Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Where to get a wooden balance bike for a two year old?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Not my area of expertise so just wondering if anyone knows where to pick up a good one?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Time to grab some lumber from your self made woodstore and get in your mancrafted shed and use your stw issue chainsaw, vice and chisel set to knock one up

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t I just buy one?

DrP

A shop?
    That sells early rider…?
    Here is a good first call…

DrP

BigJohn

I got a dreadful little bike like this for my grandson.

I attacked it with a hacksaw and made a flat wooden saddle for the back rack. It made a great little balance bike. He was riding it before his 2nd birthday.

He graduated to a proper bike and was pedalling unaided just before his 4th birthday.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would advise against going for a wooden one depending on the type of use it may get.
    We bought my daughter a kiddimoto kurve which looks nice but in reality isn’t very good. My daughter is very tall for her age and still had to wait until she was quite old to fit on it due to the high stand over and minimum saddle height. The main problem has been the durability of it though. She uses it once or twice a week on our local bmx tracks and its starting to drop apart. The steering wobbles like crazy on the steep bits and the front axle comes undone every now and then. Obviously its not designed for this type of riding and would be more than adequate for playing in the garden or park.

I’m not completely trying to advise against getting one as my daughter has had a lot of use out of it and loves it but just have a think about what type of use it will get. We never thought she would be doing the sort of riding she is doing on it when we first looked at them.

Free Member

I can recommend getting one of these instead, superb quality and an absolute bargain. We found the wooden ones to be heavy, cumbersome and uncomfortable for my nephews.

warns74
    Free Member

Appreciate you are looking for a wooden one, but we got one of these for our daughter and she has been pushing herself along on it since she was 18 months. Shes 2 now and still using it a lot.

6 3/4″ is the new 29!

In case there is any doubt, it’s the blue one! 😛

jam1e
    Free Member

The Rebel-Kidz bikes look cool. Just got one for my nephew

Dyffers
    Free Member

warns74: Can’t tell what it is…got a link and/or a make/model?

warns74
    Free Member

warns74: Can’t tell what it is…got a link and/or a make/model?

It’s aptly called a “tinybike”, theres a few places that sell them, (amazon, ebay shop) typically about £45-50. Plus points are it’s relatively light and the wider wheels help with balance when they first start out.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

lidl had some in other day in one store. think they were wooden.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

There is a kid on one of those Rebel-Kidz bikes who did the dual track at the bike park on Sunday.

The dad let go of the saddle on the start ramp by mistake and couldn’t catch up.

Great watching a 2 year old getting air over the rhythm section and then running up the hill for another go

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Mini Mango
    If you want something unique.

Stainypants

We have an easy rider and to be honest its too heavy for my son who is a big and strong 2 and 2 months. We also have a cheap decathlon plastic balance bike and he’s just to grips with it this week having been using one of those plastic motorbikes with the big wheels.

To be honest I think he’ll be riding a normal bike before he’s strong enough for the easy rider. There is a lighter early rider but i think your better of with the cheaper lighter options.

I’m taking him to the bike park this afternoon i’ll post up some video here he is on the motorbike a few months
    ago

Biking

timbur
    Free Member

Get a Puky
    I’ve got one of these that my 2.5yo has just grown out of if your interested? (well, he’s actually just grown into a LikeaBike Kokua)

http://www.puky.net/en/mod_produkte_produkt/kategorie/laufrad_lr_m/produkt/Laufrad_LR_M_oceanblue/index.html

[edit] Its metal, not tree material.

BearBack
    Free Member

Like-a-bike

First company I remember that were selling these in the UK.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thank you all for the input. Food for thought there. Doesn’t have to be wooden but the metal ones all seem too big.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The strider balance bike prolly has one of the lowest stand overs.. our youngest of 13 months can sit on one with feet more or less flat on the floor

docstar
    Free Member

The kiddo moto one we got was too big for our girl when she was 2 and now she’s nearly 3 it’s just about ok. Got a nice one from decathlon that was perfect though not wooden, was about £40

oxym0r0n

Zoom/scoot was very successful for my 2 – you can drop the saddle v low and adjust it up more accurately than wooden pegs. Graduated to isla and my 4yr olds rode over 10 miles today 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Personally I’m glad I went cheap.

My two (3 snd 5) have had zero interest and much prefer thier scooters… I do too.

Easier to carry when they get bored of them.

peabrain
    Free Member

The metal ones tend to be smaller than the wooden ones. Puky LRM and Strider are the smallest. Strider lasts longer as it has bigger wheels and longer reach, but Puky LRM is great because it is so tiny (my son was on it at 19months and he is very small for his age)

For slightly bigger kids (IIRC my son was 2.5) the LikeaBike Jumper is the bees knees.

twistedpencil

My son managed to throw his leg over an early rider lite at 18months, my daughter was using it at 2.5years. Both love it. It weighs nowt. It’s been ragged around a BMX track, slammed into muddy puddles up to the axles and worse. I stripped it a polished it about two weeks ago and after 4years it’s still going strong, will strip sand and revarnish before number three gets her mitts on it.

The striders do look good though 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Where to get a wooden balance bike for a two year old?’ is closed to new replies.