Where to get prototype digital watch made?

Home Forum Chat Forum Where to get prototype digital watch made?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to get prototype digital watch made?
  • Markie

Nothing helpful to add, so just to say let me know when you get the Kickstarter up, I like digital watches and would love to see what you’ve got in mind!

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

I’ve got an idea for a digital watch that I would like to prototype. On the off chance has anyone here done something similar, and maybe had smallish quantities made up? I am assuming there are places in Asia that do this sort of thing on the cheap.

sbob

I am assuming there are places in Asia that do this sort of thing on the cheap.

Guess again!
    How much are you expecting to pay for how many?
    Do you need a fully functional proto?
    Case and strap would probably be your biggest cost at low volume due to tooling.

bencooper

Does it need a custom chip? You can 3D print a case, but custom microelectronics will never be cheap.

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

I think my idea can be done in dead simple digital watch electronics. It really is quite glaringly obvious but I have not seen it done before?

I am going to get a pebble to mock it up then see what people think. Markie, email me and I will tell you the idea. You will either shrug and say it’s pants, but if you are a watch fan….may see the simplicity.

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

Where to get prototype digital watch made?

How about the 1970s? 😀

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

Sounds like a good way to make a small amount of money, by starting with a large amount!
    Is it something that would work using existing hardware?
    One option may be to do a software version on a pc so you can show people what it is and how it works. Could just be a few hours of a programmers time. Get everyone to sign NDA’s first.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

A simple way to start would be a 3D computer model to see if the look is right. You could then get a visual model made by a model maker. Custom electronics in the right size will be hard unless you can modify a standard set of innards. I do a bit of this for my day job so happy to give a few pointers. Email in profile if you want to keep it confidential.

I design watches (& homewares) for a UK company. I know the best places to get digital watches prototyped in Asia but its not by any means cheap. If your idea is based around the digital functionality rather than a case/strap idea it’s not going to be cheap. If its a case/strap idea then it can be done on a 3d printer here.

Interested to hear what your innovation is. I have the contacts and the experience and the tooling for prototyping.

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

King-ocelot, thanks, can I drop you an email?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to get prototype digital watch made?’ is closed to new replies.