Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Where to go on holiday in Spain?
  • woody74

Tell me about the Spanish mainland and where is good to go on holiday with 2 young kids, 3 & 6. Needs to be nearish a beach (15min drive at most). Looking for something NOT like Benidorm. Peaceful and child out.

ElShalimo

Galicia is stunning, plenty of amazing quiet beaches. Fantastic seafood and lots of nice local wine.

chakaping
    Free Member

What time of year?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just rock up at Woppit’s new gaff?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

We’re heading to Costa Brava this year, area looks lovely. It’s a Eurocamp place so not chilled exactly but should be great for the kids. As much as I’d like something relaxing if the kids are bored then it won’t be too relaxing.

Edukator
    Free Member

Near Zarautz or around Comillas.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Llafranc, Calella de Palafrugell, Tamariu, Sa Tuna, Basically any of the small coves in the Northern Costa Brava between Palamos and Figueres, Stunning area and lots to do.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Near Zarautz or around Comillas

this – or lots of places on the North Coast

If this is Summer, the South Coast is too hot for small kids.

I’d chuck Llanes and Gijon into the mix too.

woody74

Thanks all, looking to go Late July, early August. when I said peaceful, of course this is a relative term when kids are about. I meant not like the packed beaches of Benidorm, etc

chakaping
    Free Member

I won’t suggest southern Spain then, lovely as it is – it’s likely to be a bit too schorchio.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Roses is nice too. Top of the Costa Brava, not far from the French border.

Andy_B

What nobeer said. Palamos is a good shout and only about an hour from Girona for a nice day trip. Some of the smaller places might feel a little isolated and some of the coves are rocky so have a good check. You need sand with kids.

BigJohn

Tarifa is never scorchio but is always wonderful.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

+1 Galicia

Went for the 1st time last year, hoping to go back again this summer for a long weekend.

Distinct lack of brits, great food, and much greener than the hotter parts of Spain. Had a southern Californian feel to it, IMO

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Llafranc, Calella de Palafrugell, Tamariu, Sa Tuna, Basically any of the small coves in the Northern Costa Brava between Palamos and Figueres

Just had a look at where we are going, looks like exactly here, just over a mile to Sa Tuna.

OP, we haven’t been yet but did research it, the Eurocamp is called El Delfin Verdi. Trip advisor rates it and we picked one of the new bungalows.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tarifa is never scorchio but is always wonderful.

Are you sure it’s not just that it doesn’t feel scorchio because it’s so windy?

Mackem

As above Zarautz or Hondarribia.

Bakio for something quieter and little more out of the way.
    Plentzia if you fancy popping into Bilbao.

Castro Urdiales is nice enough, cheap too.

tuboflard

Tarifa is wonderful. As is the coast west of Santander. I’d go back to either tomorrow.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

This Ronda place looks a right dump.

No beaches but apparently you can swim in the rock pools surrounded by caves.

roper
    Free Member

Ronda is nice but will be hot in August. It gets quite busy with tourists for such a small place and is not near the sea.
    Tarifa has lots to do, water sports, rock climbing, cycling etcetera but as been mentioned can get fairly hot but also windy. They do have summers lets, with a pool so you could be a bit more secluded. You could also go to Cadiz which is good for a day or two.

Moe

Sitges just south of Barcelona so easy to get to, great beaches.

loddrik
    Free Member

Formentera

jimdubleyou

Costa de la Luz was nice, more Spanish holidaying than anywhere else we’ve been in Spain in the summer.

Edukator
    Free Member

Sitges, I lived there for 9 months when I worked in Barcelona. I wouldn’t recommend it to a family with two young kids though. The place is geared up to coping with the masses escaping Barca and gay nightlife. It’s east coast and unpleasantly hot most of the Summer, my view is perhaps coloured by living in SW France and wanting somewhere cooler than home rather than hotter.

Spain’s north coast gets a few dull days in a Summer week and it even rains now and then. It’s where a lot of people from Madrid head for on holiday in search of a sea breeze. Beware of campsites, some are good but many are my idea of holiday hell. Overcrowded, noisy, smelly. Alberge, hotels and casa rural are a better bet. booking.com is where Madame hunts for the places we stay.

You don’t want to stay here, promise. Somewhere not far west of Gijon, I can’t remember where exactly but the “sand” was black stuff dumped in the sea my the mining and steel industry.

BigJohn

Last week we were in Tarifa and Ronda. Week before that, Cadiz.

Ronda was dreadful. One thing to look at and heaving with tours. Place is dead after 5 when they’ve left.

Tarifa was heaven as usual. I’ve been going for 15 years and of course it’s the breeze that keeps it cool. A bit too breezy at times.

Cadiz was surprisingly nice. A city with beaches and excellent food. Not rip-off prices either, except car parking but that’s the same everywhere in urban Spain.

wilburt
    Free Member

Another Costa Brava fan, especially if you have young kids it’s under a 2 hour flight and transfers can be short. Loads of places to choose from.

renton
    Free Member

We stayed in Benalmadena last year and thought it was fantastic. Lots to do around there if you can book onto excursions etc.

palmer77
    Free Member

I live in San Pedro de Alcántara near Marbella. While certain spots along the Costa del Sol are ‘nice’ in a manufactured way, it’s not somewhere I would choose to go on holiday. It’s hitting about 30c now, and from what I’ve heard from our friends here 40c plus in summer is expected. The only real way to get around is on the A7 so traffic is also an issue. However, as has been mentioned Tarifa and Bolonia are up the road and are great for beach days. Not much going on in the town mind, and there are some camping place along Playa de los Lances which is a great surf/wind-surf/kite-surf spot. Ronda, IMHO is great. Ok the main attraction is the bridge but the town itself is authentically Spainish and is great to explore. Somewhere not mentioned yet is Estapona, great beaches, fantastic old town and nicely located to explore the area. Either by car, or indeed cycling there are loads of great areas nearby. The Roman baths at Sabinillas, the castle at Gaucin not to mention Los Reales. There should be loads of eagles and vultures if nature is your thing and there is a wildlife park nearby called Selwo. Sometimes it’s nice heading inland and exploring the Pueblo Blancos.

mogrim

Yet another vote for the Costa Brava, we’ve been there a couple of times and it manages to combine gorgeous little beaches, some nice places to visit, and a lively enough nightlife without being full of trashed Brits and German stag parties.

We were at the north end of Platja d’Aro, if you’ve got a car it’s a short trip to Girona and the Dali Museum if you fancy something a little more cultural. Head for the slightly more northern part of the coast, as further south Lloret de Mar apparently has had problems with the aforementioned stag parties…

doug_basqueMTB.com

There are so many good places in Spain, it’s so diverse and the culture is amazing. I live on (and love) the Basque Coast. There aren’t many places here you couldn’t spend time and enjoy. It’s not peaceful, it’s lively, but it’s nothing like Benidorm. The peace increases as you drive away from the actual coast. I live 15 minutes from the coast and it’s a lot more peaceful. Campsites have been mentioned, again they’re not peaceful on the coast but maybe look just over the border as I think France does campsites better. Close to the border though because everything else in that part of France is vastly inferior to Spain.

I love Hondarribia. Outside of august it’s just perfect for me. Zarrautz is also special. San Sebastián i love but it’s just too big a town for me to spend more than a few days.

I’m happy to give you some advice if you want to hit me on email. Or if you post here I do try to read the forum most days.

Oh yeah, late July is much better than early august.

thejesmonddingo

Never been to the south,but +1 for Edukator on Comillas,lovely spanish resort.We stopped in a chalet at Camping Playa Oyambre,about 5 miles west,

quite a busy site,but very child friendly and good facilities,sports bar restaurant etc,about 500m from the enormous beach.If you get bored with the beach,it’s not far from the Picos de Europa for some mountains.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Had a nice week in Sitges last year – but not really for young kids – it isn’t that kind of beach really.

I love San Sebastian and off there for a bit this year – but again a bit big city-ish.

However – kids that age don’t really remember much about it in a few years time so I would also choose the place for you!

woody74

Thanks everyone, narrowed it down to Costa Brava area now and was looking at Denia last night, which looked good with it harbour and lots and lots of beaches

mogrim

narrowed it down to Costa Brava area now and was looking at Denia last night, which looked good with it harbour and lots and lots of beaches

Er, Denia’s about 600km from the Costa Brava!

woody74

I guess I meant Costa Blanca. Show my lack of Spanish knowledge!!

poolman
    Free Member

I live in denia, lots to do. Getting hot now. My rental villa has long gone for aug but have the odd week left. Nice beaches, good food, not many brits.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    Just rock up at Woppit’s new gaff?

Oi! perchy! Naaaaaaaoowww! 😆

surfer
    Free Member

@poolman

Staying in moraira in July. Love that area not too touristy but lovely beaches and coastline.

poolman
    Free Member

Surfer – good choice Morairas lovely. Do u know the llebeig cove?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Where to go on holiday in Spain?’ is closed to new replies.