Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to get cheap decking/north shore timber?
  • HarryTuttle

I need to deck a section of garden including creating a raised path (to deal with a bit of flooding) and I don’t have a huge budget. From a cosmetic point of view I don’t really want grooved deaking boards, ideally I’d like the rougher north shore look.

The boards have to last, so either hardwood or treated softwood.

Any suggestions? Any recommended sources? I’m in Sussex if it makes any difference.

bruneep

would it not be better to deal with the water(flooding) with better drainage?

In Aberdeen not that it make any difference

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

How about treated sawn carcass?

You can pick it up from your local B&Q comes in variety of lengths and thickness. Usually used for the frame work in decking.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    skidartist
    Free Member

try ebay for railway sleepers, some of the places that do them also do hefty oak planks (same length and width of a sleeper but roughly half the thickness).

dropoff

How about builders planks, not treated but you could coat them in a preservative.

HarryTuttle

Thanks guys but not really what I’m after.

Bruneep, I am dealing with the drainage but the only option I have is soil improvement which is a long process….

What I was thinking was; there must be a place I can get sawn logs like the stuff ‘commercial’ north shore is made from. Surely it’d be cheaper than planed, grooved treated 2.4m long boards?

Cheers.

jedi

how about splitting logs as u would slats for northshore constructions?

Fagus
    Free Member

Use some pallets. Just what you describe.

geoffj

Get down to your nearest saw mill. They should be able to cut to length/width/bredth what you need. Larch is good because it will last 20 years without treatment.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Any timber merchants or Travis perkins or Jewsons will have 6×1 sawn not planned. Tannalised is great. Have just paid £4.50 for 4.2 m lengths and that wasn’t the cheapest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to get cheap decking/north shore timber?’ is closed to new replies.