Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where to get a decent lunch on the outskirts of Cardiff?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Another where to eat in Cardiff thread but this time on the fringes….

We are looking for a new car (see another thread) so are taking a trip round the dealers in Cardiff on Saturday to see what we fancy.

There seems to be a cluster of dealers around the Penarth Road area on the outskirts.

As its a day trip for us from mid-Wales we’ll be needing lunch. Don’t want a dirty lunch, so was thinking a decent pub.

We always fail to find anything for some reason, and either end up hungry or at McDonalds, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

Ikea 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re near Canton, probably somewhere reasonable to eat in there. Head for Cowbridge Road East and park and walk perhaps? No idea myself.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wallop

But further out but Llanerch Vineyard is nice!

richwales

Gwaelod-y-garth inn

Kamakazie

For pubs type food near there i’d look at The Pilot or Custom House in Penarth. Neither are particularly pricey and are consistently decent. Cardiff isn’t the best place for pubs tbh.

As above, there’s some good option in Canton but again, I’d not particularly rate the pubs. Pontcanna would be better for that but you are getting closer in to town.
    Llanerch & Gwaelod are pretty far away too.

If you end up on your way back to mid Wales before food, Bunch of Grapes just off the A470 in Ponty is (was?) awesome.

sideshow
    Free Member

Gwaelod y Garth inn if they do lunch, on your way past

P-Jay
    Free Member

Gwaelod y Garth inn is lovely, I can almost see it from my office window, it’s not really near Penarth Road though, but it’s just off the A470 if you’re going that way home.

Penarth (which as the name suggests) is at the end of Penarth Road, it’s a nice little old Victorian Seaside Town. There’s a couple of Tapas bars in town and the Custom House down near the Barrage. For a slightly different take there’s a butchers shop in the town that does amazing rolls (there’s not really a veggie/vegan choice) it’s takeaway only, but when my Wife and I are there we like to grab 1 or 2 of those (1 is even for 2 really) and either sit down the Marina near the Barrage or the Seafront / Clifftops. The beach is a bit rubbish, pebbles and brown ‘sea’.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A mahoosive greasy burger at the top of Caerphilly mountain!

l0key
    Free Member

https://www.pier64.co.uk/

Hopefully the food stays upto its previous owners levels.

And if veggie

Home

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s definitely not worth going half way to Caerphilly to get a burger.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Some great suggestion thanks.

Equal thanks for the no so great ones 😀

I did say didn’t want a dirty lunch…..IKEA rubber sausage and meatballs 😎

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of them are miles from where you are going to be, so unless you want a 2.5 hour break from your car shopping you might want something closer.

There’s a ‘family pub’ and a Frankie and Benny’s near Ikea which is near the Hadfield Road car dealers, but neither are what you’d call culinary highlights…

It’s also a 4 min train trip from Ninian Park station (near the car dealers) to Cardiff Central where there are many more nice places to eat. TBH it’s not that far by car to the town centre car parks either.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Dim sum in Happy Gathering, just got back from there now actually.

mechanicaldope

The bay isn’t far. Loads of places in there I would have thought.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The bay is mostly chain restaurants.

taxi25
    Free Member

No one who knows Cardiff is allowed to laugh at this suggestion. You’ll be on Penarth road anyway so follow it back in towards town and try “The Grange”. Historically a dump drinking den, but has new owners who’ve given it a complete makeover, craft beers, interesting menu the lot. I’ve been there a few times and am happy to reccomend it. There might be a local or two in there, but their quite tame.

andrewreay

schrickvr6

Dim sum in Happy Gathering, just got back from there now actually.

That’s a blast from the past. Used to go there a lot…

…20 years ago!

Hope it’s still as good as it used to be.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Where to get a decent lunch on the outskirts of Cardiff?’ is closed to new replies.