• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Pauly.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Where to head from Morzine?
  • phil5556

We’re away for 10 days, just had the first day in Les Gets, going to head over to Morzine tomorrow probably getting a 4 day pass.

Where else is in easy reach, couple of hours or so drive, to head to?

Other half has an injured foot, she’s done well today after a couple of months off the bike but I reckon it’s going to be sore in the morning so wondering if there’s anywhere with some nice flowy downs that’s a bit less bumpy than here?

Uplifted suggestions only please, we are on holiday after all 😀😀

Tracey

Verbier in a couple of hours. Some smooth stuff in the bike park

phil5556

Cheers will take a look.

Anywhere else?

PeteT

If you’re after mellow and flowy, I’d take a look at the greens and blues around the Serrausaix lift towards Avoriaz. There’s also a new green starting near the cafe on the Col de Joux Vert which is worth a shot too.

lewis75
    Free Member

Samoens: about 40 mins away just in the next valley OR
    La Thuile, Italy: about 2hrs away. Amazing trails

phil5556

@PeteT thanks we’ll head over that way later today. I remember doing a couple of them a couple of years ago on our hard tails.

And should have said we were thinking of going to La Thuile so good to get a recommendation 🙂

Marko

La Thuile would not be my first choice. Used to be fantastic, but due to popularity a lot of stuff is as bad as Morzine/Les Gets. If your going through the Tunnel keep on to Aosta/Pila. The run from the very top of Pila down to Aosta should be on every MTB bucket list.

Samoans would be my first choice from Morzine, ride the lift assisted stuff first day, make sure the second lift is running on the next day and then head down to the Flaine lift. Up to the top on the Grandes Platieres and ride the descent back to Samoans via the Chalets des Sales. Do this as late in the day as possible to avoid the crowds walking back down from the Refuge.

Contact Mountain spirit and sort out an uplift to the Col de Joux Plane. That’s you 3/4 day pass sorted! If you want more details PM me.

orangespyderman

Keep in mind that many of the lifts will be closing at the end of this week in the French Alps (for example Samoens does, I think).

phil5556

@Marko sounds like good advice cheers. The lift up Joux Plane is to do the run back down in to Samoens? I think I’ve found some details and a GPX of it. How tough is it?

Had an ace day today, getting across to Morzine is bumpy hell but the trails up the other side are nice and flowy, just what we were looking for. Although “Family” at the end of the day nearly finished her foot off 🙁

godzilla
    Free Member

La Thuile, it’s lovely, best Marmots i’ve Seen too, the best riding round Morzine isn’t in Morzine.

phil5556

A little update.

We had an excellent few days staying in Morzine/Gets, rest day Friday and had a couple of hours in La Thuile this afternoon. The lift was broken and didn’t open until after 2. Saw many marmottes & a fox.

We did a few warm up runs on the blue, other half’s foot was bad so she struggled and down lifted. I did the Red P to S which was tough in places but great fun. Would have liked to have a bit longer there.

We’re now in Pila, plan is a few warm ups in the park and then give the long freeride to the bottom a go.

Didn’t manage to do the La Bourgeoise down to Samoens, will do that on another trip.

phil5556

Oh and there’s an XC map with some routes on, does anyone know what they’re like/how much climbing. Some of them look like they start at the top of the chair.

nickdavies

If she can deal with hike, the best stuff in pila is out of the park. The descent down to the floor is good… but its got nothing on the natural stuff there, especially when its dry and the sand on the aosta run is a foot deep…

For starters, head up the top lift, follow the walking path up to the top of the col, from the viewing point youll see a ridgeline down to the left as youve walked up, ride that. It forks a 3rd of the way down or so, hang left and youll end up back to aosta having ridden some amazing singletrack. Couple of awesome sections.

Assuming the couis lift is shut this is a ballache but you can pick up fire road from the park to the grimondet lift, youll go under it and see a track off to your right, follow that down. Make sure you dont take the wrong one and do the desarpa bike park trail. This is very rocky and continuous so not ideal with a busted foot though. Loads more natural riding in the area just watch you stay the right side of the mountain.

lewis75
    Free Member

Totally agree with the above.
    If you have trailforks there is a trail called T26, this runs on into 21B which runs all the way down into Aosta town. It’s much less beaten up than the Freeride line in the bike park. I rode it 3 weeks ago and it’s hands down the best trail I’ve ever ridden

nickdavies

26 into 21 is the second trail I mentioned, just had a look at trailforks. And yeah… its bloody brilliant! 😆

Using trailforks theres some great stuff off the back into cogne, if your oh is unable to ride but can drive round…. 😉 id love to work out how you get up to the top of pontonnet without a massive climb, looks like an ace descent.

phil5556

Thanks again guys.
    How tough/techy is it?
    I see it’s marked as black then blue on trail forks.

I’m struggling at the moment to tempt her away from the easy marked stuff, although we’re just about to try the marked free ride track – her idea!

phil5556

Ok scratch that, pedalling doesn’t work!

We did the Red freeride to the bottom, it was excellent, sandy, bit bumpy, nice long and brake melting 😀 Great fun and she smashed it.

Back up the chair for a small loop to do the bottom of the Deserpa trail, must’ve been about 150m ish of climbing, foot too painful so she rolled back down the road to resort.

Think we’re going to just get a single ticket up the gondola tomorrow and do the big freeride again. Will save all the other info for a return visit cheers 👍

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like I need to get back to Pila.

lewis75
    Free Member

If you come off the Chamole lift from the bike park and ride down to the Couis lift it’ll take you to the top of the Deserpa trail. Ride it down to restaurant, then peel lift along a fire road to farm. Go past the farm and the T26 trail starts. It’s all single track,no climbing,nothing too steep or technical and zero breaking bumps 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

next year, for sure

alpin
    Free Member

Marking for 2020

Tracey

We try to fit it in every 2nd year so should be in next years trip. Some great trail to be done on both sides of the Aosta valley.

phil5556

If you come off the Chamole lift from the bike park and ride down to the Couis lift it’ll take you to the top of the Deserpa trail.

Ah, that Couis lift is shut at the moment so I think it involves a pedal up.

It’s all over now, in Chamonix now. Tourists tomorrow then heading home.

Today we did the freeride twice and then I headed up for one last run down it on my own. Tested my helmet… It worked. Thank God for a full face! 😮 OTB to a face full of sand.

Tracey

At least the dust cushions the falls

Glad you had a good time, can’t wait to get back

phil5556

@Tracey I think I probably looked similar, no video evidence though.

I’ve got a grazed knee above my pads and a couple of bruises, but generally unscathed. The dust definitely helped!

Pauly

Bookmarked

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Where to head from Morzine?’ is closed to new replies.