently closed.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Assuming you get on hill at some point in the future , start at Ogwen and hike up behind Tryfan and scramble Bristly Ridge up to Cantilever Stoane, then along to Catle of the Wind around, over and down to the tarn. Turn right and descent Devils Kitchen to Ogwen for cup of tea

highclimber
    Free Member

Turn right and descent Devils Kitchen to Ogwen for cup of tea

The cafe/shop is currently non-existent. theres a new visitor centre being built. The toilets were still open last week though I suspect these will be being demolished soon too!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Worth knowing cafe gone to avoid disappointment!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother tomorrow, won’t be very enjoyable and probs won’t get far in that wind! 🙁 Mind u, I guess you’re used to Scotchland 😀

On a decent day I’d do what this lot suggest, up Y Garn from Ogwen Cottage carpark, across to Llyn Cwn, up Glyder fawr, across to Glyder Fach (it’s a mad landscape up there!) and down the steep bit other side of Tryfan, then back along the road to car. It’s a nice circular route with a bit of everything in it and great views all over on a good day. Can’t go wrong cos it’s really easy to get your bearings with Pen Yr Ole Wen and Tryfan. It goes pretty rocky/bouldery around Glyder Fach so decent boots needed. Me – I’m testing my new boots round ASDA carpark 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

down the steep bit other side of Tryfan, then back along the road to car

Much better to go the way I mentioned above – over Bwlch Tryfan and down via Llyn Bochlwyd – as it avoids the road and is possibly shorter though I haven’t measured it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s the only way I’ve been! bloody steep 😛 my old man says your way though!

highclimber
    Free Member

No steeper than the decent off Glyder Fach and is manicured for most of it!

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers for the posts.

Ended up doing Y Garn, started from Llyn Ogwen, and up past Llyn Idwal and Devils Kitchen. Great walk, but not technical at all. Weather was great, rained for maybe 5 minutes on the way down. Pretty windy throughout, especially at the top, and pretty painful hail near the summit too!

highclimber
    Free Member

Glad you had a good time. did you go back down the way you came up?

Duane…
    Free Member

Yeah, we were going to head down the ridge over the other side of Y Garn but with the high winds, hail, and low visibility decided we’d better not.

highclimber
    Free Member

fairly wise as it’s quite steep to begin with but it’s a nice way to make it a circular route.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where to hike around Snowdonia tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.