Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Where to get cheap but decent sunglasses?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’m off on a sailing holiday soon and want a pair of sunnies that I won’t be too upset about if they end up in the Med! Only have one pair ATM – Endura Mullets – not expensive but I’d rather lose a £10 pair than a £40 pair. TBH if Aldi were doing their bike promo in the next week I’d get a pair of those at £3 a pair but don’t think they are…any ideas on where I can get a pair that will give good UV/glare protection at a good price? Cheers

gobuchul
    Free Member

Have a look at the Bolle safety glasses range. Cheap as chips and decent quality.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I sail in my Oakleys, on fast and wet stuff like Lasers and cats. Never lost a pair yet, even with a fair few dunking.

https://www.chums.com are your friends! Wear whatever you’ve got already!

DezB
    Free Member

Ebay.
    For riding or general sunning? Loads of polarised lenses as well on ebay.
    Brand called Wrapz are decent quality and cheap as.

rascal
    Free Member

gobuchul – I did think of those TBH…reckon these would do the trick?

http://www.safetyshop.com/bolle-hustler-safety-glasses.html?LGWCODE=40650;144151;6391&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwc-QxqaJ1gIV65ztCh1_rwjlEAUYBCABEgKQLvD_BwE

monkeysfeet – they look pretty decent too…cheers

nuke

Decathlon for mine…plenty to try on & always good value for money

gobuchul
    Free Member

.reckon these would do the trick?

I had the exact same pair from work, with the polarised lens. Very good but not that cheap at £36. Perfect for on the water.

rascal
    Free Member

I had the exact same pair from work, with the polarised lens. Very good but not that cheap at £36. Perfect for on the water.

I’d be looking at the smoked lenses @ £10…or the Contour smoked around same price.

nealglover
    Free Member

I recently went away for a weekend without my normal sunnies.
    Bought a pair of polarised sunglasses from Aldi for £4 and they are fantastic.

Not just “fantastic for £4”

I’ve had all sorts of premium stuff, and loads of Oakleys and Bolle stuff. And these are genuinely as good as most of them.

dannybgoode

Tk maxx. If you can find some Smith Optics ones their lenses are up there with Oakley.

Often find Nike Optics ones as well.

Both are around £20

loddrik
    Free Member

Bloc. Recommended to me on here. Wouldn’t waste my money on Oakleys anymore.

prawny

I’ve got some photochromic ones off eBay that look very similar to the old Oakley radars and fit just as well. Only cost £13. Highly wreckommended.

Cougar

No way I’d be buying sunglasses from ebay. I’m not a particular fan of blindness.

The last pair I bought were from Boots of all places, they had a decent selection at reasonable prices.

binners

loddrik – Member

I’m always recommending them. I’ve had loads of pairs as i tend to sit on them, leave them in pubs etc.

They sell them at the Trespass factory outlet shops if you’ve one of those nearby, and they’ll be cheap as chips at this time of year

geoffj

No way I’d be buying sunglasses from ebay. I’m not a particular fan of blindness.

What risk do you think you are exposed to with cheap sunnies?

Cougar

What risk do you think you are exposed to with cheap sunnies?

A happy combination of unknown UV protection and irises opened wider due to the darker lenses.

I’m always recommending them. I’ve had loads of pairs as i tend to sit on them[/quote]

I had a pair of Bloc once. They were great till I sat on them. (Snapped them clean in two at the bridge.)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Have a look at the Bolle safety glasses range. Cheap as chips and decent quality.

This. I got a pair for riding/walking/motorbike and are fantastic for the money.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p65784?table=no

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

happy combination of unknown UV protection and irises opened wider due to the darker lenses.

My Mum usd to say this about cheap sunnies, but more recently I have heard that any old grade of polycarbonate filters100% of UV anyway…..is anyone more in the know….?

Cougar

more recently I have heard that any old grade of polycarbonate filters100% of UV anyway

I’d heard that recently also. I’ve not looked into whether it’s true or not but I figure, even if it is, it’s still an unknown quantity as I don’t have any guarantee as to what they’re made from.

I could well be worrying unduly, but eyes are sensitive things and not something I’d want to take a risk with even if the actual risk is relatively small. As a wise friend once said, “I don’t care what the statistics say, it will be me.”

stumpy01

Bloc are good.

nealglover
    Free Member

I have heard that any old grade of polycarbonate filters100% of UV anyway…..is anyone more in the know….?

That is true, but tonnes of cheaper lenses are made of triacetate rather than polycarbonate.
    Triacetate blocks about 40% of UV.

rascal
    Free Member

Info from Bolle website about the Contour:

POLARIZED

Technology approved for permanent wear and certified with perfect optical quality, it offers unbeatable comfort by filtering glare and reflections. Ideal for the maritime environment. Filter 99.99% of UVA/UVB. The polarizing filter contains perfectly aligned crystals, which block horizontally polarized light. Acting like a Venetian blind, it eliminates dazzle and only lets “useful” light pass through. Polarized lenses offer incomparable comfort on water, and also for outdoor activities, driving and around town. These should do the trick…yes/no?

http://www.bolle-safety.com/model/contour

binners

I’ve only used the clear lenses Bolle Contour, but they’re great!

rascal
    Free Member

Hmmm…the polarised ones are £33ish…the smoke ones by comparison are £8ish.

dannybgoode

The other problem with cheap lenses is they’re not optically corrected so when say you look and a pavement line the line appears broken when you see it both through the lens and underneath it.

This may or may not bother you. It drives me mad.

Also cheap lenses are just darkened plastic. Decent lenses filter out specific wavelengths and are much clearer and much more effective.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Have a look at silverback.com you can buy a pair and then pay an extra £15 to get up to 6 replacement pairs. Pretty good lenses too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Where to get cheap but decent sunglasses?’ is closed to new replies.