Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to get prototype digital watch made?
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve got an idea for a digital watch that I would like to prototype. On the off chance has anyone here done something similar, and maybe had smallish quantities made up? I am assuming there are places in Asia that do this sort of thing on the cheap.

Markie
    Free Member

Nothing helpful to add, so just to say let me know when you get the Kickstarter up, I like digital watches and would love to see what you’ve got in mind!

sbob
    Free Member

I am assuming there are places in Asia that do this sort of thing on the cheap.

Guess again!
    How much are you expecting to pay for how many?
    Do you need a fully functional proto?
    Case and strap would probably be your biggest cost at low volume due to tooling.

bencooper
    Free Member

Does it need a custom chip? You can 3D print a case, but custom microelectronics will never be cheap.

DavidB
    Free Member

I think my idea can be done in dead simple digital watch electronics. It really is quite glaringly obvious but I have not seen it done before?

I am going to get a pebble to mock it up then see what people think. Markie, email me and I will tell you the idea. You will either shrug and say it’s pants, but if you are a watch fan….may see the simplicity.

JoeG
    Free Member

Where to get prototype digital watch made?

How about the 1970s? 😀

richmars

Sounds like a good way to make a small amount of money, by starting with a large amount!
    Is it something that would work using existing hardware?
    One option may be to do a software version on a pc so you can show people what it is and how it works. Could just be a few hours of a programmers time. Get everyone to sign NDA’s first.

nickjb
    Free Member

A simple way to start would be a 3D computer model to see if the look is right. You could then get a visual model made by a model maker. Custom electronics in the right size will be hard unless you can modify a standard set of innards. I do a bit of this for my day job so happy to give a few pointers. Email in profile if you want to keep it confidential.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I design watches (& homewares) for a UK company. I know the best places to get digital watches prototyped in Asia but its not by any means cheap. If your idea is based around the digital functionality rather than a case/strap idea it’s not going to be cheap. If its a case/strap idea then it can be done on a 3d printer here.

Interested to hear what your innovation is. I have the contacts and the experience and the tooling for prototyping.

DavidB
    Free Member

King-ocelot, thanks, can I drop you an email?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to get prototype digital watch made?’ is closed to new replies.